Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Don't buy this car
By Linda sheppard

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have lt2 large engine. I bought it with 9000 miles on it. The first year I had new struts installed. New catalitic converter, in shop now to have sensor replaced. The thing that shows tire pressure doesn't work. Cannot keep pressure in right front tire. This year alone I have spent one thousand dollars. Will trade it very soon. Beware. It rides very rough, like a truck without shocks. Very hard on tires. Lots of road noise. I hate this car. In my 76 years I've never had but one other car as bad and it was a 2981 Chevy t top Monte Carlo. No more Chevys for me.

Good vehicle for short or long trips
By Julana

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this vehicle since 2010 and has been a very good vehicle, it travels very well and is roomy for storage, hauling things in the back and people sitting in front and back. The only thing about an HHR is when you open the windows just a little bit in the back, you get a rumbling sound like big truck sounds, but other than that, it is a great vehicle.

no title
By alan schoenthal

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Worst car ever!
By Jennifer O

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has been a complete disappointment and frustration to me since day one.... I bought it used from a reputable dealer with approx. 53,000 miles. It had clean Carfax. I am a seasoned driver and drive very carefully. My car has never been involved in any accidents, floods, or serious storms as long as I have been its owner. In the 3 years I have owned it, I have had to replace the ignition cylinder (because my car wouldn't turn off), the fuse block, the BCM, the control arm- twice, the power steering motor, and the front passenger window motor. I had to have the entire electrical system re-wired. Both before and after replacing all the wiring, the "service airbag" icon and message have remained on constantly. Frequently, the front passenger seatbelt locks-up inside the car wall near the door, making it impossible for anyone to pull it out and fasten it to sit in the front passenger seat. I have had to replace the brakes- 3 times. I have had to purchase 5 tires in the past 3 months because it keeps coming out of alignment. I spent almost $1500 3 days ago replacing my shocks & struts, welding a crack in my exhaust, once again fixing the control arm, repairing an oil leak, and replacing spark plugs and seals ruined by the oil leak. Yesterday as I was driving to work, the "service ESC" light and "reduced traction" message appeared and never turned off. Today, the check engine icon and a "reduced power" message came on, while the car sputtered, lurching forward and then almost dying, then lurching, then nearly dying, in a never ending cycle. I am upside down by nearly $7000 as literally all of my savings and that of my loved ones has gone into the neverending, constant stream of repairs. It won't stop. Every time I turn around something new- serious and expensive- is wrong. It is the worst car I have ever owned in my life. I would not recommend this car to my worst enemy, and I don't feel safe driving it. I would junk it the first chance I have, but it's the only car I have, and I'll be paying for it for another 2 1/2 years- IF it makes it that long. Just the WORST!!

Key Stuck Problems
By kingshahid

2009 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April 2012. My battery died and so I called GM. GM boosted the car with their roadside assistance resulting in a stiff steering wheel that couldn't be turned. My keys got stuck in the ignition as well. Both problems where resolved but my auto starter (oem) was blown in the process that was not fixed by local Chevrolet Bob Myers. So I had let the issue go with them since I thought they had done enough for me. 2 weeks later (mind you I barely drove the car in this period) the keys are stuck again in the car. Car is at 88,000 km.

Exterior appeal, big chevrolet signature steering wheel, quick pick up speed, large trunk area, comfortable drive interior feel.

Keys get stuck in ignition