Used 2009 Chevrolet HHR SS SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (7 reviews )

Love my SS
By Randy

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought a new leftover '09. I have owned several Corvettes, an NSX and a Viper and this is absolutely the most fun and best vehicle of them all! The power is so smooth you don't realize how fast it is until you look at the speedometer. I love my SS.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, comfort, everything.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone complains about the cup holders and they are awkward, but I don't know where else they would put them. Besides, I didn't buy it for the cup holders!

Great value, performance and utility
By JB

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My HHR SS has exceeded expectations. The car has excellent power and handling, with plenty of usable cargo space and very good mileage. It also has good visibility and a comfortable ride. A unique and well done vehicle by GM.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive with strong and economical engine combined with 5 sp manual. Efficient use of space. Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats and auto climate control as options. Center console/more interior storage.

HHR SS->is a "BLAST"
By bcom76

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I ended up with this car completely by accident.I was not looking for a new car but happened to be given an HHR as a rental car.My first thoughts were- what else is available.However,it did not take me long to really appreciate this car/suv.I like it so much that when I returned home I researched the HHR and bought an SS.I traded a an suv that I really liked-a 2007 Tahoe LTZ and I have not been disappointed.This HHR SS is comfortable,stylish,economical and,when needed,very fast. An excellent purchase and I have no regrets.A fun car overall!!

Favorite Features

the SS features- exterior,interior,badging,fog lamps and TURBO.

Suggested Improvements

better cupholders,tilt steering wheel,heated seats.

Road trip to California
By John in AZ

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We purchased our 2009 HHR SS in March in anticipation of a vacation trip to California's wine country in June. We just got back to Arizona. What a blast in the HHR! The car easily achieved 400 miles or more per tankful of gas. Cruising out to LA and coming back on I- 10, the car averaged 29.5 MPG doing 80 MPH. Driving up the coast through Big Sur, the car handled great on the curves and up the hills. When we needed to pass slower cars on the single lane roads it was great to downshift into 4th, punch the accelerator, feel the turbo kick in, and pass the slower car like it was standing still. After spending 8 days and 2100 miles in the car, we are ready to go again!

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, color (Victory Red), SS turbo kick, comfortable seats, plenty of storage, great gas mileage, DIC information center, great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Warning signs inside the car reminding drivers that suddenly flooring the accelerator in the HHR SS can lead to a sudden spike in heart rate, and is not recommended for those with a heart condition.

Great Bang for Your Buck
By wade

2009 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is a lot of fun to drive. I admit it is not a Corvette but it is quite fast and nimble. The way it sticks to the road and corners is awesome. It's a real sleeper-people do not expect much based on how it looks. I have a 35 mile drive to work on a fairly empty mountain road and most people would be afraid to ride with me the way I drive it [hey, that's why we buy the SS] and yet I still get about 25 MPG! Like I said, it's not a Vette. Now for the bad -- the road noise can be unbearable on certain road surfaces. It is so loud I may get ear plugs for 580 westbound. The interior is all hard plastic. The exterior fit is not so good -- my hood sits crooked. But for <$30K great!

Favorite Features

How quick it is and how it handles. I also love the [premium] stereo w/sub. XM radio and OnStar are also great. I also love the fact that it is a practical car...lots of room for the kids and stuff yet still a lot of fun when I'm alone. Oh and the gas millage is a huge plus.

Suggested Improvements

Turbo charge the 2.4L engine and give it all wheel drive. With the extra horses they could afford the weight of some sound damping material to quiet the EXCESSIVE road noise. I would gladly pay another $5K and lesser gas mileage. What a contender it would be!