2009 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Key Stuck Problems
By kingshahid on 07/31/12 12:10 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in April 2012. My battery died and so I called GM. GM boosted the car with their roadside assistance resulting in a stiff steering wheel that couldn't be turned. My keys got stuck in the ignition as well. Both problems where resolved but my auto starter (oem) was blown in the process that was not fixed by local Chevrolet Bob Myers. So I had let the issue go with them since I thought they had done enough for me. 2 weeks later (mind you I barely drove the car in this period) the keys are stuck again in the car. Car is at 88,000 km.

LT 2.4 auto
By monkfarm on 10/30/11 08:22 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my HHR 2.4 LT at 8100 miles. I am a spirited driver. The suspension is antiquated. Look under the rear and discover the solid axle. (I have had 3 bmws). That said, the car starts well and is dependable, and is a good solid car for hauling my wife and 4 dogs. (the back seat folds down.) There is not enough storage in the front and the front corner of the dash tends to bother my knee on long trips. The drivers seat isn't bad, but could be improved. The dimmer switch seems to make the headlights disappear for a microsecond which is irritating. The torque steer when you really stomp on it is pronounced. This car is pretty good on long trips and doesn't handle badly. I enjoy it

By 1badstroker on 08/07/11 09:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my 2009 HHr in 4/10 and it has had more problems that all my cars I owned in 40 plus years. The pass. side power windows quit after about 4 weeks of ownership and the drivers side front and rear floors were wet. This water caused the wires to corrode and the ecm to go out which caused the windows to get no power. The dealer fixed this under good will. Then after that the dealer fixed another short and then after a time the key would not come out of the ignition. The dealer replaced the shifter and the ignition switch and that has corrected the problem. Since then I had to replace the battery and front brakes. All good now.

Not looking forward to warranty running out
By b0ds on 05/26/11 00:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased this car new back in '09. It's good on gas and not too bad for road trips. A taller person like myself might find themselves hunched over to see out the windshield though. The ignition went bad within the first year. One day we just couldn't turn the car off, the ignition had locked up and you couldnt turn the key to shut it off. Had to pull the fuel pump fuse to kill the car. We've had to have the brake rotors and pads replaced a couple times. Most recently we had to replace a leaking front strut. All this before the car reached 27k miles. Havnt had to pay for repairs, but the warranty ends soon. I would not purchase another one.

'great' little car
By p on 11/26/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I really, really like this car! Fun to drive, got it with 14500 K miles and still in warranty with all the bells and whistles. Won't say I love it cause it is just a material object but really, really like it. So far no problems with anything. MPG would be great if I didn't have a lead foot, but that is what the cruise if for! I would recommend it to others.

Love my HHR
By lardeawit on 11/05/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is the first new chevrolet I have purchased I got hooked on the HHR when I rented one while my Toyota was in the shop. When I got my toyota back from the shop I went down to the Chevrolet dealer and traded it in on my HHR. Up until now I have always owned a Toyota. I get 25 mpg city and 31 highway.

What a Blast!
By Tim on 10/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car, used from a dealer about 2 hrs from my home. It was the closest HHR with all the things I wanted in it. It has been Great since day 1. I drive from NC to NY every 2 weeks for work and it is a pleasure to drive.I get about 28-29 mpg while cruising at about 75 mph.My dog rides in the back and is very comfortable or so he says.It gets a lot of looks but more often than not, people don't know what kind of car it is.I think that's changing because I see a lot more of them on the road these days.I know mine will be on I-95 for a long time to come.

Amazing Multipurpose Vehicle
By max solano on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR Panel SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This started as my Monday through Friday vehicle. In the 18 months, and 65,000 miles I have owned it, it has become my weekend car as well. The sports car and the truck have been relegated to the back of the driveway. This HHR SS serves as a daily driver and a weekend hauler. Great acceleration and great gas mileage if you stay out of the turbo's maximum boost. Noisy cabin at speed and entirely too much plastic used in the interior, but still FUN to drive. Have only had one issue with the clutch slave cylinder, but Chevy covered the repair under warranty. Other than that,the vehicle has only had oil and filter changes. Changed out the Michelin tires at 45k miles, Conti's have improved ride.

BRAKES
By crybabby on 10/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just got it and the brakes squeak. It seems like it may be a problem. I am not the only one with it. And it's funny it happened after i bought it, not on the test drive. Didn't like the car when saw it, but after driving it and getting used to all the blind spots I fell in love. If you are going to get on the hwy. Turn ac off, You will get more power pick up. Oh yeah, cup holders, what were they thinking.

Fun to drive, it's a gas
By Linda on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

We couldn't be happier with our HHR. Great fun to drive and it looks wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone. It's the perfect "dog" car. One of our friends told us that and he was right. We have 2 rescued greyhounds and it is perfect for them. They have plenty of room with the back seats down. We did not have to give up the fuel economy for the extra room we needed. It is a perfect fit for us!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet HHR in VA is:

$115 per month*