2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Review: Red Rocket

2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Review

SS Wagon (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual)

Red Rocket
By Dave Henry on

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car sight unseen, and it had a different seat than the one I tested, and also a sunroof, both of which cut into the very limited headroom. The car is a blast to drive, especially since I added the dealer installed turbo upgrade. Handling and precise steering are surprising in a retro wagon. I have major problems seeing out of the car. The roofless/windshield design make me crouch down to see overhead traffic lights, and the center windshield rear view mirror obstruct vision severely. Also, there's a huge blind spot when changing lanes. The 4 speed auto is missing at least one gear, as the turbo is always trying to make up for the huge gaps. I'd get the manual trans next time.

The motor is very powerful, yet economical. There's plenty of cargo space. I love the styling, and with the SS trim, it gets even better. The steering is very good; precise, and accurate.

I don't know how they'd do it, but the sight lines are beyond terrible for a tall person. They're actually unsafe. The engine has a decided rattle on cold starts, but all SS's do it, so I guess it's normal, just off-putting. I'm actually looking for a replacement, even though I love the car. Not safe