Practical, Fun and Stylish (for some)
By 87silver on
2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)
I bought an HHR because I need a practical vehicle with good gas mileage. For those who like the '40s chopped top hot rod look, the HHR hits the mark and surely is set apart from its Asian counterparts. I see the hard surfaces in the interior as a virtue, since my kids always come back muddy from bicycle sports events and its durable as easy to clean for this purpose. I opted for the SS version that was engineered by GM Performance Division. It handles like a sports car and has the acceleration of a rocket. My experience with actual fuel mileage is about 27.5mpg for combined 70/30 hwy/city with the 2.0L Turbo. I'm very happy with my HHR SS and it fits my specific transportation needs well.
Favorite Features
The HHR SS Turbo is so much fun to drive that it is almost addictive. I didn't expect this level of driving experience. The styling is "love or hate". If you understand what it represents, you'll be a supporter. I am a hot rod fan and this is a little piece of styling nostalgia that hits the mark.
Suggested Improvements
The standard transmission models do not have center arm rests on the seats. This is so that they do not get in the way for shifting. But for long highway trips when shifting is less required, it would have been nice to have them fold down when needed, then fold back for city driving.