Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

2008 HHR LT
By Big Dog

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Since Purchase have put 8K on with no issues at all. 2LT Pkg great and radio with upgraded speakers is very good. Car comfortable but I will never get used to the window buttons in the middle console! 17 inch tires great on dry pavement/wet but snow is so-so. Well satistfied so far!

Favorite Features

Stereo, leather power heated seats. Looks with chrome pkg, Good MPG, in dash storage compartment.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate window controls, also need more storage somewhere

Love this car
By Phil Burch

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I have made 2 trips from Phx. Az to Bogalusa, Louisiana (1551 miles) this year and have averaged over 37 miles per gallon. Our gas only cost us $60 each way. Not bad at all. It is very comfortable on a long trip and has plenty of space for luggage and our dog. On the long stretches I put it on cruise control and she just hummed up and down hills. We love this car.

Favorite Features

We like the Cardinal Red paint scheme cause it almost looks like Candy Apple Red. The interior is clean and everything is handy. The seats are very comfortable and the instruments are clear and visible. The storage under the rear deck is also very convenient. We also like the running boards.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any. They have pretty much hit the nail on the head with this car. This is my 10th Chevy.

Fun little red milk wagon.
By NYer in Calgary

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When my wife & I were looking for a commuter car, we started at Honda (you want how much!?), went to Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda, & Nissan (almost went with the Rogue); our last stop was at the good old Chevy dealer as an almost patriotic afterthought but we were pleasantly surprised by the value of this car, gets acceptable mileage, lots of stock doodads, power is adequate (but surprising for a 4 banger). With the rear seats folded it holds lots. It can even be used as the family of 4 car (or short time replacement when the sport ute or mini van is being serviced). Yep, we think it was a great buy and would recommend. (Just wish we went with the LT for the better seats & don't get the sunroof).

Favorite Features

Plenty of room for a small car. Good bright standard lights. OnStar. Better "Ole Stylin" than your granpa's sweater vest.

Suggested Improvements

Put car window switches back on the doors (just like god intended). Better interior night lighting. Skinny up the front window posts. Wider view side mirrors standard. Better mileage on this engine.

Gets better with every mile
By loopdriver

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I was drawn to the HHR by its combination small-ish size but generous cargo space. I read the reviews, pro and con, and took a test drive. Initially, I wasn't hooked. The test drive was in a loaded LT, which made the car too costly and too gadget-laden to make me leery of potentially costly repairs. My interest in the car held, however, and a year later I test drove an LS with essentially just ABS and side airbags as options (std on the '09s). I liked it. Bought it. Have been driving it for 6 months and still am happy. Very comfortable. Handles well. Lots of fun to drive. Took about a week to adjust to the short windshield and "blind" spots, but no big deal.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive and maneuvers quick. You sit a bit higher than in a car, so good visibility.

Suggested Improvements

As others have said, change cupholder placement and add about 2" more windshield at the top. The center PW buttons are no big deal for me.

Update to 5/26 Review
By bb

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I still really enjoy this car after driving it for about 6 months. I've had no problems at all and have noticed quite a few more on the roads lately. The gas mileage isn't quite what I was hoping for - only about 22 mpg, doing almost all city driving - but I can still go 2-3 weeks between fill-ups. I'm still very happy with the LS model, it may not be as fast or as stylish as the LT or SS models, but for just driving back and forth to work and around town it works perfectly.

Favorite Features

I really like the cargo space when the rear seat is folded down. There are also a couple of extra little cargo spaces built into the rear area that I just recently discovered. They aren't huge, but are a good place to store an emergency blanket, flashlight, etc.

Suggested Improvements

My biggest complaint is the lack of storage area in the front. The glove box built in the dash is awkward at best and the little space under the radio is pretty much useless. Another console area for storage, especially for CD's, would be a nice addition.