Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

The mystery igniton problem!
By Robert Reynolds

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The HHR gets great mileage on long trips about 33mpg, however mine is a manual transmission. The interior needs more cup holders there are only three right down the center console. So with that said there are two in the front and only one in the back for rear passengers. This is a very fun car to drive and is very soild like a truck but rides like a car.

I like the folding rear seats and the amount of storage behind the rear seats, most larger suv's don't even come close to the storage or gas mileage of this vehicle. Also I average about 25mpg around town with this car.

Chevrolet needs to figure out the wiring problems with this vehicles ignition switch, I have had 3 put in and I just reached 17,600 miles. The cloth seat material has also worn out and the driver's seat had to be replaced after I vacuumed it the material simply came apart, and it was not a seam.

enjoy your hhr today !!
By e.n. beatty[canada]

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A BASIC hhr with a 5spd and a2.2, no traction control, no abs just a plain maroon colored 4door fun car that runs on reg. Gas and gives me a true 30 mpg in the city. Replaced oil with full synthetic and a k&n air filter. Bought it new right off the truck, has 16,000 miles and one visit to the dealer. The hhr has done exactly what I want. It handles great at 75 mph with no wavering behind the big rigs. The steering is sharp and precise however the torque steer is a brute. Behind the driver the available space is amazing. The build quality is on the hi side of good and the paint job was excellent. Overall I'm pleased and oh yes I drive it hard and fast no slakkin in the sun. Gas, clutch, gone.

overall size, shape and exterior visual iimpact.exterior layout is very inviting to be customized.e.g.the panel van

cup holders are a real pain especially with a stick shift. no tie down rings on the rear deck gate. not enough bling yet for this vehicle. take the 4 wheel drive from toyota matrix and drop it in the hhr.

Back in black and no windows
By Dennis L

2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A head turner you'd think I have the only black panel hhr in NE ohio. I put custom black wheels on it and that is it. Everyone has something positive to say about it everywhere I happen to park. A friend at work bought one a week after seeing mine. Nuff said there, contagious I say! I have to admit I first only bought because I nailed the price. The dealership didn't even fill my tank! I stole it and really didn't care that the only gas left was what I had put in it for my test drive. I don't use cheap gas anyway in my cars (there is a difference in performance), I don't care what you drive. So the HHR has won me over and the vehicle is perfect for my horse duties, the truck stays put.

Style, performance of the 2.2L. Paint is really nice and deep shine. Handles well and is quiet. Seats for a 6'3" guy are very comfortable, leg room is great. Stock radio and speakers are really good. That shocked me how well the sound is for a stock item. No windows means less heat when parked.

Telescopic steering wheel. A better hidden muffler. I'm going to paint mine black to match the Panel Wagon.

All frosting- no cake
By Fritzo2162

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The HHR looks sharp on the outside. Nice curves, cool retro looks, good paint. However, the inside looks like something out of a 1980's era car. Cheap foam plastic that scratches easily covers every inch of the cabin. The standard stereo puts the speakers on the floor, so it sounds muddy. Windshield is very small, so your field of view is a bit limited. The sunroof works well and the controls for it are well placed. There's also a handy in-dash storage space that holds an IPod, GPS, sunglasses, etc. There are three poorly places cup holders (which makes a trip in a car build for 4 interesting), back seat is very cramped.

Great gas mileage with 2.2L (30mpg+ on hwy!). Acceleration is nice despite smaller engine. Sun roof controls are well thought out. Dashboard gauges are easy to read.

The interior of this car is exactly why the US car industry has the image that it does. Embarrassingly cheap foam plastic, awkward window controls, cramped passenger space, a tiny windshield, and the fact I've had to have the car in for brake service 3 times in a year = poor car. Skip this turkey.

Fun
By bob's card house

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

14 months 18000 Miles. LT2 w/2.4L engine. Most fun I've had in 35 years. Demoed the 2.2 bought the 2.4 engine. Stronger engine, fatter tires, tighter suspension made it a completely different vehicle. It loves to be driven. Average economy about 27, trips yield 35. Hard plastic door panels make it easy to knock WI snow off shoes. Installed new "studless snow tires" all around and winter traction and handling were nearly as good as summer time. I'm 6'2" and I can't sit in ANY car with a sunroof.

2.4 engine and sport tuned suspension. Excellent 7 speaker sound system. Both part of the LT2 package. Also have the leather seats. Also tows behind my motor home without a trailer or vehicle modifications.

Power window controls are different, but so are steering wheel mounted controls and windshield wiper/washer control positions. But one can learn.