2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Gets the job done
By okeydokey on 03/23/09 10:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Good Gas mileage and decent room. Quieter and more solid feeling than the Vibe. Merging onto the express way can be a challenge as the little motor tries as best it can.

HHR Build Quality Questionable...
By Redlinetoys on 03/18/09 18:15 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I get 35mpg on the highway (manual trans) and about 24 in town. The styling is good and it is fun to drive for the money. I baby the vehicle and take extreme care of it, but question what I am up for long term regarding quality (based on experience so far). Month 1 headliner rattle getting worse fast, Month 2 Engine squeal needs repaired through service bulletin, Month 3 gold chevy emblem on back has water in it, Month 4 noticed knock in front suspension when cold, Month 5 brakes squeal at EVERY stop, Month 6 inside coat hook is stuck in up position, Month 7 Window grease in door is streaking driver window, Month 8 radio quits. Haven't had it 9 months yet. Wonder what is next??????

Fun to drive and good gas mileage
By Marty on 03/16/09 06:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a car that had good gas mileage, was sporty-looking and had a lot of interior room. I have dogs and with the back seats folded down, there is plenty of room for dogs or cargo. The seats are very comfortable compared to some of the other smaller vehicles I have driven. The HHR is perfect for what I wanted in a car.

sweeeet ss
By elcaminoman on 03/04/09 17:11 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our first new car was a great choice. Has been fun to own. Rides smooth and quiet. The blue splash is flashy. Sporty yet large enough for cargo. Maneuvers easy. We have 10,000. Miles on it and are very satisfied.

Fun Car
By Reb on 02/26/09 16:52 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first Chevy I ever bought new and I am quite happy with it. It is fun to drive, great looks and flexible. I got it with the running boards and roof rack it finishes of the car. The ride is much better then I anticipated.

My Favorite Ride!
By Lippy on 02/16/09 18:53 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Actually fell for this car first time I saw it. Been waiting a few years for GM to work out the bugs in it. I love it, and is just fun to drive. Gas mileage great, and enjoy driving the 5-speed manual for a change. Love the retro body style!

You get what you pay for
By Murgatriyd on 01/08/09 10:07 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Serves its purpose for my wife's business. Very good cargo room with the seats folded down. Decent interior room. We looked at everything in that class that was under 20 thousand and this seemed like the best.

2008 HHR LT
By Big Dog on 01/03/09 21:58 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Since Purchase have put 8K on with no issues at all. 2LT Pkg great and radio with upgraded speakers is very good. Car comfortable but I will never get used to the window buttons in the middle console! 17 inch tires great on dry pavement/wet but snow is so-so. Well satistfied so far!

Love this car
By Phil Burch on 12/31/08 09:58 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I have made 2 trips from Phx. Az to Bogalusa, Louisiana (1551 miles) this year and have averaged over 37 miles per gallon. Our gas only cost us $60 each way. Not bad at all. It is very comfortable on a long trip and has plenty of space for luggage and our dog. On the long stretches I put it on cruise control and she just hummed up and down hills. We love this car.

Fun little red milk wagon.
By NYer in Calgary on 12/02/08 21:45 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When my wife & I were looking for a commuter car, we started at Honda (you want how much!?), went to Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda, & Nissan (almost went with the Rogue); our last stop was at the good old Chevy dealer as an almost patriotic afterthought but we were pleasantly surprised by the value of this car, gets acceptable mileage, lots of stock doodads, power is adequate (but surprising for a 4 banger). With the rear seats folded it holds lots. It can even be used as the family of 4 car (or short time replacement when the sport ute or mini van is being serviced). Yep, we think it was a great buy and would recommend. (Just wish we went with the LT for the better seats & don't get the sunroof).

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Chevrolet HHR in NJ is:

$193 per month*