Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

HHR SS - A True Sleeper
By Powerman

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, the HHR SS is great for those who need the practicality of a small wagon, but want a surprising balance of performance for the value. Styling preference is very split for this model. If you like 40's retro hot- rods, then this is for you. Dollar for dollar, although not as socially prestigious, from a performance perspective. A GM Perf upgrade is available that maintains the full factory warranty, but raises the power quotients to from stock 260hp/260ft lbs torque to 290hp/315ft lbs torque. Torque steer is mitigated by a standard launch control program.

The HHR SS is a true sleeper; Unexpected performance and handling thanks to the factory 260hp 260 ft/lbs torque can spin the wheels in 3rd if desired. The launch control and competitive modes are also something you wouldn't expect is such a practical platform.

No dome light override. A console rattle had to be found and stopped. A lift glass on the rear liftgate hatch would have been nice (the glass is fixed on the rear hatch).

Mostly Like it
By GM

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive for the money, great on gas,I get about 28 mpg on high way. Very comfortable for the size. I have put about 10,000 miles on the car so far and still like it a lot. I have a small sailboat and this little car is able to tow it without a problem. Two issues I do have is the small windshield makes it hard to see stop lights turn green and to replace a headlight is very awkward, removing front tires to get at the bulbs.

I love the exterior styling, remote start and fog lights

Easier access to headlight bulbs, better interior lights for the front seats

No more American cars
By Wish I skipped this

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At first the car was great! Then both remotes died the first year-2x! The brakes are terrible! THEIR brochure for scheduled maintenance says they 'visually inspect' them. What good is that if I need new brakes? I can't get new (better) ones without nullifying the warranty. So I'm stuck with theirs. When the rotors get wet and I brake, the entire front panel shakes. I've already repaired it 2x (warranty) and it has occurred again. I don't live in the desert so why have a design that warps when wet? I had a Saturn SL1 from 1995-2001 which sat lower than this car and never had this problem. This is my LAST American car. Saturn shouldn't be the GM branch closing!! And hubcaps? SERIOUSLY!?!

400-425mi per tank; excellent acceleration on highway; GREAT sound system; auto body is beautiful

Fix warping DEFECT - makes the car feel like a toy; lose hubcaps on EVERY model; use quality brake pads that can actually be replaced when NEEDED without waiting until rotors will be damaged AND without being cost prohibitive. A 5 person car needs 5 cup holders. Raise radio/window controls - SAFETY

Gotta love this car!!
By LB

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

All I can say is "Man is this car fun to drive!" And I'm just finishing up about 10 years of driving a BMW 5 series and X-5. The torque and acceleration are just awesome in this car, and I don't even have the Stage 1 Kit installed yet. Even though I have an AT rather than Manual, it is still fast and still fun. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I'm sure the glamor will wear off, but for right now, this car is a blast to drive. I can't speak for the other versions, but the SS is the way to go if you are into performance as well as looks.

The turbo is great, and I love the little boost meter on the left side. The gas mileage is much better than my x-5. And although the back area is pretty small, I can still fit my golf clubs back there, which is all that matters.

Having some tint on the driver and passenger windows. Deeper cup holders. Homelink garage door opener in the visor. The Stage 1 kit as an option. Painted break calipers. Headrest DVD system.

No Customer Service here!
By Tracy Tharp

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My HHR has had wind noise and water leak issues from the first month I have had it. Who wants to pay thousands of dollars over many years for a new car that has been a lemon from the start. It is now leaking for the fourth time and really (?!), wouldn't you think that Chevy would step up and not make me fight for what is right? But they are not! I am going to have to contact a lawyer! That's not customer service!

There is absolutely no feature worth mentioning!

Make a quality car that doesn't leak and is sealed properly!