2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
HHR SS - A True Sleeper
By Powerman on 12/15/09 19:39 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, the HHR SS is great for those who need the practicality of a small wagon, but want a surprising balance of performance for the value. Styling preference is very split for this model. If you like 40's retro hot- rods, then this is for you. Dollar for dollar, although not as socially prestigious, from a performance perspective. A GM Perf upgrade is available that maintains the full factory warranty, but raises the power quotients to from stock 260hp/260ft lbs torque to 290hp/315ft lbs torque. Torque steer is mitigated by a standard launch control program.

Mostly Like it
By GM on 12/06/09 14:36 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive for the money, great on gas,I get about 28 mpg on high way. Very comfortable for the size. I have put about 10,000 miles on the car so far and still like it a lot. I have a small sailboat and this little car is able to tow it without a problem. Two issues I do have is the small windshield makes it hard to see stop lights turn green and to replace a headlight is very awkward, removing front tires to get at the bulbs.

No more American cars
By Wish I skipped this on 11/02/09 17:14 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

At first the car was great! Then both remotes died the first year-2x! The brakes are terrible! THEIR brochure for scheduled maintenance says they 'visually inspect' them. What good is that if I need new brakes? I can't get new (better) ones without nullifying the warranty. So I'm stuck with theirs. When the rotors get wet and I brake, the entire front panel shakes. I've already repaired it 2x (warranty) and it has occurred again. I don't live in the desert so why have a design that warps when wet? I had a Saturn SL1 from 1995-2001 which sat lower than this car and never had this problem. This is my LAST American car. Saturn shouldn't be the GM branch closing!! And hubcaps? SERIOUSLY!?!

Gotta love this car!!
By LB on 11/02/09 13:29 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

All I can say is "Man is this car fun to drive!" And I'm just finishing up about 10 years of driving a BMW 5 series and X-5. The torque and acceleration are just awesome in this car, and I don't even have the Stage 1 Kit installed yet. Even though I have an AT rather than Manual, it is still fast and still fun. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I'm sure the glamor will wear off, but for right now, this car is a blast to drive. I can't speak for the other versions, but the SS is the way to go if you are into performance as well as looks.

No Customer Service here!
By Tracy Tharp on 10/08/09 09:23 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My HHR has had wind noise and water leak issues from the first month I have had it. Who wants to pay thousands of dollars over many years for a new car that has been a lemon from the start. It is now leaking for the fourth time and really (?!), wouldn't you think that Chevy would step up and not make me fight for what is right? But they are not! I am going to have to contact a lawyer! That's not customer service!

little white ice cream truck
By SikesPros on 09/07/09 16:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

drives excellent,tires keep going low,nice quiet smooth ride...easy handling..nice stock stereo,cmfo seats,adjustable armrest.

Fun Fun Fun
By nick6222 on 09/01/09 16:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my HHR with 34000 miles on it the only problem i have had is the a/c it makes a funny noise when on but other than that it is great.

family second driver
By mr.m on 08/24/09 10:16 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just purchased used hhr as second vehicle for the family. So far we are enjoying it. Have spent some money on performance upgrades and a set of wheels (had to get rid of those ugly hub caps) now my son doesn't call it lame looking any more. Could use some help in the interior though. Needs the center arm rests located a little higher so you can place a cup in the holder without having to raise the arm rest and it would also make it a little more comfortable. Please keep up the good work in the design of cool looking little economy cars. Not those lame looking hybribs (prius) that the competition makes.

Cute and eyecatching, easy to drive...
By HHRFan on 08/17/09 07:01 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2008 HHR LS is an eye catcher in "orange". Black interior is neat, stays clean looking longer than lighter colors. All controls super easy to use, air, radio, windows, etc.. Fuel economy not as good as advertised but okay. The 2.2 engine is fine around the city but you have to stomp the gas pedal when pulling on to the highway, that is a disappointment, would have liked the larger engine, we learn from our mistakes. Large, easy open tailgate, storage area a big plus, so easy to load and unload. Cabin is pretty quiet, as is the engine..so far...we live in hope. All in all, I do like the vehicle, would recommend for the price, but go to GOOD dealer, don't get ripped off as I did!

It's a personal choice
By elmoresblues on 07/16/09 13:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For me, this was a great buy. Sure, I could have bought a much better car, but not at anywhere near this price (2008 used , 11k miles, under $12g). I have a bad lower back but I can adjust the driver's seat so that I'm comfortable for hours. Mileage is good. Gauge placement is excellent (in my previous sedan, no matter how I adjusted the steering wheel, I couldn't see the speedometer). MP3 connection is a lifesaver on long trips. Visibility could be better. Only 3 cup holders, but I have 5 kids — I can't encourage drinking in the car. I also can't encourage them leaving their belongings, so I enjoy the absence of a storage console. And when I'm alone, I can enjoy a quiet ride.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.