Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Great headroom, storage, stereo & looks!
By 08HHR_SpecialEdition

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2008 HHR Special Edition (which is kind of like the 1LT trim level with some extra slick cosmetics). I get compliments on this car everywhere I go. I have used the storage capabilities of this vehicle countless times. Both the rear seat and the front passenger seats fold down, with extra storage in the "trunk" floor. Quiet ride, great stereo system with the 7" sub in the back. Mechanically, this HHR has performed flawlessly. Not a single problem. Due to the extended rear end of the HHR, there is a blind spot in back that makes merging lanes a bit tougher. Nothing terrible, but check twice before you make your move. Love the HHR!

Favorite Features

Looks, ride, storage, MPG. Best car I've owned in years.

Suggested Improvements

They have fixed this in newer models, but the cup holders are placed annoyingly under the armrests. Addition of electronic blind-zone alerts in the mirrors.

I love my HHR 2LT 2.4
By Irene

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased my 2008 HHR used, it had 25,000 miles on it. Have not had any major issues. Just had a few minor bugs. I must have a lighter foot than some in rural and city driving I avg 26 mpg and on the highway I avg 32. I traded a Mazda 626 in I was looking for another Mazda but was none in stock. Glad I made the switch GM got me back after 20 yrs of owning Dodge and Mazda. I am thinking of going to the SS HHR.

Favorite Features

Excellent seating like being in a pickup. Love the leather. Love the retro styling looks good sitting next to our 1950 Chevy Pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Winter traction has a lot of room for improvement. I guess having the wider sport tire is the issue there. So I have come to the conclusion on snow days I just take the 4 wheel drive truck.

handy liitle thing
By Dom

2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just a handy cute little car. it's comfort seating sit high like a truck good visibility. rides good very fuel economical have done 6.9l/100km in ideal conditions. winter driving affects it i do closer to 8.9/100km. over all very satisfied. except a few front end noises, has to do with suspension, but i had no problem getting them replaced (stabalizer bars)and they could be removed for someone that does not want to be bothered with replacing them.

Favorite Features

like the look, and the space for the size of car the seating room

Suggested Improvements

A little more horse power(it is a bit sluggish)and would be great if it would have integral traction for the winter

HHR good but needs improvements
By star5838

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my HHR in 2008. It really does get 30-32 MPG highway. It is very versatile and easy to drive. You get a lot of nice features for your money. I drive 400-500 miles per week so I spend a lot of time in mine.

Favorite Features

I like the tinted windows, on-star, great leg room (front and back seating). We are tall people with long legs. I can whip a u-turn in a tight spot with ease, and it is a nice little wagon for small loads, trips to the garden store or such.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the shifter for the automatic! Very poorly located cup holders! It the useless shifter was on the column the cup holders could be located forward. The arm rests are dismal, cheesy, at the wrong height and uncomfortable at best, and they armrests make it awkward to latch the safety belts.

2008 HHR
By Mike

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at the height of the Gas problem in 08-It is a spunky little car and fun to drive but mileage is average 26 or so. So far have had front brakes, steering motor and column replaced. Now having issue with front suspension noise. Have the 17 inch Alloy wheels look good but ride rough on this little car. Too many mechanical issues for me am concerned about reliability longer term.

Favorite Features

Looks, fun to drive and holds the road.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality