Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS Consumer Reviews - 24 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS - Consumer Reviews

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (24 reviews )

Practical, Fun and Stylish (for some)
By 87silver

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought an HHR because I need a practical vehicle with good gas mileage. For those who like the '40s chopped top hot rod look, the HHR hits the mark and surely is set apart from its Asian counterparts. I see the hard surfaces in the interior as a virtue, since my kids always come back muddy from bicycle sports events and its durable as easy to clean for this purpose. I opted for the SS version that was engineered by GM Performance Division. It handles like a sports car and has the acceleration of a rocket. My experience with actual fuel mileage is about 27.5mpg for combined 70/30 hwy/city with the 2.0L Turbo. I'm very happy with my HHR SS and it fits my specific transportation needs well.

The HHR SS Turbo is so much fun to drive that it is almost addictive. I didn't expect this level of driving experience. The styling is "love or hate". If you understand what it represents, you'll be a supporter. I am a hot rod fan and this is a little piece of styling nostalgia that hits the mark.

The standard transmission models do not have center arm rests on the seats. This is so that they do not get in the way for shifting. But for long highway trips when shifting is less required, it would have been nice to have them fold down when needed, then fold back for city driving.

I'm buying american again
By Bruce

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The HHR has turned me back were I should be buying American. This vehicle is a lot of fun to drive and some of my co-workers also own HHRs and they just love them. I have a SS and the power is great and I did not have to give up great gas mileage. The HHR is a keeper I am proud to own a chevy and my next car will be a chevy. Thanks for building a car I can be proud of and Love to drive.

The body style and the engine.

The plastic in the interior looks cheap but and could be upgraded to make people love the vehicle even more.

sweeeet ss
By elcaminoman

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our first new car was a great choice. Has been fun to own. Rides smooth and quiet. The blue splash is flashy. Sporty yet large enough for cargo. Maneuvers easy. We have 10,000. Miles on it and are very satisfied.

Favorite features are the sportiness. The handling is exceptional. The ss has some real take-off!

Not much to improve. Husband said mudflaps with ss or bowtie, we will get on our own soon. The ss is pricier but is well worth it.

Love my HHR SS
By Tim

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have almost 3000 miles on the SS. Gas mileage is better than expected so far. I commute 50 miles round trip, mostly the Katy Freeway in Houston. The last four tanks averaged 26.5 mpg (actual calculated miles divided by gallons purchased, not the car's computer mpg display.) My previous vehicle was a 2000 Tahoe, a great truck with no problems. The handling and acceleration of the SS is great. I don't have the brake issues other posters have noted. I plan to put a lot of miles on the car.

Top storage bin on dash, great gas mileage, overall performance, styling. (I learned to drive on a 1948 Chevy pickup so the appearance is in my "heritage.")

A little more headroom. (I have sunroof and I am 6'2". I have about an inch of headroom, as much as I had with my '98 Blazer with sunroof.) Also a telescoping steering wheel for better hand and arm positioning. A better selection of interior colors; black (or ebony combinations are not my favorite.)

Fun Car
By Jim

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was looking for a retro style car, was looking at PT Cruisers, when I stopped in to the local Chevy store. I didn't know they were making the SS verison. Drove both and for the extra bucks the turbo is well worth the extra. It's a fun car to drive with the 5 speed. Under hard acceleration have a good grip on the steering wheel, there is a lot of torque steer. I guess they have relocated the window switches because mine are on the door and the cup holders aren't covered by an arm rest. My only complaint is my right leg rests against the center console and is uncomfortable other than that I really like the car.

Power from the turbo, handling. Extra space with the rear seats down and the good gas mileage.

Can't think of any now, seems Chevy has listened on the window switches and the cup holders.