2008 Chevrolet HHR SS - Consumer Reviews

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (23 reviews )
What a car! Wow
By Richard on 07/27/08 17:58 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car, style, looks, fun. I am a senior who has owned many cars including a 54 Vette, SS396, Mercedes, etc. The HHR SS is a fun car with great mileage and the best thing- It's a Chevy. I am amazed at how well it handles, moves on cue and turns heads. Welcome back GM. Keep making cars like this. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Still too new
By Dave Henry on 07/25/08 12:49 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Only have about 2000 miles so far, but that includes a couple of nice road trips. The first trip was all 2- lane roads of wildly varying altitudes, and lots of corners. The car is very confidence inspiring, with excellent grip, and crisp steering response. I was a bit surprised at this, due to the electric power steering, but hey, it's just my opinion. Maybe the only handling negative is the amount of corner lean when pressing, but considering the car's mission in life, not at all surprising. Averaged about 24.5 mpg in fairly brisk driving. The second trip was 90% freeway, using cruise control.I averaged 28.5 mpg over two tanks with average speeds of 75 mph.

Fun Car!
By Roger Sinden on 07/04/08 19:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought this for my wife's birthday. We looked at a Saturn Sky, but the HHR is more her style. This thing can run fast, corners like a sports car, rides well, has lots of nice amenities. Will do another review after 10,000 miles. We are getting an average 28.8 mpg with mixed driving. She loves it. So do I. Comfortable for four adults. Only downer so far is the cup holders are inconvenient. We have put about 580 miles on the car, it is so fun to drive it is hard to leave this car home.

SS all the way!
By James on 06/27/08 14:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

If you're looking for a powerful, economical, and roomy vehicle, the Chevrolet HHR SS is for you! This vehicle has it all! 260 hp, Onstar, airbags everywhere, tinted windows, 18" alloy wheels, lots of cargo room, and head-turning good looks. It's faster than most SUV's and CUV's out there, has more cargo room than most, and gets between 23 and 26 mpg combined. OnStar, XM satellite radio, and hands-free calling are all standard. For a few extra bucks, you can add the OnStar navigation package. The only two gripes I have about the vehicle are no grab handles and the engine is a little on the noisy side. Overall, a total winner!

A Joy To Own
By Victoria Smith on 06/20/08 07:24 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After the purchase of my vehicle I begin to love it more than when I purchased it. The vehicle has looks, power, handles great and it is fun to drive. If Chevy continues to build this vehicle and make in a way that it is fun to drive we will add a second one to our household. And now the with the economy as it is and my vehicle is averaging about 31mpg on the highway and it did not cost a small fortune to own it, I am back home with American cars again. Go Chevy!

Worth the 24,000 out the door
By chris on 06/11/08 00:31 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun car. Love the old school exterior. Great on gas. I'm an avid surfer and my 9,8" longboard fits in the car. Makes a forty year old family man feel like hes back in the neighborhood! For what I paid for it thers not a better car on the market.

Best Buy for the Money
By Kevin on 06/01/08 14:25 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We been driving this car for about a month and each day we love it more and more. Gets great gas milage, handles great, and when you need to move the turbo kicks in. Plenty of room inside for a small car. I'm 6 ft tall, 210lbs and there is plenty of knee and head room. We have two younger kids and they love it.

Sweet!
By Joe on 05/24/08 07:56 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I am used to driving big trucks, but in order to economize I was on a search for a smaller car that had personality. Was I in for a big surprise, the vehicle feels big inside with plenty of headroom and elbow room to spare (I'm 6'0' and about 200 LBS) interior has really good fit and finish although the materials can be a little better, it has plenty of storage space with many hidden compartments. Engine performance impressed me because it does not feel like the if the vehicle is coming apart on hard acceleration, handling and braking are both top notch and they work hand in hand with the engine power. I drove the 2.2L and 2.4L engine's but I will definetly suggest upgrading to the SS.

2008 HHR SS
By Lew Jump on 05/15/08 13:01 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

We bought the SS HHR a few weeks ago and I have few complaints. The car looks and drives great - I especially like the turbo power for passing and climbing hills. The front bucket seats are made for small, slim people. I'm 5' 7" and if I was one inch taller, my head would touch the roof. The seat side bolsters bite into the side of my back - not too comfortable on long trips. After a 1,200 mile trip last weekend I got 25.2 mpg but the tailpipe got really carboned up and the oil got pretty dirty. Dealer says "it's normal" - which I doubt. Oil was somewhat overfilled from the factory and I'm hoping it just blew out, causing the tailpipe (somewhat oily) buildup - time will tell.

Forget the other models.....get the SS!
By drstein1977 on 04/27/08 15:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just bought this car last week, SS models are hard to come by. I have to say I am glad I didn't get the 2lt, this thing blows away the other HHRs I test drove. I have the automatic so there's less HP but the design and features on this thing are second to none. No turbo lag and this thing hugs corners as well as my 2000 Trans AM WS6! Definitely a good family car with a very sporty edge! Two tone interior is nice. Extra options I bought: 7speaker pioneer system, sunroof, XM radio, and other cool stuff. Definitely get the SS!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.