2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Great headroom, storage, stereo & looks!
By 08HHR_SpecialEdition on 05/12/10 17:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2008 HHR Special Edition (which is kind of like the 1LT trim level with some extra slick cosmetics). I get compliments on this car everywhere I go. I have used the storage capabilities of this vehicle countless times. Both the rear seat and the front passenger seats fold down, with extra storage in the "trunk" floor. Quiet ride, great stereo system with the 7" sub in the back. Mechanically, this HHR has performed flawlessly. Not a single problem. Due to the extended rear end of the HHR, there is a blind spot in back that makes merging lanes a bit tougher. Nothing terrible, but check twice before you make your move. Love the HHR!

I love my HHR 2LT 2.4
By Irene on 05/07/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased my 2008 HHR used, it had 25,000 miles on it. Have not had any major issues. Just had a few minor bugs. I must have a lighter foot than some in rural and city driving I avg 26 mpg and on the highway I avg 32. I traded a Mazda 626 in I was looking for another Mazda but was none in stock. Glad I made the switch GM got me back after 20 yrs of owning Dodge and Mazda. I am thinking of going to the SS HHR.

handy liitle thing
By Dom on 04/05/10 16:37 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR Panel LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Just a handy cute little car. it's comfort seating sit high like a truck good visibility. rides good very fuel economical have done 6.9l/100km in ideal conditions. winter driving affects it i do closer to 8.9/100km. over all very satisfied. except a few front end noises, has to do with suspension, but i had no problem getting them replaced (stabalizer bars)and they could be removed for someone that does not want to be bothered with replacing them.

HHR good but needs improvements
By star5838 on 03/06/10 15:33 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my HHR in 2008. It really does get 30-32 MPG highway. It is very versatile and easy to drive. You get a lot of nice features for your money. I drive 400-500 miles per week so I spend a lot of time in mine.

2008 HHR
By Mike on 02/18/10 21:19 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at the height of the Gas problem in 08-It is a spunky little car and fun to drive but mileage is average 26 or so. So far have had front brakes, steering motor and column replaced. Now having issue with front suspension noise. Have the 17 inch Alloy wheels look good but ride rough on this little car. Too many mechanical issues for me am concerned about reliability longer term.

Just the Car I Needed
By Clay on 02/01/10 07:12 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I needed something reliable, got good gas mileage, and could carry a bunch of stuff. My 2008 HHR does all that! I average ~26 to ~27 MPG and have been amazed at all the stuff I can carry in the back with the seats folded down. Extra storage UNDER the floor is nice also when you want to keep handtools hidden. I could use a little more leg room for my left leg when driving though [the wheel well kinda sticks up there] and the center window controls take some getting used to. Heat/A/C work wonderfully and sound system is nice also. Lots of headroom is nice and yeah, that cargo capacity =)

FUN car after inital bugs worked out
By BeSwift on 01/19/10 12:56 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new. Very FUN car. At about 12k developed a major electrical problem that took months to resolve. Car would DIE at random, at speed! Almost got me killed twice on I-95. I'm angry at the horrible customer service I received at count em 3 different dealers before the problem got fixed...more so than the problem itself. Now that problem is resolved, and I've got confidence in it again, I'm very happy with it.

Slides in the Snow
By Susan on 12/26/09 08:56 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is scary to drive in the snow. There's a lot of sliding, even when driving at slow rates of speed. I've had to put heavy items in the back, as if I were driving a pickup truck. The windows are difficult to see out of, because they are so small; in order to see traffic signals and there are a lot of blind spots, because of the design of the front windows. I also had the rattling and shaking with the sway bar when I would brake. If I had to do it over again....I'd look a little harder...

I love it, the wife hates it.
By RkyMtnBob on 12/23/09 08:25 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I really do love this car. I traded down from a 4 door Silverado. Really like the exterior lines and style. I drive 35 city miles to work and get 27mpg summer and 25mpg winter. Plenty of room front and back. Fold down the rear seats and the floor in 3'x5', which is reasonable to get stuff home. The center mounted window controls take getting used to. Small windows as well, just means you have to actually look instead of glance. The 2.4 engine has plenty of go. The Traction Control can get twitchy in snow and ice. I have had the front rotor warping issue, it was fixed fast but I may have to deal with it again. The wife does not like the looks or small windows, but she loves the heated seats.

Excellent affordable, dependable car
By Mary Beth on 12/18/09 11:14 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car for almost 2 years and over 37,000 miles. It is used for a 40 mile round trip to work every day and hauling 3 kids around. I've read a couple of reviews from other owners who had chronic problems but I can honestly say I have had absolutely none yet. I think this an excellent car for someone who needs a dependable, affordable yet still sporty looking family car.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.