Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

2LT 2.4 Fully Loaded
By MAP Science

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a great car with a few minor problems. At 14,000 miles it would make a pop sound when speeding up and slowing down. Sounded like slack between two parts in the power train somewhere. Dealer could find no problem? Now with 20,000 on it the pop is louder. The front passenger hub assembly is being replaced. The steering has begun to clunk when turning the wheel and the intermediate steering shaft has been replaced. Sunroof glass is on order to be replaced. When opening the sunroof it drags the underside of the roof and makes cut marks in the glass.

OnStar, XM, 2.4, 5 speed manual. Heated leather seats, ipod plug, sunroof, fuel mileage, roof rails, fun to drive!

Window button locations. I have to lean forward to see the traffic lights. The cup holders in between the seat are useless. Canít put a large cup down there and shift nor can they hold anything like keys, change, or a cell phone with the sides cut out. When you turn a corner under the seat they go.

Great for young families. Love it.
By Jonathan

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My HHR is an LS with manual transmission. It's comfortable, fun to drive, smooth ride, and with the manual transmission the acceleration is much better than the automatic. I test drove the automatic and thought it was sluggish. My manual is not sluggish. I'm surprised and impressed with the car. It's roomier than I thought it would be. I have a young family and a tight budget, the HHR is big enough for rear facing car seats and front passengers. It's a hard quality to find in affordable cars.

The seats. They are the standard base model seats, but they are suprisingly comfortable. Also, I'm new to driving a manual and it is cake.

Visibility is slightly limited. I think larger windows would help, but that is a style redesign therefore a little unreasonable.

I love my car
By Patsy

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It rides and drives great. It's fun, comfortable, smooth, and peppy. My mom has a Toyota Camry, and this little car rides just as good. Does good on gas, and is equipped the same as a luxury car. The back is great for hauling groceries, and the seats lay down for hauling larger items. I went from a full size SUV, and I have'nt missed a thing. The extended warranty GM offers is great. I hope to have this car for a long time. I am slowly adding new accessories to dress her up. This vehicle is like a little truck, SUV, and car all in one. Why would anyone want a regular vehicle when you can have one of these. Drive one, love it!

The smooth ride, it's peppy, fuel economy, fun to drive, sporty, and luxury all in one. Great sound system, great features on my LT. Lumbar seats are comfy. Plenty of leg and head room. GM offers a good warranty. I wanted to buy American, and I am glad I did. You will love this car.

The only thing I wish I would have gotten would be the 6 CD player, verses the 1 CD player. I have a lot of old tapes, no tape player. But The radio is great, so I find myself not using the CD player as much. I have the panel LT, had to get used to using my mirrors.

Small car with a big punch
By Not your average man

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 08 HHR over 2 months ago to take the gas pump burden off my wallet (HHR $55 evey 10 days vs $90 every 4-5 days with my Silverado). I now find myself driving this car all the time and my 07 Silverado may get driving only once or twice on the weekends. I drive 35+ miles to & from work during the week and when I can lock the cruise at 60 the car will get 35-37 MPG. I am a 6'5" tall lbig guy and I have no problems with leg & head room (no sunroof - have the issue seeing the stoplights when first in line. I get a lot of people askng about the car & the fuel MPG's, the GM Performamce Air Intake makes a huge difference. My neighbor loves my HHR and wants to trade in her PT Cruiser.

Great gas mileage, comfortable seating for a base model, huge interior room for passengers & cargo. I tried several other makes & models, even the Colbalt and this has a lot more room for tall people. The HHR retro exterior looks better, carries more & is way more comfortable than the PT Cruiser.

Center console would work better than the arm rests for a tall guy, they are way too low and block the cup holder. Lighted window switches, the LED on the ceiling does work that well when you have the manual transmission, the stick is always in the way. More accessories like a OEM woody panel kit.

Ex-Suburban owner goes 4 cyl
By Je

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving Suburbans for 30 years and finally caved in to the current gas prices. I couldn't face going into a small car, and decided to test drive the HHR and found that I really liked it. The ride is comfortable, I sit a little higher than a car, and the 4cyl engine seems to have enough pickup as I drive on the expressway all the time. After 2 months of driving this vehicle I find it fun to drive and the gas mileage is great! The only undesirable is the loss of power when turning on the air conditioning.

Easy to drive, great gas mileage, not too much money.

A little more horsepower to counteract the air conditioning drain on the engine.

• SUV