Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Fun car
By Darkboi13

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my HHR for over a year and still love it like the day I bought it. It's reliable, great gas mileage, and it's fun to drive. I like the cargo net option and the fold down seats. I've packed a lot of my belongings with the back seats down. The optional ipod jack is great as well for long drives.

Favorite Features

Fold down seats, tinted windows, fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

The cupholders are under the armrests when in use? Annoying

HHR LT
By papple

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've had the HHR for 2 months now and like it so far. I was in the market for a car with good MPGs and had the versatility of an SUV. While it is not near the size of the Tahoe, it has similar functionality with the back seats and front passenger seat folded down. Ideal for trips to Home Depot and such. Averaging 26 to 28 MPGs with the auto trans, but will say I'm not a lead foot. I drive 28 miles to work with a fairly even mix of city and hwy driving. The driver's seat is surprisingly comfortable with the power lumbar. I haven't had a 4 cyl in 15 years, but it hasn't been a painful adjustment. Overall, I am very satisfied with the HHR. It meets my needs for good MPGs and versatility.

Favorite Features

Again, MPGs and versatility. I don't have to hesitate and wonder how I will get something from Home Depot back to the house (for example, an 8 foot long - 2 x 4 will fit with ease). Scrolling through the dash display that tracks tripometer, MPGs, tire pressure, etc. Retro styling.

Suggested Improvements

Lack of front storage space. There is a dash storage compartment but is not very deep. Odd placement for with power window switches. But prior to purchase I was aware of these 2 issues, so I can't complain. I wish I had the upgraded to a vehicle with radio controls on the steering wheel.

2LT 2.4 Fully Loaded
By MAP Science

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

It has been a great car with a few minor problems. At 14,000 miles it would make a pop sound when speeding up and slowing down. Sounded like slack between two parts in the power train somewhere. Dealer could find no problem? Now with 20,000 on it the pop is louder. The front passenger hub assembly is being replaced. The steering has begun to clunk when turning the wheel and the intermediate steering shaft has been replaced. Sunroof glass is on order to be replaced. When opening the sunroof it drags the underside of the roof and makes cut marks in the glass.

Favorite Features

OnStar, XM, 2.4, 5 speed manual. Heated leather seats, ipod plug, sunroof, fuel mileage, roof rails, fun to drive!

Suggested Improvements

Window button locations. I have to lean forward to see the traffic lights. The cup holders in between the seat are useless. Canít put a large cup down there and shift nor can they hold anything like keys, change, or a cell phone with the sides cut out. When you turn a corner under the seat they go.

Great for young families. Love it.
By Jonathan

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My HHR is an LS with manual transmission. It's comfortable, fun to drive, smooth ride, and with the manual transmission the acceleration is much better than the automatic. I test drove the automatic and thought it was sluggish. My manual is not sluggish. I'm surprised and impressed with the car. It's roomier than I thought it would be. I have a young family and a tight budget, the HHR is big enough for rear facing car seats and front passengers. It's a hard quality to find in affordable cars.

Favorite Features

The seats. They are the standard base model seats, but they are suprisingly comfortable. Also, I'm new to driving a manual and it is cake.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility is slightly limited. I think larger windows would help, but that is a style redesign therefore a little unreasonable.

I love my car
By Patsy

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It rides and drives great. It's fun, comfortable, smooth, and peppy. My mom has a Toyota Camry, and this little car rides just as good. Does good on gas, and is equipped the same as a luxury car. The back is great for hauling groceries, and the seats lay down for hauling larger items. I went from a full size SUV, and I have'nt missed a thing. The extended warranty GM offers is great. I hope to have this car for a long time. I am slowly adding new accessories to dress her up. This vehicle is like a little truck, SUV, and car all in one. Why would anyone want a regular vehicle when you can have one of these. Drive one, love it!

Favorite Features

The smooth ride, it's peppy, fuel economy, fun to drive, sporty, and luxury all in one. Great sound system, great features on my LT. Lumbar seats are comfy. Plenty of leg and head room. GM offers a good warranty. I wanted to buy American, and I am glad I did. You will love this car.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I wish I would have gotten would be the 6 CD player, verses the 1 CD player. I have a lot of old tapes, no tape player. But The radio is great, so I find myself not using the CD player as much. I have the panel LT, had to get used to using my mirrors.