2008 Chevrolet HHR LS Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2008 HHR Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Sort Reviews by

Worst car I ever bought
By Scortch

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Worst mistake I ever made in purchasing a car. It's a really nice car to look at but, that's it. The all plastic interior just reaks of cheap. The front windshield has you leaning up into the steering wheel to see when the red light changes. No console and thus no decent storage space. The little thing they put on the dash is very lacking. The seats are uncomfortable. The space between you and the passenger is almost non existant. Really cramped feeling. No console between seats and the cup holders are the worst I have ever seen in any vehicle. The arm rest sit too low to be of any use. Window control location is very poor. Rear seat room is very poor.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, exterior looks, fold flat rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

TOTALLY redesign the poorly designed interior. Put the window controls back on the door. Widen the interior. Drop the seat height down. Put in a center console. Need better cup holders that don't sit against the seats when you have anything larger than a small drink.

Excellent value for the money
By john g

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I also own an 05 HHR, and they are similar. Opt for the ABS and side airbags. OnStar is super, worth the money. This car doesn't do anything super, but it doesn't do anything really bad either, and I paid $15,200 for my 08 with the automatic transmission and one year of on-star. Pinebelt "etched" my windows for $299 and said it was "standard procedure" although I didn't really want it. It was a pure money maker for them, but the deal was still sweet. If you want a reliable, good looking economy car, this is an excellent choice, and I would buy another one when in the market.

Favorite Features

The info center monitors air pressure in the tires too!

Suggested Improvements

Move the power window controls.

Nice, but...
By ScottWPS

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Coming from F250 4dr diesel, I cried. Owned 3 wks now, avg 800mi/wk. Still miss truck! Likes; 27mpg avg, rides tall/nice, XM radio, AC can cool 3bdrm house, remote start, chrome pkg, good space for its size, mid-life-criss-red, cool looks. Dislikes; 2.2L slow (b careful pulling into traffic), tan interior dirties easily, drop on-star(?), 6' tall-rt leg cramps-seat won't go back far enough, MGP counter .2 to 1mi/gal optimistic vs actual calc. Totally useless; armrests block rr cupholder, at nite-interior lights in rearview mirror useless & sunvisor completly useless when pulled toward the dr side window! Needs sm diesel opt. After 17.5mpg in that big F250 want only diesel engines-(pwr + mpg!)

Favorite Features

Long interval between oil changes - est 12-15K mi's. Wife likes it! Tire press monitor, XM radio. Cool body style!

Suggested Improvements

Needs sm diesel eng opt-pwr & mpg! Fix visor to block sun thru dr's side window. Add dr's dome lite. Peddles too close to seat. Recal MPG-avg counter. Left tire psi increase faster than rt tires?

HHR
By Joe

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Got the car a few days ago, and am enjoying the ride so far. Ratings are relative to the price and segment. For the price, we couldh't have gotten a better car. My wife and I didn't want to get another HoHum sedan (at least not until we are pushing 60), and we also wanted a car that seated 4 comfortably, with a smooth ride. HHR fit the bill. Car handles better than what I read about it. Not perfect, but handles well. I am very happy with this purchase.

Favorite Features

Looks, smoothness, quiet ride, On Star, Engine is peppy enough, suprising leg room, Input jack for iPod, Remote start is cool, as is the info given in the Info Center like trip info, Tire pressure, MPG instantaneous, temperature outside, coolant temp, miles left in tank, Oil life left.

Suggested Improvements

For the price..they could improve: Cup Holder, add a Rear SwayBar (although its inexpensive to put on myself), Running boards standard, Dome light above front part of cabin...I'm willing to pay extra money on this model if it came with: maybe a few miles more per gallon, smaller A pillars, rear disk brakes

Fun Road Tripper
By Tony from Atlanta

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I think you either love or hate the design of this car. I love it. Funky, weird, retro. I thought it was unique until I bought one, now I see them everywhere! Economical and seemingly well built. Bought the car and put 3K miles on it in two weeks! Took it from GA to FL on a roadtrip. Fun, comfortable, great gas mileage. I was impressed with the AC too I havent had it long, but I did a lot of homework and it seems like a very good car compared to its peers, for features and functions. I am glad to be able to buy an American car again.

Favorite Features

Funky styling outside and in. Decent pep, smooth, good mileage. Versatile back for a variety of uses. I like the armrests, nice touch. I'm a small guy and I could sleep in it by dropping the back seats when I roadtrip!

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint I have so far is the front cupholders are a bit awkward to use, and really awkward with the armrest down.