Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 134 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Fun car with hit or miss looks
By subcult

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have put 20k miles on this car and are 1 month shy of a year of ownership. We have had 0 problems everything works no repairs. It was bought for my wife but now that we have 3 car seats we had to get a Mini- van, so now the HHR is mine. The car is fun to drive and gets great gas mileage we are averaging 26 mpg after a winter of letting the car idle for 5+ minutes while it warmed and we loaded up the car seats.

The Chrome Package

Better placement of cup holders in front with the arm rests down you can't get to your tasty beverages.

Gets the job done
By okeydokey

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Good Gas mileage and decent room. Quieter and more solid feeling than the Vibe. Merging onto the express way can be a challenge as the little motor tries as best it can.

Gas mileage and room (can fit my bike in the back without taking the wheel off).

Seat comfort, placement of window controls and door locks not intuitive. Interior lighting is terrible.

HHR Build Quality Questionable...
By Redlinetoys

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I get 35mpg on the highway (manual trans) and about 24 in town. The styling is good and it is fun to drive for the money. I baby the vehicle and take extreme care of it, but question what I am up for long term regarding quality (based on experience so far). Month 1 headliner rattle getting worse fast, Month 2 Engine squeal needs repaired through service bulletin, Month 3 gold chevy emblem on back has water in it, Month 4 noticed knock in front suspension when cold, Month 5 brakes squeal at EVERY stop, Month 6 inside coat hook is stuck in up position, Month 7 Window grease in door is streaking driver window, Month 8 radio quits. Haven't had it 9 months yet. Wonder what is next??????

Bright Red, good mileage, good price, fun to drive with manual trans.

Maybe the engineers should drive this vehicle a few thousand miles and actually engineer fixes for the problems. Take a look at the HHR forums where the same problems as mine are being discussed. Never had these problems with our PT Cruiser...

Fun to drive and good gas mileage
By Marty

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted a car that had good gas mileage, was sporty-looking and had a lot of interior room. I have dogs and with the back seats folded down, there is plenty of room for dogs or cargo. The seats are very comfortable compared to some of the other smaller vehicles I have driven. The HHR is perfect for what I wanted in a car.

This car has a lot of "pick-up" for a 4 cylinder vehicle. I was pleasantly surprised, especially with automatic transmission.

The cup holders between the front seats are not placed well -- it is easy to spill a drink. There also is a rather large blind spot area in the windshield -- especially the passenger side.

sweeeet ss
By elcaminoman

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our first new car was a great choice. Has been fun to own. Rides smooth and quiet. The blue splash is flashy. Sporty yet large enough for cargo. Maneuvers easy. We have 10,000. Miles on it and are very satisfied.

Favorite features are the sportiness. The handling is exceptional. The ss has some real take-off!

Not much to improve. Husband said mudflaps with ss or bowtie, we will get on our own soon. The ss is pricier but is well worth it.