Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR LT Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Most Helpful|
Buyer Beware
By michaellrar

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it for the "fun factor" and was disappointed. It has massive blind spots. Also thought I purchased new and the dealership sold me a demo and did not tell me. Found out after I got my papers in the mail. The controls for the window are in an unsafe place (they have since fixed that I heard). The drink cup holders are a joke at best. I am a big guy so the seat belts take an act of congress to fasten. And did I mention the wimpy armrest that points down when lowered. The tires have the constant tire pressure monitoring system so I am constantly refilling the tires. Needless to say I only drive it about 6,000 miles per year and that is when my daily driver (a 2002 honda civic) is being serviced.

Favorite Features

sunroof; gets 29 mpg highway

Suggested Improvements

None. Would not recommend buying new or used. It depreciated 50% when I drove it off the lot and nobody wants a used one at any price.

Great Little Hauler
By Notcho Trouble

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Usually drive with the back seats folded down. Use to haul lots of items for work and play. Made a carpet for the folded down area and use plastic if hauling something that's dirty. It fits quickly into the hidden storage. Great in the winter I have oversize tires on alloy wheels. Had a problem with brake wobble but dealership took care of it. It does take me longer to get somewhere cause everyone stops to ask me how I like my HHR Looking to buy another one.

Favorite Features

Great radio and XM. Fun to drive and parks anywhere. It's my clownmobile.. the arm rests are great..

Suggested Improvements

Window buttons in the middle take some getting used to. Needs a center console for drinks, and would like a roof handle to hang onto when riding..

Mislead
By cmmarob

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a VW Passat wagon. I was getting 26-28 MPG on the highway. A friend told me about the HHR and that I would receive better gas mileage. I traded for the HHR and got between 24 and 26 MPG. Very disappointing to say the least! Also the space in the back with the seat down is probably around 12 cubic feet smaller than the Passat. Another great disappointment. The interior uses a lot of cheap plastics and the window switches are on the center console. I have owned the car for 2 years and I still have to look for the switches every time I go to use them.

Favorite Features

I do like the storage space under the back floor, but what I would like more would be a deeper well in the back for hauling tools and stuff. I find that the stuff I store in the storage space is stuff I almost never use.

Suggested Improvements

I think Chevy should really consider redesigning the entire interior to make it more spacious, solid and more user friendly.

Some issues
By akaskyhigh

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a few problems with this car.First of all the rotors are always getting warped.I have replaced them several times and still happens again.The right rear passenger window motor has gone out.None of the tire pressure gauges work any longer.The rear seat has gotten cramped since the kids have grown up some.But the gas mileage is great though no doubt.I have 147,000 miles and have had no engine problems.I have noticed if I pull up to a light and I am first I have to lean forward to see the light.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and when back seat is laid down you can put lots in rear.

Suggested Improvements

Fix rear right window motor problem.Figure out why tire pressure gauges never work.

Great Vehicle
By Kris

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 10k miles for $12K. Saved thousands off new and still looks and smells new. Styling is great and there are a lot of customized parts available. It has the solid rear quarter panels which is extremely rare and it gets looks everywhere I go. Great mileage and very user friendly. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

styling, fuel mileage, sunroof, pioneer sound system, smooth ride, easy maintenance except for auto trans fluid fill, lots of storage bins

Suggested Improvements

full gauge package, steering wheel tilt instead of steering column tilt, rear a/c, hydraulic power steering instead of electric, provide trans dipstick for easier fill during filter change, standard rear disk brakes