Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR LS Wagon Consumer Reviews - 45 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Wonderful car, great ride, best cargo room, 32 mpg
By DDOlson

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For cheap and good this is the real deal. First of all this is my second HHR. I bought the 2006 first off the assembly line. I never had a single problem with it until 200,000 and even then the problem was easy to solve. I must preface this by saying my husband is a great mechanic. We maintain every car we own as a 10 out of 10. Many of the bad reviews I see here I think are caused by people beating their cars into the ground and reselling them as junk. Seriously people, don't buy a used car until you've done your research, test drove it and had a mechanic check it out. And buying from a back lot small time dealer is a real roll of the dice and you'll pay much more for a car from a factory type dealer. My 2006 I finally sold at 220,000 just because I didn't want to have anything happen out on the roads in Minnesota's weather. That said the problem I did have was BATTERY GENERATED. You must replace newer car's batteries every 3 years. If you do not, cars today are so electronically generated from the computerization to lights, sensors etc. you start getting warning lights, sensor lights, power downs etc. as the batteries age because the old battery cannot support the juice needed to run the car. The cargo room in this car is better than any other its size and MPG. My son can get two bass bins and music gear galore in it no problem..I use to get ladders and dressers and beds in mine!!!!Its the best for this. Also the inside car handles are cheap plastic and wear out. My drivers side simply broke in two but One You Tuv=be video later and a replacement part at NAPA, and it was fixed at home.
Now my son graduated from college. We bought him a 2008 HHR used 91,000 miles on it. Believe me it took weeks and a 7 hour road trip to buy the right one. There were tons out there but over priced, poorly maintained, a real crap shoot if you don't know what you are doing. I was very surprised how people just out and out try to deceive you about vehicles. I am so glad I have a reliable person to check things over before purchase. Our 2008 has the 2.2 engine and does get 32 MPH with the cruise on..my husband claims without the cruise it would be more if you drive it a certain way. The guy we bought it from even did the 100,00 0 maintenance on it all ready with the high end platinum plugs. New front tires-smooth ride and we really kicked the tires on this HHR before we bought it and drove it 7 hours straight to get it home. And the person who said they could have gotten a VW-good luck with that and buying used. I had VWs for years. If you do not do the routine maintain on them at a rep. certified VW place at thousands of dollars, the vehicle is crap and a money hole. A used one maintained is hard to find.

BRAKES OF HELL
By T. Rogers

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this 2008 HHR LS Wagon 4dr car used on February 15, 2016 on Presidents Day Mon. As far as RELIABILITY - Wednesday, I was at the repair shop to let them know when you first get in it to drive to work in the morning...it will not accelerate properly. At lunch time it does the same thing. But as you get going it doesn't do it again for the rest of the day. When I got to the service/repair shop they had me sit in the lobby, then they came and got me and asked me to ride along with the mechanic so I can tell them what I'm talking about. It never did it again in the presence. Of course the next day it did it again. As far as PERFORMANCE/SAFETY - On Saturday February 27, 2016...I got into a 3-car accident, I was the third car. the car in front of me instantly stopped I SLAMMED on my brakes in which I had PLENTY enough time to stop, but the BRAKES WENT ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. I'm telling you my daughter had a 2006 Chevy Blazer and those brakes stop on a dime. Other than the safety...the car looks amazing. The electronics, sound system, interior, style, everything is great as far as that.

Get What You Pay For
By mrsyam

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car after our first child was born. We bought it used with 25K miles on it and save a bunch of money than buying it new. It was great at first, but then all sorts of issues started popping up. The rotors have needed replaced 3 different times due to grinding. The CD player stopped working for some reason, but the dealership replaced it for free. The drivers side lock always sticks and I've gotten locked out of my car before with my children in the car because the key fobs also are cheaply made and don't work properly. The newest issue is that the Passlock feature is malfunctioning due to a microchip error in the ignition!!! Trading in for something else.

Body, hatch back

Get ride of the Passlock system!

Good Car but has some problems.
By FFDice

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 1st new car ever. I always liked the look of classic cars and this car caught my eye. I bought this car during the gas price boom and it didn't disappoint me. Average MPG 24- 26. The car does have some squeaks and problems, but still a good car. Dealership has taken care of all my concerns. Back seats lower and can haul a lot of stuff as long as its not filthy dirty.

Good looking car, OnStar is a plus, has all the bells and whistles. I like the small front windshield. Great gas mileage, good handling, and good acceleration.

Armrest is too small, needs better reliable parts. Had mold growing on the condenser, stabilizer bars on the front end needed replaced. Rear door locking mechanism needed replaced. The front of the flare for the rear tires are all scratched up. Chevy should put mud flaps on all of them.

My HHR
By bonnie2008

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I went to a local dealership to look at the a HHR we liked what we saw and we got a fantastic price, our HHR only had 19 miles on the odd and we paid only 13.500.00 for this model. We couldn't be more happier with what we now own. We haven't had one leak we own a 5speed we have great car and we love it

NEW NEW NEW great car stereo,great ride ,comfortable, quick, great on gas mileage,makes trips fun to take again dependable

I really don't have many at all, I would like to have front mad flaps that's about all