Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

BRAKES OF HELL
By T. Rogers

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this 2008 HHR LS Wagon 4dr car used on February 15, 2016 on Presidents Day Mon. As far as RELIABILITY - Wednesday, I was at the repair shop to let them know when you first get in it to drive to work in the morning...it will not accelerate properly. At lunch time it does the same thing. But as you get going it doesn't do it again for the rest of the day. When I got to the service/repair shop they had me sit in the lobby, then they came and got me and asked me to ride along with the mechanic so I can tell them what I'm talking about. It never did it again in the presence. Of course the next day it did it again. As far as PERFORMANCE/SAFETY - On Saturday February 27, 2016...I got into a 3-car accident, I was the third car. the car in front of me instantly stopped I SLAMMED on my brakes in which I had PLENTY enough time to stop, but the BRAKES WENT ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. I'm telling you my daughter had a 2006 Chevy Blazer and those brakes stop on a dime. Other than the safety...the car looks amazing. The electronics, sound system, interior, style, everything is great as far as that.

Don't buy this car
By Steven smith

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2008 Chevy hhr 2lt with the 2.4 engine. For two years I have been deal with a major brake problem the master cylinder and power brake booster has been replaced and to this day the break paddle goes to the floor. It's has been to the dealer and to brake max and they can't even fix the problem all they do is bleed the system. And you can forget it out. don't even think about doing emergency stop because the brake pedal just goes to the floor it's kind of scary when you're doing 65 miles an hour down the freeway.

HHR Hell
By Karen Chacon

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever purchased. It is rickety, tinny, bumpy ANDDD part of an ignition recall. My daughter at college, Arizona freeway 75 mph, loses all power, no power steering. this happens 6 times! avoiding death or serious injury from vehicles on the freeway. Had it to 4 garages before we knew about recall and no one could diagnose the problem. Had ignition fixed, and now this morning, same. 75mph, Semi swerves to miss crushing her. I call GM, they say sorry, not enough people have called/complained or died to help us. Car dealerships won't take it as a trade in because of all the complaints. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR

The HHR that couldn't
By Very

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When the car hit 100.000 miles it stated to be an on going money pit new transmission new starter...door locks would not work engine blew up nothing but problems don't buy one!

Mislead
By cmmarob

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a VW Passat wagon.
I was getting 26-28 MPG on the highway.
A friend told me about the HHR and that I would receive better gas mileage.
I traded for the HHR and got between 24 and 26 MPG.
Very disappointing to say the least!
Also the space in the back with the seat down is probably around 12 cubic feet smaller than the Passat.
Another great disappointment.
The interior uses a lot of cheap plastics and the window switches are on the center console.
I have owned the car for 2 years and I still have to look for the switches every time I go to use them.

I do like the storage space under the back floor, but what I would like more would be a deeper well in the back for hauling tools and stuff. I find that the stuff I store in the storage space is stuff I almost never use.

I think Chevy should really consider redesigning the entire interior to make it more spacious, solid and more user friendly.