Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews - 110 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Wonderful car, great ride, best cargo room, 32 mpg
By DDOlson

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

For cheap and good this is the real deal. First of all this is my second HHR. I bought the 2006 first off the assembly line. I never had a single problem with it until 200,000 and even then the problem was easy to solve. I must preface this by saying my husband is a great mechanic. We maintain every car we own as a 10 out of 10. Many of the bad reviews I see here I think are caused by people beating their cars into the ground and reselling them as junk. Seriously people, don't buy a used car until you've done your research, test drove it and had a mechanic check it out. And buying from a back lot small time dealer is a real roll of the dice and you'll pay much more for a car from a factory type dealer. My 2006 I finally sold at 220,000 just because I didn't want to have anything happen out on the roads in Minnesota's weather. That said the problem I did have was BATTERY GENERATED. You must replace newer car's batteries every 3 years. If you do not, cars today are so electronically generated from the computerization to lights, sensors etc. you start getting warning lights, sensor lights, power downs etc. as the batteries age because the old battery cannot support the juice needed to run the car. The cargo room in this car is better than any other its size and MPG. My son can get two bass bins and music gear galore in it no problem..I use to get ladders and dressers and beds in mine!!!!Its the best for this. Also the inside car handles are cheap plastic and wear out. My drivers side simply broke in two but One You Tuv=be video later and a replacement part at NAPA, and it was fixed at home.
Now my son graduated from college. We bought him a 2008 HHR used 91,000 miles on it. Believe me it took weeks and a 7 hour road trip to buy the right one. There were tons out there but over priced, poorly maintained, a real crap shoot if you don't know what you are doing. I was very surprised how people just out and out try to deceive you about vehicles. I am so glad I have a reliable person to check things over before purchase. Our 2008 has the 2.2 engine and does get 32 MPH with the cruise on..my husband claims without the cruise it would be more if you drive it a certain way. The guy we bought it from even did the 100,00 0 maintenance on it all ready with the high end platinum plugs. New front tires-smooth ride and we really kicked the tires on this HHR before we bought it and drove it 7 hours straight to get it home. And the person who said they could have gotten a VW-good luck with that and buying used. I had VWs for years. If you do not do the routine maintain on them at a rep. certified VW place at thousands of dollars, the vehicle is crap and a money hole. A used one maintained is hard to find.

BRAKES OF HELL
By T. Rogers

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this 2008 HHR LS Wagon 4dr car used on February 15, 2016 on Presidents Day Mon. As far as RELIABILITY - Wednesday, I was at the repair shop to let them know when you first get in it to drive to work in the morning...it will not accelerate properly. At lunch time it does the same thing. But as you get going it doesn't do it again for the rest of the day. When I got to the service/repair shop they had me sit in the lobby, then they came and got me and asked me to ride along with the mechanic so I can tell them what I'm talking about. It never did it again in the presence. Of course the next day it did it again. As far as PERFORMANCE/SAFETY - On Saturday February 27, 2016...I got into a 3-car accident, I was the third car. the car in front of me instantly stopped I SLAMMED on my brakes in which I had PLENTY enough time to stop, but the BRAKES WENT ALL THE WAY TO THE FLOOR. I'm telling you my daughter had a 2006 Chevy Blazer and those brakes stop on a dime. Other than the safety...the car looks amazing. The electronics, sound system, interior, style, everything is great as far as that.

Don't buy this car
By Steven smith

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a 2008 Chevy hhr 2lt with the 2.4 engine. For two years I have been deal with a major brake problem the master cylinder and power brake booster has been replaced and to this day the break paddle goes to the floor. It's has been to the dealer and to brake max and they can't even fix the problem all they do is bleed the system. And you can forget it out. don't even think about doing emergency stop because the brake pedal just goes to the floor it's kind of scary when you're doing 65 miles an hour down the freeway.

WORST CAR EVER/CHEVY WORST CUST. SERV. DENIED HELP
By Karen Chacon

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Panel LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car I have ever purchased. It is rickety, tinny, bumpy ANDDD part of an ignition recall. My daughter at college, Arizona freeway 75 mph, loses all power, no power steering. this happens 6 times! avoiding death or serious injury from vehicles on the freeway. Had it to 4 garages before we knew about recall and no one could diagnose the problem. Had ignition fixed, and now this morning, same. 75mph, Semi swerves to miss crushing her. I call GM, they say sorry, not enough people have called/complained or died to help us. Car dealerships won't take it as a trade in because of all the complaints. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR
CHEVY AND GM REFUSED TO HELP US. NOONE CARED ABOUT OUR SAFETY OR LIVES. THANKS CHEVY/GM! WOULD YOU GIVE THIS CAR TO YOUR LOVED ONE?

The HHR that couldn't
By Very

2008 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

When the car hit 100.000 miles it stated to be an on going money pit new transmission new starter...door locks would not work engine blew up nothing but problems don't buy one!