Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR SS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS - Consumer Reviews

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (24 reviews )

piece of crap
By Roberta

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just financed this car and already had to take it back for recall then my timing chain broke which costed 1000 all for 2 months and now the engine blew this was the worst car experience i every had never again will i purchase from Chevrolet again im so hurt and disappointed

Red Rocket
By Dave Henry

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car sight unseen, and it had a different seat than the one I tested, and also a sunroof, both of which cut into the very limited headroom. The car is a blast to drive, especially since I added the dealer installed turbo upgrade. Handling and precise steering are surprising in a retro wagon. I have major problems seeing out of the car. The roofless/windshield design make me crouch down to see overhead traffic lights, and the center windshield rear view mirror obstruct vision severely. Also, there's a huge blind spot when changing lanes. The 4 speed auto is missing at least one gear, as the turbo is always trying to make up for the huge gaps. I'd get the manual trans next time.

The motor is very powerful, yet economical. There's plenty of cargo space. I love the styling, and with the SS trim, it gets even better. The steering is very good; precise, and accurate.

I don't know how they'd do it, but the sight lines are beyond terrible for a tall person. They're actually unsafe. The engine has a decided rattle on cold starts, but all SS's do it, so I guess it's normal, just off-putting. I'm actually looking for a replacement, even though I love the car. Not safe

FUN car after inital bugs worked out
By BeSwift

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new. Very FUN car. At about 12k developed a major electrical problem that took months to resolve. Car would DIE at random, at speed! Almost got me killed twice on I-95. I'm angry at the horrible customer service I received at count em 3 different dealers before the problem got fixed...more so than the problem itself. Now that problem is resolved, and I've got confidence in it again, I'm very happy with it.

performance, looks, mileage, practicality Did I mention that this car is FUN to drive!

Power Seat adjustments moved to FRONT of the seat. Interior is cheesy cheap.

HHR SS - A True Sleeper
By Powerman

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, the HHR SS is great for those who need the practicality of a small wagon, but want a surprising balance of performance for the value. Styling preference is very split for this model. If you like 40's retro hot- rods, then this is for you. Dollar for dollar, although not as socially prestigious, from a performance perspective. A GM Perf upgrade is available that maintains the full factory warranty, but raises the power quotients to from stock 260hp/260ft lbs torque to 290hp/315ft lbs torque. Torque steer is mitigated by a standard launch control program.

The HHR SS is a true sleeper; Unexpected performance and handling thanks to the factory 260hp 260 ft/lbs torque can spin the wheels in 3rd if desired. The launch control and competitive modes are also something you wouldn't expect is such a practical platform.

No dome light override. A console rattle had to be found and stopped. A lift glass on the rear liftgate hatch would have been nice (the glass is fixed on the rear hatch).

Gotta love this car!!
By LB

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

All I can say is "Man is this car fun to drive!" And I'm just finishing up about 10 years of driving a BMW 5 series and X-5. The torque and acceleration are just awesome in this car, and I don't even have the Stage 1 Kit installed yet. Even though I have an AT rather than Manual, it is still fast and still fun. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I'm sure the glamor will wear off, but for right now, this car is a blast to drive. I can't speak for the other versions, but the SS is the way to go if you are into performance as well as looks.

The turbo is great, and I love the little boost meter on the left side. The gas mileage is much better than my x-5. And although the back area is pretty small, I can still fit my golf clubs back there, which is all that matters.

Having some tint on the driver and passenger windows. Deeper cup holders. Homelink garage door opener in the visor. The Stage 1 kit as an option. Painted break calipers. Headrest DVD system.