2008 Chevrolet HHR SS - Consumer Reviews

SS 2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual - (23 reviews )
Red Rocket
By Dave Henry on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car sight unseen, and it had a different seat than the one I tested, and also a sunroof, both of which cut into the very limited headroom. The car is a blast to drive, especially since I added the dealer installed turbo upgrade. Handling and precise steering are surprising in a retro wagon. I have major problems seeing out of the car. The roofless/windshield design make me crouch down to see overhead traffic lights, and the center windshield rear view mirror obstruct vision severely. Also, there's a huge blind spot when changing lanes. The 4 speed auto is missing at least one gear, as the turbo is always trying to make up for the huge gaps. I'd get the manual trans next time.

FUN car after inital bugs worked out
By BeSwift on 01/19/10 12:56 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought new. Very FUN car. At about 12k developed a major electrical problem that took months to resolve. Car would DIE at random, at speed! Almost got me killed twice on I-95. I'm angry at the horrible customer service I received at count em 3 different dealers before the problem got fixed...more so than the problem itself. Now that problem is resolved, and I've got confidence in it again, I'm very happy with it.

HHR SS - A True Sleeper
By Powerman on 12/15/09 19:39 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Overall, the HHR SS is great for those who need the practicality of a small wagon, but want a surprising balance of performance for the value. Styling preference is very split for this model. If you like 40's retro hot- rods, then this is for you. Dollar for dollar, although not as socially prestigious, from a performance perspective. A GM Perf upgrade is available that maintains the full factory warranty, but raises the power quotients to from stock 260hp/260ft lbs torque to 290hp/315ft lbs torque. Torque steer is mitigated by a standard launch control program.

Gotta love this car!!
By LB on 11/02/09 13:29 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

All I can say is "Man is this car fun to drive!" And I'm just finishing up about 10 years of driving a BMW 5 series and X-5. The torque and acceleration are just awesome in this car, and I don't even have the Stage 1 Kit installed yet. Even though I have an AT rather than Manual, it is still fast and still fun. I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I'm sure the glamor will wear off, but for right now, this car is a blast to drive. I can't speak for the other versions, but the SS is the way to go if you are into performance as well as looks.

Practical, Fun and Stylish (for some)
By 87silver on 03/28/09 06:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought an HHR because I need a practical vehicle with good gas mileage. For those who like the '40s chopped top hot rod look, the HHR hits the mark and surely is set apart from its Asian counterparts. I see the hard surfaces in the interior as a virtue, since my kids always come back muddy from bicycle sports events and its durable as easy to clean for this purpose. I opted for the SS version that was engineered by GM Performance Division. It handles like a sports car and has the acceleration of a rocket. My experience with actual fuel mileage is about 27.5mpg for combined 70/30 hwy/city with the 2.0L Turbo. I'm very happy with my HHR SS and it fits my specific transportation needs well.

I'm buying american again
By Bruce on 03/24/09 18:32 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

The HHR has turned me back were I should be buying American. This vehicle is a lot of fun to drive and some of my co-workers also own HHRs and they just love them. I have a SS and the power is great and I did not have to give up great gas mileage. The HHR is a keeper I am proud to own a chevy and my next car will be a chevy. Thanks for building a car I can be proud of and Love to drive.

sweeeet ss
By elcaminoman on 03/04/09 17:11 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Our first new car was a great choice. Has been fun to own. Rides smooth and quiet. The blue splash is flashy. Sporty yet large enough for cargo. Maneuvers easy. We have 10,000. Miles on it and are very satisfied.

Love my HHR SS
By Tim on 10/29/08 19:00 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have almost 3000 miles on the SS. Gas mileage is better than expected so far. I commute 50 miles round trip, mostly the Katy Freeway in Houston. The last four tanks averaged 26.5 mpg (actual calculated miles divided by gallons purchased, not the car's computer mpg display.) My previous vehicle was a 2000 Tahoe, a great truck with no problems. The handling and acceleration of the SS is great. I don't have the brake issues other posters have noted. I plan to put a lot of miles on the car.

Fun Car
By Jim on 10/21/08 07:30 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was looking for a retro style car, was looking at PT Cruisers, when I stopped in to the local Chevy store. I didn't know they were making the SS verison. Drove both and for the extra bucks the turbo is well worth the extra. It's a fun car to drive with the 5 speed. Under hard acceleration have a good grip on the steering wheel, there is a lot of torque steer. I guess they have relocated the window switches because mine are on the door and the cup holders aren't covered by an arm rest. My only complaint is my right leg rests against the center console and is uncomfortable other than that I really like the car.

Brake Issue!
By long12u on 09/17/08 12:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I traded in an '06 HHR LT2 for this '08 SS and really am pleased with everything but the problem with the brakes! GM took a problematic brake system known as Optimized Hydraulic Braking or OHB for short! This system causes no boost to the brake system on initial start-up after sitting for a few hours! At the present GM has a couple of service bulletin's one of which calls for a software update that lowers engine RPM's to make it easier to stop (not pulling through brake application) before the vacuum is built back up, the other simply advises the tech "no part replacement or software updates". See NHTSA investigations and KickingTires 2008 Chevy HHR before purchasing. Also check Saturn Sky!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.