2008 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Mislead
By cmmarob on 02/03/14 08:26 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a VW Passat wagon. I was getting 26-28 MPG on the highway. A friend told me about the HHR and that I would receive better gas mileage. I traded for the HHR and got between 24 and 26 MPG. Very disappointing to say the least! Also the space in the back with the seat down is probably around 12 cubic feet smaller than the Passat. Another great disappointment. The interior uses a lot of cheap plastics and the window switches are on the center console. I have owned the car for 2 years and I still have to look for the switches every time I go to use them.

Some issues
By akaskyhigh on 06/04/12 16:16 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a few problems with this car.First of all the rotors are always getting warped.I have replaced them several times and still happens again.The right rear passenger window motor has gone out.None of the tire pressure gauges work any longer.The rear seat has gotten cramped since the kids have grown up some.But the gas mileage is great though no doubt.I have 147,000 miles and have had no engine problems.I have noticed if I pull up to a light and I am first I have to lean forward to see the light.

Great Little Hauler
By Notcho Trouble on 06/19/10 17:21 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Usually drive with the back seats folded down. Use to haul lots of items for work and play. Made a carpet for the folded down area and use plastic if hauling something that's dirty. It fits quickly into the hidden storage. Great in the winter I have oversize tires on alloy wheels. Had a problem with brake wobble but dealership took care of it. It does take me longer to get somewhere cause everyone stops to ask me how I like my HHR Looking to buy another one.

Buyer Beware
By michaellrar on 06/12/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it for the "fun factor" and was disappointed. It has massive blind spots. Also thought I purchased new and the dealership sold me a demo and did not tell me. Found out after I got my papers in the mail. The controls for the window are in an unsafe place (they have since fixed that I heard). The drink cup holders are a joke at best. I am a big guy so the seat belts take an act of congress to fasten. And did I mention the wimpy armrest that points down when lowered. The tires have the constant tire pressure monitoring system so I am constantly refilling the tires. Needless to say I only drive it about 6,000 miles per year and that is when my daily driver (a 2002 honda civic) is being serviced.

Great Vehicle
By Kris on 05/16/10 10:44 AM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought used with 10k miles for $12K. Saved thousands off new and still looks and smells new. Styling is great and there are a lot of customized parts available. It has the solid rear quarter panels which is extremely rare and it gets looks everywhere I go. Great mileage and very user friendly. Highly recommend.

Great headroom, storage, stereo & looks!
By 08HHR_SpecialEdition on 05/12/10 17:41 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the 2008 HHR Special Edition (which is kind of like the 1LT trim level with some extra slick cosmetics). I get compliments on this car everywhere I go. I have used the storage capabilities of this vehicle countless times. Both the rear seat and the front passenger seats fold down, with extra storage in the "trunk" floor. Quiet ride, great stereo system with the 7" sub in the back. Mechanically, this HHR has performed flawlessly. Not a single problem. Due to the extended rear end of the HHR, there is a blind spot in back that makes merging lanes a bit tougher. Nothing terrible, but check twice before you make your move. Love the HHR!

I love my HHR 2LT 2.4
By Irene on 05/07/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased my 2008 HHR used, it had 25,000 miles on it. Have not had any major issues. Just had a few minor bugs. I must have a lighter foot than some in rural and city driving I avg 26 mpg and on the highway I avg 32. I traded a Mazda 626 in I was looking for another Mazda but was none in stock. Glad I made the switch GM got me back after 20 yrs of owning Dodge and Mazda. I am thinking of going to the SS HHR.

2008 HHR
By Mike on 02/18/10 21:19 PM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased at the height of the Gas problem in 08-It is a spunky little car and fun to drive but mileage is average 26 or so. So far have had front brakes, steering motor and column replaced. Now having issue with front suspension noise. Have the 17 inch Alloy wheels look good but ride rough on this little car. Too many mechanical issues for me am concerned about reliability longer term.

Just the Car I Needed
By Clay on 02/01/10 07:12 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I needed something reliable, got good gas mileage, and could carry a bunch of stuff. My 2008 HHR does all that! I average ~26 to ~27 MPG and have been amazed at all the stuff I can carry in the back with the seats folded down. Extra storage UNDER the floor is nice also when you want to keep handtools hidden. I could use a little more leg room for my left leg when driving though [the wheel well kinda sticks up there] and the center window controls take some getting used to. Heat/A/C work wonderfully and sound system is nice also. Lots of headroom is nice and yeah, that cargo capacity =)

Slides in the Snow
By Susan on 12/26/09 08:56 AM (PST)

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is scary to drive in the snow. There's a lot of sliding, even when driving at slow rates of speed. I've had to put heavy items in the back, as if I were driving a pickup truck. The windows are difficult to see out of, because they are so small; in order to see traffic signals and there are a lot of blind spots, because of the design of the front windows. I also had the rattling and shaking with the sway bar when I would brake. If I had to do it over again....I'd look a little harder...

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.