Used 2008 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Mislead
By cmmarob

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned a VW Passat wagon. I was getting 26-28 MPG on the highway. A friend told me about the HHR and that I would receive better gas mileage. I traded for the HHR and got between 24 and 26 MPG. Very disappointing to say the least! Also the space in the back with the seat down is probably around 12 cubic feet smaller than the Passat. Another great disappointment. The interior uses a lot of cheap plastics and the window switches are on the center console. I have owned the car for 2 years and I still have to look for the switches every time I go to use them.

Favorite Features

I do like the storage space under the back floor, but what I would like more would be a deeper well in the back for hauling tools and stuff. I find that the stuff I store in the storage space is stuff I almost never use.

Suggested Improvements

I think Chevy should really consider redesigning the entire interior to make it more spacious, solid and more user friendly.

Some issues
By akaskyhigh

2008 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have a few problems with this car.First of all the rotors are always getting warped.I have replaced them several times and still happens again.The right rear passenger window motor has gone out.None of the tire pressure gauges work any longer.The rear seat has gotten cramped since the kids have grown up some.But the gas mileage is great though no doubt.I have 147,000 miles and have had no engine problems.I have noticed if I pull up to a light and I am first I have to lean forward to see the light.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage and when back seat is laid down you can put lots in rear.

Suggested Improvements

Fix rear right window motor problem.Figure out why tire pressure gauges never work.

Get What You Pay For
By mrsyam

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car after our first child was born. We bought it used with 25K miles on it and save a bunch of money than buying it new. It was great at first, but then all sorts of issues started popping up. The rotors have needed replaced 3 different times due to grinding. The CD player stopped working for some reason, but the dealership replaced it for free. The drivers side lock always sticks and I've gotten locked out of my car before with my children in the car because the key fobs also are cheaply made and don't work properly. The newest issue is that the Passlock feature is malfunctioning due to a microchip error in the ignition!!! Trading in for something else.

Favorite Features

Body, hatch back

Suggested Improvements

Get ride of the Passlock system!

Good Car but has some problems.
By FFDice

2008 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This was my 1st new car ever. I always liked the look of classic cars and this car caught my eye. I bought this car during the gas price boom and it didn't disappoint me. Average MPG 24- 26. The car does have some squeaks and problems, but still a good car. Dealership has taken care of all my concerns. Back seats lower and can haul a lot of stuff as long as its not filthy dirty.

Favorite Features

Good looking car, OnStar is a plus, has all the bells and whistles. I like the small front windshield. Great gas mileage, good handling, and good acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Armrest is too small, needs better reliable parts. Had mold growing on the condenser, stabilizer bars on the front end needed replaced. Rear door locking mechanism needed replaced. The front of the flare for the rear tires are all scratched up. Chevy should put mud flaps on all of them.

Red Rocket
By Dave Henry

2008 Chevrolet HHR SS 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I bought the car sight unseen, and it had a different seat than the one I tested, and also a sunroof, both of which cut into the very limited headroom. The car is a blast to drive, especially since I added the dealer installed turbo upgrade. Handling and precise steering are surprising in a retro wagon. I have major problems seeing out of the car. The roofless/windshield design make me crouch down to see overhead traffic lights, and the center windshield rear view mirror obstruct vision severely. Also, there's a huge blind spot when changing lanes. The 4 speed auto is missing at least one gear, as the turbo is always trying to make up for the huge gaps. I'd get the manual trans next time.

Favorite Features

The motor is very powerful, yet economical. There's plenty of cargo space. I love the styling, and with the SS trim, it gets even better. The steering is very good; precise, and accurate.

Suggested Improvements

I don't know how they'd do it, but the sight lines are beyond terrible for a tall person. They're actually unsafe. The engine has a decided rattle on cold starts, but all SS's do it, so I guess it's normal, just off-putting. I'm actually looking for a replacement, even though I love the car. Not safe