Original Owner Since New
By cc732 on
2006 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)
I originally leased this car new and bought it in '09. I drove the car 350 miles a week for the first 2 years (35,000 mi.) until I retired from General Motors Canada. It now has about 60,000 miles with no problems. Tires and brakes were replaced at about 35,000 mi. Four Uniroyal TigerPaw II snow tires solved the winter driving issues and four Michelin HydroEdges are used in the summer. Oil changes were being done when the oil life monitor indicated. Gas mileage is good at about 40 mpg. (combined) with the automatic transmission. The key sticking issue and the water leakage were fixed at my local dealer to my satisfaction. he still does all the maitenance on the vehicle.
Favorite Features
Handling is great with the low profile tires. The Pioneer MP3 player with sub-woofer still has great sound after 6 years. Wipers, heaters, windows and defrosters are all good. Having running boards without the roof rack give it a low "slammed" look. They go well with the overall "chopped and channeled" look of a '60's hotrod. I chose the LS model with satin trim and the burgundy red paint. I matched it with satin finish 5 spoke Ultra wheels for the Michelins. The '06 has the yellow turn signals as DRLs in the daylight. In the dark, the headlight reflectors look like older, round lenses for a super retro look. The headlights work really well and look great.
Suggested Improvements
I can't think of any improvements... I like having high-tech fuel injection, power windows, auto transmission, super sounding MP3 stereo system, power steering and power disc brakes. The fuel efficient 2.2L 4 cylinder completes the economical little 4 door wagon to my satisfaction. Six years later, it still runs good and looks great.