Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews - 389 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Great Little Car!
By Eric

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, first off, this is a car. It's a cheap car. It's not going to be perfect. Most cars aren't, especially ones this cheap. Now, for the price, I feel that it's great! I've loved these cars since they came out, and wanted one since. Beings that I was only 16 at the time, I couldn't afford one. Anyways, the only issues I've had were the front end clunking (sway bar links, struts, and steering column replaced under warranty to fix it) and the sunroof and headliner rattle quite a bit. Crank the radio (on the Pioneer that I have and love!) and you wont notice it! Even took the car on a road trip to Florida from Michigan this spring, and it was fantastic with 3 people and luggage all over

Style, color (orange), all the room, GREAT gas mileage! Sunroof is fun to have! The 2.2 isn't fast, but it does have some "oomph" to it when need be.

Better brakes. Mine have warped the rotors twice, and this is common. Also better front end parts so they don't clunk, and better interior components that don't rattle so much, and maybe less cheap plastic? But again, what do you expect for the price? Seats that wont stain would be nice...

General
By crack07

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't drive the car a lot. I'm a Farmer and drive my truck more. Had a large issue with leaving it outside a few time in heavy rain and it flooded the floor boards, I mean water standing. Took it to the dealer they say its fixed but it's been in the garage for all heavy rains since. Only have 39,000 on it now. But it gets good mpg and you don't lay down to drive it like most cars. Other than the water issue I have had only on issue they replaced the radio but all seems good now just wish I would have got the 100,000 pwr train warranty I got on my 07 silverado but that came free on it.

mpg upright driving position.

add center storage compartment and fix the water issues I'm not convinced are fixed yet. and its out of warranty now

Junk!
By kyle

2006 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car recently and its a hunk of junk. I need a new engine already it cracked for some reason. That's gm for ya. This car is a headache. Don't buy this car. And the sunroof is very noisy and it leaks a lot to if there is a heavy rain. The plastic parts need to be better made to. When I walked out from the store to open my door the handle popped right off. So when I get in my car I have to go to the passengers door just to get in. I regret buying this car. What a waste of money.

NONE!

Push it into a lake.

Great car, annoying problems
By Cass

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car used and it was in really good condition, It had 22k on it and now has 60k. We have experienced the rotor shudder but took it to a brake shop and had a successful resolution. Luckily we have not had the leak issue, but recently had the gear selector not engage properly to release the key which is now on acc until I can fix the problem. So we love the comfort, gas mileage, sporty handling and great acceleration. Cup holders inadequate for those of you who commute, the window buttons and blind spots took some getting used to but the annoying little problems that cost money that are totally unnecessary if GM could get their quality and design quirks worked out and dealers on board

A gas to drive, good acceleration, fantastic gas mileage, good comfort, a little cramped if over six ft, nice styling, not cookie cutter,

Quality control, Dealer issues, interior design and materials,

Beach Buggy Worries
By Jim Scott

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my used 2006 HHR LT2 model with all the bells and whistles and I love to drive it. It handles nice and I feel comfortable in it. Gas goes a long way on a tank for at least a week. I got it as my beach buggy, the SUV room and style with nice car features really impressed me. I see a future that I am unsure about after reading some of these reviews though? I agree cup holders are too low, and there are blind spots that I got use to or get the cheap blind spot mirrors. Trying to get use to window control location also, these are basic complaints though, I would of loved a big console with them on that like in a Jeep Liberty or something so easier to reach, but all and all love it.

Heated seats, fold down seats, arm rests, bright colorful dash at night. The purple light that I thought was to help me see, but is for letting you know you should have headlights on, pretty cool. Running boards, comfort of my ride in it. Stereo nice with MP3, XM radio, CD and steering wheel control

Radio station reception poor on most all local stations? anybody know why? all static except 1 or 2 stations. I had the leak also, dealer took car of, was stopped up drain in sunroof. Also now the sunroof is squeaking, is that sign of it going bad like what I have read when you are closing it?