Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
Beach Buggy Worries
By Jim Scott on 05/03/10 21:34 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my used 2006 HHR LT2 model with all the bells and whistles and I love to drive it. It handles nice and I feel comfortable in it. Gas goes a long way on a tank for at least a week. I got it as my beach buggy, the SUV room and style with nice car features really impressed me. I see a future that I am unsure about after reading some of these reviews though? I agree cup holders are too low, and there are blind spots that I got use to or get the cheap blind spot mirrors. Trying to get use to window control location also, these are basic complaints though, I would of loved a big console with them on that like in a Jeep Liberty or something so easier to reach, but all and all love it.

Quality & Moon Roof Problems
By Mark DeBaker on 02/27/10 13:11 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The moon roof made noise from the start. The dealer put foam in it twice. Turns out after the warranty was up that the actuator is failing. It cannot be tightened & is a $1,000.00 repair that GM will not back up. The glass can be seen bouncing. The car hydroplanes in light rain, slush and snow because of the wide low profile tires. Expect to pay a fortune to replace the low profile tires. Window controls are poorly located. Rear passenger seating is small. Wipers stop working sometimes. Takes a technician to replace the air cleaner. Gas mileage is very good. Disappointed that GM will not back up Mfg defects. Do not leave the dealership without documented repair paperwork.

Super Ride
By gozmore on 02/25/10 08:16 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is such a blast to own and drive, I am the second owner, 39,000 miles, 33 miles to gallon on highway, great sound system, great visibility,I get people's attention where-ever I go, 24 miles per gallon city, hauling capacity is unbelievable, I had a custom trailer hitch added to pull a small trailer.I added the "Chevrolet" word on the front nose and on each side of the hood, the color is light gold with saddle trim, I also added power air filter system

Herby's Hot Rod
By Harmonica Herb on 02/23/10 08:53 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I don't know another car that could have reacted as quick as my HHR did when another car slammed on brakes in front of me. Another driver said," I don't know how you missed that guy."

Smooth Going
By Frank on 01/03/10 19:49 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've run 70,000+ miles and finally needed my first repair - replacing the cheap front brakes. With rarely required routine maintenance (including oil changes every 10K or so with Mobil 1), and 27-30 MPG, you couldn't ask for a more reliable lower cost to maintain car. I got all the options except a sunroof (too tall) that makes it a pleasure to drive. Added antiroll bars that really tightened up highway handling.

I LOVE THIS CAR !!
By Scott L. on 12/10/09 15:13 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have the LT-2 with 2.4 litre, in Daytona blue,fully loaded.I have owned many cars ,high end and low end and I love this car. [I hate cookie cutter cars]. This car is quiet smooth,fast and fun to drive. Best part is....IT'S CHEAP! Please note there will be some cheap plastic and design flaws you might not like. My window controls and cup holders work just fine, that's really picky.This is a small car that drives like a big car. At least 30 mph, with a big gas tank, it goes forever! These cars are great in SNOW if you put the correct tires on it. I put on Blizzach, she drives through any snow storm. You can't beat this car for the money! You can spend more $$$ if you want better quality. GET ONE TODAY!

Don't drive in a state that gets SNOW!!
By Kimberly on 10/28/09 12:05 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is not a good vehicle for driving in snow. It gets hung up in drifts and is too light to get thru deep snow. I did like all the room when the seats are down and they fold perfectly flat. Extra storage compartments were nice.I don't understand why the window controls aren't on the doors and the cups holders are so far back.

This car HATES gas!!
By Laura on 10/06/09 11:23 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this to drive around my 4 HUGE dogs, which took the place of my gas guzzling SUV. I have had this car over a year with no problems. This car hates gas so much, the closer the needle gets to E, the need will jump back up, lol. I am getting close to 30mpg highway, which is awesome. VERY comfortable leather seats, and an easy driving & comfortable car.

Excellent auto - except for leaking
By EmeraldDixon on 09/29/09 13:13 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have enjoyed driving the 2006 HR for the last three years. My only problem is leaking after heavy rains on the floor on the drivers side. Are there other people experiencing this problem?

Trim is plastic that breaks easy
By plastic crap on 09/03/09 09:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Glove box on top of dash, made of all plastic, button broke plastic screw holders and they call it trim work. must replace entire box which in 2008 was $250. Inside door handles are made of plastic and break off in your hand when opening the doors from the inside. though the broken piece is less than a 3 oz piece of circular plastic. The dealer says to fix. You must purchase a entire new door. I was quoted $468 dollars to replace with (another entire door with a plastic handle which will just break again) x 4 doors is crazy and not covered under any of the warrentees they sold me. will not buy another chevy.