Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Best car ever
By mendez

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Me and my wife love this car. If we had the money we would buy another one just like it. I like the way I'm sitting high up with 18 inch rims. Driving the car is so smooth. My wife was scared to drive it at first because she's not used to driving a somewhat big ca,r but on the first drive she loved it, so now we switch between cars

We love the way our car came custom made with 18 inch rims. No door handles. We have a remote to open all 4 doors. The hood is white with orange black and red flames the top is black and the bottom is blue and purple. Love the XM. Radio .Never thought i would say this but, I like the leather seats.

Nothing really.

Wind / Road Noise
By Tom Swanson

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My car gets 20 mpg in town driving and 30 mpg highway. I have had it 6 months. It accelerates quickly enough to get on freeways safely. The heated seats need to be re-designed so more of the seating surface gets warm. The only complaint I have is about wind & road noise, especially at highway speeds, the noise sounds like a window is not completely shut, especially on passenger side, between the front & rear door. This appears to be the result of a design flaw. There is only one rubber seal around the front doors, & if there were two, like on the rear doors, I think the problem would not exist.

Design of front end & grille. Remote start. Concealled storage area. Steering wheel radio controls.

Re-position power window switches & put lights in them..They are hard to get to & hard to find at night, & drivers have to look down, away from the road to operate the windows. They need to be located on the doors. ALSO : Additional weather-strip is needed around the front doors to stop wind noise.

HHR Experience
By Runner

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Very satisfied with driving and ownership of vehicle. Pleasant to drive with great storage capacity for a small SUV. Would not hesitate to buy another HHR.

Storage capacity

Better performance and rear disc breaks.

Good for the Price
By K Chandler

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is a nice, cheap alternative to a very small SUV. Good gas mileage, cheap insurance, and room to store stuff when you fold down the seat. I did have to take back to the dealer to get work done on brake rotors at only 5000 miles though, seems fine now. The gearing in the automatic is very high though, so it seems a bit sluggish unless you really punch the gas, but when you do the engine gets very noisy at high RPMs, much more so than many other 4 cylinder cars out there. This car woudl really benefit from a 5 speed automatic. Great car for the money though, as long as you don't expect the highest refinement or a silky smooth engine for the price.

Exterior styling, and you sit higher up like in an SUV, very comfortable on long trips.

Get rid of the cheap looking plastic bumpy texture on the dashboard. Make the engine less noisy.

More car for your money
By kathleen

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've been impressed with the overall quality of our new HHR. We got ours close to fully loaded and it has features you'd expect to see only on much more expensive cars. It feels more solid than our Honda Accord and has a smoother, quieter ride too. It's not very fast but I guess that's the trade off for the good gas mileage. Overall I'm happy to find an affordable car with good style and lots of cool features that has excellent safety ratings(and side air bags) that's excellent on gas. Chevrolet needs to build more cars like this.

Remote start, side air curtains, and steering wheel radio controls.

Better cup holder location, more storage.