Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Why doesn't anyone know what is wrong with my car
By allij0812

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a used 2006 Chevrolet HHR in 2013. I have not experienced trouble at all until a couple of days ago. I was on the highway coming home from work and my odometers started jumping, then the warning light that display read "power steering". My steering was ok. My car was "jerking" real bad as I was slowing down and changing gears, each time I would press the gas the car would jerk. Got it home then had my neighbor drive it she is a certified mechanic. No problems during that trip. The next morning I drove it to do some errands no problems until I was almost home same issue just the odometer was not jumping and no "power steering" displayed. no one can figure out this issue, anyone ??

Spacious

Recall for the power steering problems that are obviously happening frequently !!!!

What A Trip It's Been
By darkwolf927

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Second car ever, lots of ups and downs. Lots of little things, my electrical problems alone have been a total nightmare, the $2K price tag for the AC repairs, the extra-expensive profile tires, the fact that you can't replace ANYthing easily... but I'm trying not to complain here, and here's why. Overall, I bought it used with 36k miles, 5 years later I just passed 265,000! Eaten probably $5,000 in various repairs, and I never did get around to fixing that AC. But it fits my family of 4, strollers and luggage, and I still marvel driving around on FL roads and watching it get 38 MPG. Oh, and the stock stereo has killer bass! Quarter million miles on the original trans & still going!

Stereo, comfort (I'm 6'3, the PT I test drove before this had my knees in my chin), incredible mileage, and the 2.4 has some cahones!

Tall drivers have almost NO upward field of vision. I have to scrunch up between the steering wheel and the windshield to see most red lights.

Original Owner Since New
By cc732

2006 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I originally leased this car new and bought it in '09. I drove the car 350 miles a week for the first 2 years (35,000 mi.) until I retired from General Motors Canada. It now has about 60,000 miles with no problems. Tires and brakes were replaced at about 35,000 mi. Four Uniroyal TigerPaw II snow tires solved the winter driving issues and four Michelin HydroEdges are used in the summer. Oil changes were being done when the oil life monitor indicated. Gas mileage is good at about 40 mpg. (combined) with the automatic transmission. The key sticking issue and the water leakage were fixed at my local dealer to my satisfaction. he still does all the maitenance on the vehicle.

Handling is great with the low profile tires. The Pioneer MP3 player with sub-woofer still has great sound after 6 years. Wipers, heaters, windows and defrosters are all good. Having running boards without the roof rack give it a low "slammed" look. They go well with the overall "chopped and channeled" look of a '60's hotrod. I chose the LS model with satin trim and the burgundy red paint. I matched it with satin finish 5 spoke Ultra wheels for the Michelins. The '06 has the yellow turn signals as DRLs in the daylight. In the dark, the headlight reflectors look like older, round lenses for a super retro look. The headlights work really well and look great.

I can't think of any improvements... I like having high-tech fuel injection, power windows, auto transmission, super sounding MP3 stereo system, power steering and power disc brakes. The fuel efficient 2.2L 4 cylinder completes the economical little 4 door wagon to my satisfaction. Six years later, it still runs good and looks great.

P.O.S.!! WORST CAR EVER!!!
By sean_1976

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Ive owned many cars over the years and can honestly say this is by far the worst one ive ever had. Bought it at 80K.. 92K it all started: - warped front rotors constantly - road noise is horrible - terrible desgn with blind spots - replaced the engine at 135K - wind shield wipers hitting each other - -0- power - replaced 2K worth of sensors and moduals - seats stained SOOO Easlily - if the battery goes dead, you cant open the rear gate to get to the battery.. JESUS, i absolutely HATE this damned car. Does actually get good mileage.. (when its actually on the road and not in the shop) DO NOT BUY ONE!! Id buy an ugly 1991 ford escort 4 door hatck back with 350K miles first

gas milage

discontinue this P.O.S.!

Water Problems
By shutto01

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I too was having problems with standing water in the floorboards. Easy fix.....the sunroof has 2 drain tubes that run down thru the door post, we blew these hoses out (full of nasty black debris). Once they were cleared out I have not had 1 problem with water again. I am so happy with my car. This car gets great gas mileage and performs great. So happy we figured out the problem.

You may want to redesign the drain system around the sunroof.

• SUV