Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR LS Wagon Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

deflated
By arnold owen

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Very little acceleration. With the manual trans, 5th gear of very little use except on the level.

2006 Chevy HHR
By rodfreeman

So far I love my HHR.

Seats are comfortable and it's great on gas!

Cup holders are too low and awkward to reach. Seat material stains no matter what hits it. On my particular model the window controls are down by gear shift and that takes some getting use to. The windshield is too low.

Original Owner Since New
By cc732

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I originally leased this car new and bought it in '09. I drove the car 350 miles a week for the first 2 years (35,000 mi.) until I retired from General Motors Canada. It now has about 60,000 miles with no problems.
Tires and brakes were replaced at about 35,000 mi. Four Uniroyal TigerPaw II snow tires solved the winter driving issues and four Michelin HydroEdges are used in the summer. Oil changes were being done when the oil life monitor indicated. Gas mileage is good at about 40 mpg. (combined) with the automatic transmission.
The key sticking issue and the water leakage were fixed at my local dealer to my satisfaction. he still does all the maitenance on the vehicle.

Handling is great with the low profile tires. The Pioneer MP3 player with sub-woofer still has great sound after 6 years. Wipers, heaters, windows and defrosters are all good. Having running boards without the roof rack give it a low "slammed" look. They go well with the overall "chopped and channeled" look of a '60's hotrod. I chose the LS model with satin trim and the burgundy red paint. I matched it with satin finish 5 spoke Ultra wheels for the Michelins. The '06 has the yellow turn signals as DRLs in the daylight. In the dark, the headlight reflectors look like older, round lenses for a super retro look. The headlights work really well and look great.

I can't think of any improvements... I like having high-tech fuel injection, power windows, auto transmission, super sounding MP3 stereo system, power steering and power disc brakes. The fuel efficient 2.2L 4 cylinder completes the economical little 4 door wagon to my satisfaction. Six years later, it still runs good and looks great.

I Hate My Car.
By divalicious1

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car in 2007 with 15,000 miles on it. It had one owner be fore i purchased it. I would never in my life own another Chevrolet HHR. The door handles breaks easily, and just recently I was going down the road and i was accelerating and the car started going slower and slower. I had to pull to the side of the road to see the problem, and much to my surprise there is no dip stick for the transmission. It has to be brought into a shop to be checked. But how could I bring it, it will not go into drive, only reverse.

The only good feature it had was it was a gas saver.

Sturdier door handles.

car want work
By shouseearl

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

my 2006 hhr only has 104,000 on it. always changed the oil when reguired. took very good care of car. then as i was riding down the road it just shut off. had it towed home and then found out a rod broke right in half and ended up in oil pan. any know of a recall on this.