Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

motor seized
By Barbara Laursen

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have always had the car serviced at Midway Chevrolet whenever the mileage told us to do that. Monday I was driving it and I went to pass a car. When I went into overdrive there was a "clunk" and I lost the overdrive power. No trouble lights came on so I continued on. The car began to "clunk" whenever I touched the accelerator and then as I drove. (I had to get to a doctor appt.)After the appt. I found a GMC dealer and by that time it was barely running and extremely noisy and the trouble lights were on. The engine had seized and all the oil was gone. I had 141,350 miles on it. We are getting a used engine put in. I thought the engine would last longer. Has this happened to others?

Piece Of Cr%p
By alexborsberry

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was the worst investment I ever made. I've had problem after problem with this thing. The whole car should be a recall. The thing leaks water in the inside the gear shifter broke, blower motor went out, emergency brake cable snapped, I changed the air filter and the in take hose broke, and know the piece of crap is leaking anti freeze. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. Also the chevy dealer is a bunch of scammers!!!!!

Favorite Features

heated seats are nice and surprised they still work

Suggested Improvements

learn to build a car chevrolet

2006 Chevrolet HHR 1LT 2.4 5 speed
By 06hhr

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought April, 2012. When bought it had 50,432 on it, Just short of 2 years later it's at just over 90k. Average over 20k miles a year. The clutch still feels new and the 2.4 Ecotec hasn't skipped a beat! All this said, I have done the following: -Thermostat replaced (factory installed coolant caused premature breakdown of OEM part. (known issue) - Fixed broken sunroof wind deflector (common issue) - Replaced/upgraded front rotors (OEM known to warp), upgraded to ceramic pads. Total cost, about $230 to fix, all easily done at home. The one thing I will need to have done is suspension bushings. They're shot and make the car creak horribly in cold weather.

Favorite Features

- Sunroof - Surprisingly comfortable ride, and great handling - Ample cargo space - Retro styling - Great miles per gallon - Fairly quiet ride

Suggested Improvements

Since it's out of production, nothing can be changed, but would have liked to have seen the following -Better interior fit and finish (cheap plastics) -4 wheel disc available on non SS -Better soundproofing around windows -Improved weld quality at bottom of doors (rust prone at joint) -Better suspension mounting components

Why doesn't anyone know what is wrong with my car
By allij0812

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a used 2006 Chevrolet HHR in 2013. I have not experienced trouble at all until a couple of days ago. I was on the highway coming home from work and my odometers started jumping, then the warning light that display read "power steering". My steering was ok. My car was "jerking" real bad as I was slowing down and changing gears, each time I would press the gas the car would jerk. Got it home then had my neighbor drive it she is a certified mechanic. No problems during that trip. The next morning I drove it to do some errands no problems until I was almost home same issue just the odometer was not jumping and no "power steering" displayed. no one can figure out this issue, anyone ??

Favorite Features

Spacious

Suggested Improvements

Recall for the power steering problems that are obviously happening frequently !!!!

What A Trip It's Been
By darkwolf927

2006 Chevrolet HHR Wagon LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Second car ever, lots of ups and downs. Lots of little things, my electrical problems alone have been a total nightmare, the $2K price tag for the AC repairs, the extra-expensive profile tires, the fact that you can't replace ANYthing easily... but I'm trying not to complain here, and here's why. Overall, I bought it used with 36k miles, 5 years later I just passed 265,000! Eaten probably $5,000 in various repairs, and I never did get around to fixing that AC. But it fits my family of 4, strollers and luggage, and I still marvel driving around on FL roads and watching it get 38 MPG. Oh, and the stock stereo has killer bass! Quarter million miles on the original trans & still going!

Favorite Features

Stereo, comfort (I'm 6'3, the PT I test drove before this had my knees in my chin), incredible mileage, and the 2.4 has some cahones!

Suggested Improvements

Tall drivers have almost NO upward field of vision. I have to scrunch up between the steering wheel and the windshield to see most red lights.