Used 2006 Chevrolet HHR LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet HHR - Consumer Reviews

LT Wagon (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

View reviews for a specific HHR model:
motor seized
By Barbara Laursen on 04/22/15 07:53 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We have always had the car serviced at Midway Chevrolet whenever the mileage told us to do that. Monday I was driving it and I went to pass a car. When I went into overdrive there was a "clunk" and I lost the overdrive power. No trouble lights came on so I continued on. The car began to "clunk" whenever I touched the accelerator and then as I drove. (I had to get to a doctor appt.)After the appt. I found a GMC dealer and by that time it was barely running and extremely noisy and the trouble lights were on. The engine had seized and all the oil was gone. I had 141,350 miles on it. We are getting a used engine put in. I thought the engine would last longer. Has this happened to others?

Piece Of Cr%p
By alexborsberry on 01/03/15 14:33 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was the worst investment I ever made. I've had problem after problem with this thing. The whole car should be a recall. The thing leaks water in the inside the gear shifter broke, blower motor went out, emergency brake cable snapped, I changed the air filter and the in take hose broke, and know the piece of crap is leaking anti freeze. DO NOT BUY THIS CAR. Also the chevy dealer is a bunch of scammers!!!!!

2006 Chevrolet HHR 1LT 2.4 5 speed
By 06hhr on 01/28/14 10:04 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought April, 2012. When bought it had 50,432 on it, Just short of 2 years later it's at just over 90k. Average over 20k miles a year. The clutch still feels new and the 2.4 Ecotec hasn't skipped a beat! All this said, I have done the following: -Thermostat replaced (factory installed coolant caused premature breakdown of OEM part. (known issue) - Fixed broken sunroof wind deflector (common issue) - Replaced/upgraded front rotors (OEM known to warp), upgraded to ceramic pads. Total cost, about $230 to fix, all easily done at home. The one thing I will need to have done is suspension bushings. They're shot and make the car creak horribly in cold weather.

Why doesn't anyone know what is wrong with my car
By allij0812 on 12/10/13 11:53 AM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a used 2006 Chevrolet HHR in 2013. I have not experienced trouble at all until a couple of days ago. I was on the highway coming home from work and my odometers started jumping, then the warning light that display read "power steering". My steering was ok. My car was "jerking" real bad as I was slowing down and changing gears, each time I would press the gas the car would jerk. Got it home then had my neighbor drive it she is a certified mechanic. No problems during that trip. The next morning I drove it to do some errands no problems until I was almost home same issue just the odometer was not jumping and no "power steering" displayed. no one can figure out this issue, anyone ??

What A Trip It's Been
By darkwolf927 on 10/28/13 12:09 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Second car ever, lots of ups and downs. Lots of little things, my electrical problems alone have been a total nightmare, the $2K price tag for the AC repairs, the extra-expensive profile tires, the fact that you can't replace ANYthing easily... but I'm trying not to complain here, and here's why. Overall, I bought it used with 36k miles, 5 years later I just passed 265,000! Eaten probably $5,000 in various repairs, and I never did get around to fixing that AC. But it fits my family of 4, strollers and luggage, and I still marvel driving around on FL roads and watching it get 38 MPG. Oh, and the stock stereo has killer bass! Quarter million miles on the original trans & still going!

P.O.S.!! WORST CAR EVER!!!
By sean_1976 on 01/19/13 21:57 PM (PST)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Ive owned many cars over the years and can honestly say this is by far the worst one ive ever had. Bought it at 80K.. 92K it all started: - warped front rotors constantly - road noise is horrible - terrible desgn with blind spots - replaced the engine at 135K - wind shield wipers hitting each other - -0- power - replaced 2K worth of sensors and moduals - seats stained SOOO Easlily - if the battery goes dead, you cant open the rear gate to get to the battery.. JESUS, i absolutely HATE this damned car. Does actually get good mileage.. (when its actually on the road and not in the shop) DO NOT BUY ONE!! Id buy an ugly 1991 ford escort 4 door hatck back with 350K miles first

Water Problems
By shutto01 on 07/30/12 03:41 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I too was having problems with standing water in the floorboards. Easy fix.....the sunroof has 2 drain tubes that run down thru the door post, we blew these hoses out (full of nasty black debris). Once they were cleared out I have not had 1 problem with water again. I am so happy with my car. This car gets great gas mileage and performs great. So happy we figured out the problem.

Terrible Car.
By journey615 on 07/09/12 10:39 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 2006 HHR is the 2nd car I've ever owned and the first car I've ever made payments on. Needless to say, I was extremely excited when I purchased it. That is, until the next time it rained. My car has leaked during a rain storm a total of 5 or more times now. First, it was through the sunroof (which I assumed was my fault). Then it leaked throught the passenger side door. Now it leaks through both doors. Every time it rains, I end up vacuuming my floorboard and spraying Lysol all over my car the next day. My car has been nothing but a hassle ever since I purchased it in September 2011. I do not recommend purchasing one as I am buying another car as soon as I can.

2006, HHR LT
By jake1995 on 04/02/12 09:32 AM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my HHR in March of 2012, and I love it! I get great gas mileage! A full tank will last me a month! I'm 17, and will be going off to college, soon- and this will be GREAT. It had 90,000 miles on it when I bought it- and expect it to last long! They are great cars, and very reliable!

water leak
By dmilesi on 06/19/11 12:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

my 2006 chevy HHR is leaking on the passenger side. The water is coming in from the air filter that is located under the hood. below the right windshield wiper. There is a big pocket and a air filter there so when it rains it runs right in under the dashboard. I read that many other people are having the same trouble. Chevy needs to make this a recall or they are going to lose hard working peoples business. Just one person will tell hundreds of people. If there are enough complaints maybe they will do something about this major problem. I went to [violative content deleted] , Still waiting for a response . Also read they are terrible in the snow even with studs on them.