2004 Chevrolet Express 6.0L V8 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - What got me into loving

2004 Chevrolet Express Van - Consumer Review

What got me into loving American Cars
By JW on

2004 Chevrolet Express 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I am (was) a die-hard Honda fan - I believed Honda has the most reliable and fuel efficient vehicles in US. In my 20 years of driving life, have purchased 9 new Honda & Acura cars, from Accord to Civic to CRV to Pilot to Odyssey. But since owning a Chevy Express 2500 (Explorer conversion w/ high top roof) I am not sure if Honda really is the best. I'd have to admit, when it comes to a big car, GM still is the best. (little 30mpg civic isn't for everyone you know - some of us have no other option) Express gets 16-17 MPG @ 75MPH, even when it's overloaded with 7 adults and tons of luggage. Odyssey gets 20MPG if I did the same, and there will barely be any room left to breathe.

Favorite Features

It's ironic to use the word "economic" with this big 7000 lbs vehicle with a 6.0L V8 engine. But IT IS. It gets same mileage as Yukons and Suburbans, but I get twice the space. Sure Honda gets better MPG, but enjoy traveling hundreds of miles in a crammed 20MPG Odyssey.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really, may be some better interior materials would be nice. Steering cold use some improvements, but 2005 model went to Rack and Pinion so this is the best full size van you can buy in US. Period.