Used 2004 Chevrolet Express 2500 Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Express - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Express model:

Most Helpful|
What got me into loving American Cars
By JW

2004 Chevrolet Express Van 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I am (was) a die-hard Honda fan - I believed Honda has the most reliable and fuel efficient vehicles in US. In my 20 years of driving life, have purchased 9 new Honda & Acura cars, from Accord to Civic to CRV to Pilot to Odyssey. But since owning a Chevy Express 2500 (Explorer conversion w/ high top roof) I am not sure if Honda really is the best. I'd have to admit, when it comes to a big car, GM still is the best. (little 30mpg civic isn't for everyone you know - some of us have no other option) Express gets 16-17 MPG @ 75MPH, even when it's overloaded with 7 adults and tons of luggage. Odyssey gets 20MPG if I did the same, and there will barely be any room left to breathe.

Favorite Features

It's ironic to use the word "economic" with this big 7000 lbs vehicle with a 6.0L V8 engine. But IT IS. It gets same mileage as Yukons and Suburbans, but I get twice the space. Sure Honda gets better MPG, but enjoy traveling hundreds of miles in a crammed 20MPG Odyssey.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really, may be some better interior materials would be nice. Steering cold use some improvements, but 2005 model went to Rack and Pinion so this is the best full size van you can buy in US. Period.

Coming from Fords, very dissapointed.
By Greg

2004 Chevrolet Express Van 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Mechanically these are superior to the Fords, as far as engine and transmission. However, everything else is worse. The old 1975-1992 Econoline has more room, feels better, drives better, handles better, body is more solid, I could go on an on. The Express interior is very cheap and uncomfortable. Hard plastic creaks and feels like it's going to break whenever you touch it. Feels coarse and unpleasant on skin. Front seating is cramped and much less roomy than Ford. Rides like a "rock". Feels like you better handle it with "kid gloves" or it will break. Sliding door rattles and shakes like tin foil when you close it GENTLY. All doors, controls, seats, and dash feel cheap compared to Ford.

Favorite Features

This is the 2500HD series, 8 lug wheels, 6.0 liter. What I like: Much better engine and trans. design than Ford. Much easier to work on for mechanics, and preferred by those who know. More power and potential to modify. However at anything less than full throttle, the Fords feel tighter and quicker.

Suggested Improvements

1. Improve interior design, ergonomics, feel to the touch, room, and QUALITY. 2. Improve body and doors solidity, rigidity. An old 70's chevy van feels more solid. 3. Improve steering, ride, and handling to better the Fords. It's WORSE now. 4. Improve MPG for the 6.0. Getting 12-14 mpg empty now.