Used 2004 Chevrolet Express 1500 Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Express - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Express Van

View reviews for a specific Express model:

Best Van Ever built
By Rollin

2004 Chevrolet Express Van 1500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this van for work and pleasure , it has turned out to be my every day driver... I love it, my favorite thing about this van is the FUEL ECONOMY it is amazing i have the 5.3 vortec and loaded with about thousand pounds i get 20 - 22 mpg rollin down the highway at 75 85 mph,you cant beat it. Very comfortable and actually easy to park.

Favorite Features

5.3 vortec engine FUEL ECONOMY , cloth seats and all the room inside

Suggested Improvements

Would love to have the radio and cruise buttons on the steering wheel

Comsumer Beware
By Disappointed

2004 Chevrolet Express Van 1500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

While I like the design of the van especially the exterior look and the rear doors (hinges designed to maximize access/storage)I have been disappointed with the reliability. I have had to replace the fuel pump ($600), the water pump, and one of the side windows fell out, yes fell out ($1000). The mechanic told me (kingman az dealership) there is a design flaw in the fuel pump which manifests itself primarily in higher elevation, hotter climates. He told me that Chevy knows but wont replace them. All these repairs were needed while the vehicle had less than 75,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Exterior Design. Rear Door Hinge Design & sliding side door.

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel pump, better dealer service. would like a roof rack.

Better then SUV for a trailer and kids
By Chris

2004 Chevrolet Express Van 1500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We needed the ability to tow a trailer and carry 7. All the SUVs we looked at had a back seat that you must get into like a 2 door car. All the small vans cannot tow a trailer. We found that conversion vans are the best fit. What a pleasure to drive and tow (its like the trailer is not there). This has lots of power - even on the hills a smoth ride and handles like a smaller vehicle. We test drove the Ford and found it nice - but you never forgot you had a truck under you, also we could not get the 4th door. Gas mileage is not as bad as I feared - 13mpg with trailer, 19 on the open road,14/15 every day.

Favorite Features

The 4th door (behind the driver) is a must have for kids. The handling is a good suprise compared to the vans of the 1980s and it's solid

Suggested Improvements

The back doors, while well constructed and convenent to open - obstruct the view out the back - you sometimes back by braile. Also no rear window defogger is avalible on the back doors. A hatch may be the solution to this. Floor mats are proving tough to find - probably other accessories are as well.

Conversion Van
By jhillen

2004 Chevrolet Express Van 1500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Good solid vehicle for a family. Good value when compared to a Suburban. Even with 4.3L V6, it has good perfomance. Available V8 would probably be better. Locking rear axle makes winter driving very doable. Optional 4 wheel disk brakes are welcome addition to stop this 5300lb truck.

Favorite Features

Interior room and rear entry doors on both sides. Rear heat unit is great too. Handles well for a large vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign rear doors. Exterior plastic corners are a cheap touch for an otherwise fine vehicle. The dash is cheap looking too. Sticker on this conversion van was 38K. I got it for much less though. Must use materials that feel better.

Great van, handles great.
By Tim

2004 Chevrolet Express Van 1500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van rides and handles great. Bought a new 2004 Express Low top Chariot conversion. Very comfortable on trips or around town. Average highway mpg is over 20. Not bad for a big van. Only suggestion is they replace cheap plastic arm rest on door with a padded material.

Favorite Features

Driver side door and fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Less plastic on interior, more padding!