Used 2002 Chevrolet Express 2500 Van Consumer Reviews - 2 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Express Van - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Express model:

Chevrolet Express Van ("Summer Van")
By kieblaiy

2002 Chevrolet Express Van 2500 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Chevrolet is known for it's trucks and compact cars. However, their 'dark horse' known as the Express Van rarely attracts any positive attention. As an individual working in the demanding trade of plumbing, never have I ever experienced such a royal piece of sh*t that refuses to die. My efforts to overload it's weight rating and to continuously postpone oil changes, have produced no results as it defiantly clings to life. The water pump, heating element, engine light, and gas consumption are constant issues. This van is much like the Stephen King Novel's famous car Christine, however it does not heal itself, it maintains a poor condition to syphon your hard earned money. Avoid at all costs.

My personal favourite feature is the vans ability to surprise you with new problems on a daily basis. They are no catastrophic problems, more or less minor enough to warrant repair and constant wallet draining. Some other prolific features are the lack of air conditioning in some models, the lack of a CD player, and a fully functioning engine light. The tail lights consistently require changing. This van has a high likelihood of being impounded or pulled over due to it's faulty electrical wiring. It's best feature is gas consumption. In these times of high gas prices, there is no better way to rid yourself of your money faster than driving this van on a regular basis.

The most obvious improvement this van requires is to be wiped from existence. How there has not been a complete recall to rid the world of this model is probably the greatest oversight in the universe. Do not be fooled by the other reviews on this site, most were posted by Chevrolet executives in denial about this lemon of a van. Avoid at all costs.

Love my van!
By Susan

2002 Chevrolet Express Van 2500 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I would love to drive a sporty little Thunderbird, but reality is that I have 4 teenage athletic boys. We bought the van to cart the boys (and their teams) to various sporting events, plus we like to travel. With 12 passenger seating, 6 of us can travel from MN to TX in comfort and we can haul the entire soccer/basketball/baseball team to games, no problem, yet it still fits in my garage fine. With my hitch, I can haul anything. My beefs are: braking system - pads need to be replaced often, and with the most expensive pads to keep them from squeaking badly; the gas mileage stinks! Plus, I usually do end up providing transportation for the entire team/youth group, since I can.

Wonderful stereo system, love the room!

Something must be done about those brakes.