Used 2002 Chevrolet Express Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Express - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Express

View reviews for a specific Express model:

Chevrolet Express Van ("Summer Van")
By kieblaiy

2002 Chevrolet Express 2500 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Chevrolet is known for it's trucks and compact cars. However, their 'dark horse' known as the Express Van rarely attracts any positive attention. As an individual working in the demanding trade of plumbing, never have I ever experienced such a royal piece of sh*t that refuses to die. My efforts to overload it's weight rating and to continuously postpone oil changes, have produced no results as it defiantly clings to life. The water pump, heating element, engine light, and gas consumption are constant issues. This van is much like the Stephen King Novel's famous car Christine, however it does not heal itself, it maintains a poor condition to syphon your hard earned money. Avoid at all costs.

Favorite Features

My personal favourite feature is the vans ability to surprise you with new problems on a daily basis. They are no catastrophic problems, more or less minor enough to warrant repair and constant wallet draining. Some other prolific features are the lack of air conditioning in some models, the lack of a CD player, and a fully functioning engine light. The tail lights consistently require changing. This van has a high likelihood of being impounded or pulled over due to it's faulty electrical wiring. It's best feature is gas consumption. In these times of high gas prices, there is no better way to rid yourself of your money faster than driving this van on a regular basis.

Suggested Improvements

The most obvious improvement this van requires is to be wiped from existence. How there has not been a complete recall to rid the world of this model is probably the greatest oversight in the universe. Do not be fooled by the other reviews on this site, most were posted by Chevrolet executives in denial about this lemon of a van. Avoid at all costs.

Love my van!
By Susan

2002 Chevrolet Express 2500 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I would love to drive a sporty little Thunderbird, but reality is that I have 4 teenage athletic boys. We bought the van to cart the boys (and their teams) to various sporting events, plus we like to travel. With 12 passenger seating, 6 of us can travel from MN to TX in comfort and we can haul the entire soccer/basketball/baseball team to games, no problem, yet it still fits in my garage fine. With my hitch, I can haul anything. My beefs are: braking system - pads need to be replaced often, and with the most expensive pads to keep them from squeaking badly; the gas mileage stinks! Plus, I usually do end up providing transportation for the entire team/youth group, since I can.

Favorite Features

Wonderful stereo system, love the room!

Suggested Improvements

Something must be done about those brakes.

Van for All uses
By AKJIM

2002 Chevrolet Express 3500 3dr Ext Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I'd previously owned 2 Ford 15 passenger vans and this was my first Chevy Express Van. I'm NEVER going back to the Ford vans! This Express Van drives with much greater stability and handling honesty. It has been trouble free for 62,000 miles and is still going strong. I pull the seats and use it to haul plywood or put in a fouton for traveling. I even carry a motorcycle inside on occassion. Driving at 55 I get 17-18 mpg (5.7 L engine) on long trips. Highly Recommended! I just bought a 2005 for my business uses too.

Favorite Features

Honest handling when loaded. Reliability

Suggested Improvements

Fan "roars" for a half block or so on first drive of the day when it is really cold outside. Don't see why that has to happen. It's just an auditory annoyance that lasts on a few moments. Sheet metal on fenders is a little thin for my preferences, but it has held up OK.

G1500 Regency Conversion
By g wright

2002 Chevrolet Express 1500 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

We use our van for long trips and to haul grandkids and anyhting you might need a pickup for. It is the most versatile vehicle we have ever owned and the best Chevy product, we think. Roomy, comfortable and decent on the gas (18-23) on the road. Excellent reliability overall after few electrical problems ar first. Regency conversion elegant and perfect since day one. It runs and looks like new after 3 years and almost 60000 miles. Trying for 100000 before getting another one. Much better bargain than large SUV.

Favorite Features

Dual leather captain's chairs, dual zone A/C, sound/TV/DVD systems, storage space for all your junk, great fake wood everywhere, lots and lots of room to stretch out.

Suggested Improvements

I wish this model had ABS brakes. Larger mirrors that did not shake would have been nice since there are a few blind spots as cars approach from the rear.

02 chev 15 pass van
By sternberg547

2002 Chevrolet Express 3500 3dr Ext Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

excellent driveability, no stability problems, no mechanical problems. ownership has exceeded expectations as of 28000mi. my highest reccomendation.

Favorite Features

cargo/pass space, I have 12 children.

Suggested Improvements

Work on eliminating engine fan noise at startup