Used 2001 Chevrolet Express Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Express - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Express

View reviews for a specific Express model:

It's paid for so don't laugh.
By firefightingfool

2001 Chevrolet Express 1500 LT 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I love my van. My wife hates it. (Due to the consumption of fuel, along with the price of fuel.) I upgraded from an Chevy Astro. The room, the entertainment system, the handling, the styling, the aggressive motor, the storage room behind the rear seat, the duel A/C. I can go on forever. The only drawback is the fuel economy, which I really don't mind, because the entire family can travel in comfort. I bought my van with 29,000 miles and I currently have just over 93,000 miles. When it comes to repairs, I've needed to replace my starter, alternator and battery. With regular maintenance my vehicle has been superb.

Favorite Features

The entertainment system. My wife and I love the ability to listen to the radio while the youngest watches movies on the VCR, and the oldest plays with their game cube, Playstation or whatever. We've also hooked up a DVD player which shows on both TV's when the VCR is off. Fantastic

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy could be improved, along with the levers for reclining the seats. Over time the levers gave way, became brittle and broke away. One more area where the van could be slightly improved is to have a reclining rear bench seat. (Folds down to make a bed).

Excellent product
By LJRacing91

2001 Chevrolet Express 2500 3dr Ext Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this van from the original owner in May of '08 at 105k miles. Have put almost 40k miles on it since that time, as I drive hotshot. It has never left me hanging, and aside from the chronic taillight problem, valve guide seals, and an alternator, it's been problem free. It hauls 3000lbs of payload easily, and has the ability to haul 3 full size pallets (12' total!). The seats are excellent for long trips, as I go out of town/state regularly. Would definitely recommend this van for work of any kind. An excellent hauler with plenty of power, and a stable ride, even with 3000lbs in the back. It doesn't drift or float. Keep it maintained and it will go forever.

Favorite Features

12' of cargo space and nearly 4' in height. Makes it easy to transport a ton of goods. Wide swinging doors make it extremely easy to load pallets, and a 40"x48" pallet will fit in through the side door.

Suggested Improvements

Slightly more ergonomical radio and dashboard.

Nice Family Van
By David

2001 Chevrolet Express 1500 LT 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought new in July 2001. Due to kid reduction am ready to sell. Was great family van. Tows great. Plenty of room everywhere! No better vehicle for 2-4 kids.

Favorite Features

Comfortable leather seats, great sounding stereo, outstanding people transporter. VCR with two screens nice but expensive option.

Suggested Improvements

Interior and exterior fit and finish quickly goes downhill after 4 year milestone. Other failures are the general tightness of vehicle. It is starting to creak and squeak all over. I guess between 200,000 and 250,000 miles it will fall into a heap where it stands.

Better in the long run
By Yak

2001 Chevrolet Express 1500 LT 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

We have now owned this vehicle for more than 4 years. We are having the same experiences with the seat levers breaking but other than that it is a real workhorse. We are now towing a 4400 lb camper with it and it is doing marvelously. Sure the gas mileage stinks but it's solid mechanically. The driver side sun visor has been replaced 4 times and it's still falling apart. The kids love the van and for long trips, that's really important. We even use it to transport half of my son's basketball team to games.

Favorite Features

Sound system and tough towing package. Just keep it out of overdrive.

Suggested Improvements

The inside trim level is falling apart and rattles alot.

Family Van and Cargo hauler
By boili

2001 Chevrolet Express 1500 LT 3dr Van (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the van to have more cargo space. Mission accomplished. Cavernous room after to take out all seats. Easy to drive und relaxing ride on long trips. High seat position give a good view. LT trim very appealing. Enjoy stepping in every time.

Favorite Features

Interior very comfy and quite. Lots of room for legs and still plenty of cargo space. Enjoy bose sound system. Quite ride, almost none to very little wind noise. Good for pulling (5.7L engine)

Suggested Improvements

Interior moldings are cheaply made. Always something to sqeak or rattle. I'm surprised that GM puts that into a LT model. Passenger door(center) has slight rattle. Maybe needs some adjustment.