1999 Chevrolet Express Consumer Review: High mileage problems !

1999 Chevrolet Express Van - Consumer Review

High mileage problems !
By Fisherman Joe on

1999 Chevrolet Express G1500 3dr Van

I purchased my 1500 Express 5 years ago, & when I picked it up I started a long drive home, & at 2:30 am on the freeway it quit. 3 days later I was away again after replacing a fuel pump at about 149,000 mi. The rest of my trip was uneventful. Other than the usual wear & tear (brakes, a 2nd in- tank fuel pump,muffler, door lock).I still have the van with 240,000 mi. For the past year or so, it has been running really rough. I changed fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor, rotor, & other parts to no avail. Finally took it to a dealer. $1950 later it has a new computer, injector, vacuum leak repaired, c/w all tuning & reprogramming. For the last 100 miles or so it runs like new !!

Factory insulation works great - but the installation & workmanship is very poor. Seats are comfortable, privacy glass is a nice feature, but our unit is bottom-line i.e. no cruise, or a/c, or tilt wheel, or p/w, etc. Fuel mileage is VERY good (25 mpg hiway)for a vehicle this size.

Pedal placement is poor. Except for the engine, most other parts are bottom line quality, such as the plastic door panels as ref. by another owner. Newer models have a much better placement for the pcm module, instead of directly under the washer fluid fill bottle, brake & steering reservoirs.