Used 1999 Chevrolet Express Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Express - Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Express Van

View reviews for a specific Express model:

High mileage problems !
By Fisherman Joe

1999 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

I purchased my 1500 Express 5 years ago, & when I picked it up I started a long drive home, & at 2:30 am on the freeway it quit. 3 days later I was away again after replacing a fuel pump at about 149,000 mi. The rest of my trip was uneventful. Other than the usual wear & tear (brakes, a 2nd in- tank fuel pump,muffler, door lock).I still have the van with 240,000 mi. For the past year or so, it has been running really rough. I changed fuel filter, spark plugs, distributor, rotor, & other parts to no avail. Finally took it to a dealer. $1950 later it has a new computer, injector, vacuum leak repaired, c/w all tuning & reprogramming. For the last 100 miles or so it runs like new !!

Favorite Features

Factory insulation works great - but the installation & workmanship is very poor. Seats are comfortable, privacy glass is a nice feature, but our unit is bottom-line i.e. no cruise, or a/c, or tilt wheel, or p/w, etc. Fuel mileage is VERY good (25 mpg hiway)for a vehicle this size.

Suggested Improvements

Pedal placement is poor. Except for the engine, most other parts are bottom line quality, such as the plastic door panels as ref. by another owner. Newer models have a much better placement for the pcm module, instead of directly under the washer fluid fill bottle, brake & steering reservoirs.

Good for everything
By Great for everything

1999 Chevrolet Express Van G3500 LS 3dr Ext Van

I have used this van for heavy hauling, passengers, and road trips. Is better than an SUV in almost every way. More space, more seating, more comfort, and just great for everything!

Favorite Features

Dual air and heated power mirrors

Suggested Improvements

Better fuel economy

Big Family Hauler
By dennis

1999 Chevrolet Express Van G3500 LS 3dr Ext Van

We bought this rascal in lieu of a Suburban and in favor of Ford's one tonner. It has served us well, although the interior finish is better suited for a cheap doll house. Roadability is excellent. I am over 6'3" and not skinny and I can drive for hours in this vehicle without the usual leg cramps, etc. If you are tall and heavy, you understand. As I said, the interior lacks in quality, the carpet wore through 2 years ago, the reclining passenger seat now is a rocking chair, the door panels are impossible to keep attached with use. The engine is flawless as long as it is serviced regularly, it will let you know if you forget. The transmission is still under scrutiny.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

Air conditioning is anemic in extreme weather, Interior trim is lousy. Exterior finish(paint) not durable enough. No reason for ordinary maintenance to be so difficult.(Plugs, wires, etc.) Again Interior trim is lousy. Fuel economy is lousy, but what do you expect?