Used 1998 Chevrolet Express Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Express - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Express model:

Great Van... a True Life-Saver!!
By Stevemko

1998 Chevrolet Express G1500 LS 3dr Van

Our '98 Chevy Express Van came with the luxurious Stealth conversion package. This vehicle was a true joy to drive --- responsive, comfortable seating, excellent view, ergonomic cabin layout and other super-duper features. Whether driving to Disney World or shopping for groceries, we traveled in splendid comfort. Four years and 110,000 miles later, it still ran in tip-top condition. Recently, we accidentally rolled over this van in an accident on an icy stretch of I-81. Thanks to God, and to the Chevy Express design, no one was injured. It was indeed a miracle and a tribute to this wonderful van!

Favorite Features

What's best? .... Almost everything is great about the Chevy Express --- excellent visibility, smooth engine, good sound system, storage capacity, etc. .... A solid performer in every way. Sturdy construction --- holds up well, even when vehicle is rolled over!

Suggested Improvements

I'd suggest using some higher quality interior trim components (plastics).

No Regrets
By Joel M.

1998 Chevrolet Express G1500 LS 3dr Van

With a growing family, I hesitantly decided to purchase a full size van versus going mini again or Suburban. The deciding factor was cargo room. I have no regrets. I comfortably fit the whole family plus I have 4.5 feet of cargo room behind the rear bench that makes travel very nice (no car-top carrier anymore). My van has the 5.0 V8, which is smooth and has lots of power. Towing up 5000 lbs is no problem. The transmission is very smooth for a GM product. Mileage with the 5.0 is about 15/18. This van has never been in the shop for repairs (one body repair – see below) and it’s approaching 60000. I and my wife both love it.

Favorite Features

Strong engine/transmission. ABS with good tires makes winter driving easy. Rear heat/AC is a MUST. Has been very reliable. All the Power, seating, towing of a Suburban plus more storage for about 1/2 the cost. I love that!

Suggested Improvements

One negative must be pointed out. Rear and side doors have exterior hinges which I have had to replace because the pins have rusted and seized. This is just plain bad design.