1996 Chevrolet Express G2500 Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Express - Consumer Reviews

1996 Express Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Express model:

Sort Reviews by

Outstanding multi-purpose vehicle!
By johngcarr

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

I bought this van 2 years ago having 174k miles on it. I'm approaching 200k now and it runs like new. It does need brakes every 15k because it's fairly heavy. I average 19+ mpg highway with a 5.7 350 V8, 8000lb towing capacity conversion van that is exceptionally comfortable for 7 people. If it ever does wear out I'll buy another one, but from talking to other owners it likely never will. This is the original engine and transmission having no repairs other than a radiator and a fuel pump at 185k. I understand the 4.3 v6 model to be just as good except for towing capability.

Favorite Features

Comfort, towing capacity, conversion improvements, reliability, fuel economy, quality of build, road handling.

Suggested Improvements

They already made them in 2003 - driver-side rear doors and lower form running boards. Nit-picking stuff.

Greatest family vehicle ever made!
By JohnGCarr

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

I bought this van as an occasional use vehicle for family trips last year with 174k on it. It ran and still does run like brand new. I have the Debut conversion which is extremely comfortable for the whole family. The miles don't bother me in the slightest now as I've seen them with over 300k running smoothly. It looks like brand new both outside and inside and everything works perfectly. Mine has the towing package with 5.7 V8 and still manages to get very decent gas mileage even with 6 or more people and a load in the back. We'll likely have many more years of use out of it and then I'll buy another one :)

Favorite Features

Size, comfort, power, gas mileage for such a large vehicle, quality, reliability. It would be hard to improve upon for a family vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

None that weren't addressed in later years.

Do Not Buy
By GetRidOf_Chev

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

We bought this van new with Conversion package. Put in 1st transmission at 51K, 2nd at 75K ( 96 has big time transmission problems ) Intake manifold gasket, new radiator and finally fuel pump. About $6000 in repairs since we owned it. Cant wait to get rid of it.

Favorite Features

It has plenty of room for the kids, No he/she's touching me.

Suggested Improvements

Quality and mechanical design is poor, even by Chevrolet low standards.

Da perfect family van
By Big-Van-man

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

We wanted to put some distance between the back of our seats and the kids shoes. We got that and then some. Have traveled 1000's of miles of highway with the fam and loved it. Could never do it in a minivan. Mechanical problems: AC compressor froze and got stuck in the winter, cooling system leaks, had radiator replaced at 85000. No other major repairs, current miles 112000.

Favorite Features

OK fuel economy for the size, huge interior space, smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Tighter mirrors, they do vibrate too much sometimes.

great tow vehicle
By cooch

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G2500 3dr Van

purchased new to pull camping trailer. Mechanically very dependable and still runs great after 7 years. Interior fit and finish mediocre. Plastic does not fit cleanly. outside mirrors vibrate.

Favorite Features

roomy, comfortable interior, easy to drive.

Suggested Improvements

interior fit and finish needs help. Rear center pillar on back blocks vision from inside rearview mirror.

great vehicle
By MikeJ

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

This vehicle has been fantastic. Only problems I have had in 90,000 miles is that the computer went bad and intake manifold gasket. Still tuns like brand new

Favorite Features

good looking van nice feature with the rear doors opening flat back

Suggested Improvements

needs a little stiffer ride in the front

Chevy should be ashamed
By DadofFour

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

We have owned this Chevy G1500 conversion van for 16 months. We purchased the vehicle with only 62000 miles. Today the odometer reads 76000 miles. In the past 16 months we have spent $600 to replace the breaks TWICE, $1700 on a new transmission, $700 on the a/c (condensor) and $200 on a water pump. Thats $3200 in 16 months with the fear of more to come.

Favorite Features

Very roomy

Suggested Improvements

If chevy is planning to build a full size van with the characteristics of a truck, the vehicle should hold-up to chevy truck standards.

GM needs quality control improvement
By Kayaker

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

Mine is a conversion van Mark III so the interior is better than standard.The car is a good road warrior but had the ABS go out at 48k, the a/c rear at 25k, and a drive shaft leaking oil at 27k. Brakes inadequate for such a large vehicle.At 59k, bits and pieces of trim are departing or breaking I echo the concern about vibrating rear view mirrors. Very flimsy side door. I am convinced Chevy could build a better van if they tried. Now that the kids are bigger, next car is a Subaru which will last forever.

Favorite Features

rain gutters let me attach roof racks high tailights not blocked by open door vast interior space

Suggested Improvements

overall quality control improvement non-vibrating rear view mirrors handles and knobs that stay on more solid side door windows that dont rattle window switches that work after warranty rear power outlet (2)

Next Time,I'll buy FORD
By PERK

1996 Chevrolet Express Van G1500 3dr Van

I bought this van used.At 50,000 miles,the fuel pump went bad.I have spent over $1000.00 on the air conditioning.Now the computer is bad.I expected better performance from a GM product.Fit and finish is poor,at best.The outside rear view mirrors vibrate excessively.

Favorite Features

I like full size vans.Great for long trips.I think fuel mileage is above average,given the vehicles size.

Suggested Improvements

Stop the mirror vibration.Interior trim fit and finish should be equal to that of the other GM products.This seems like an afterthought.