Mike's cargo van
By Mike on
2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)
I own a 2005, but the 08' is identical. I own a carpet cleaning business and the van has 1 ton+ of equipment mounted inside. It has had perfect reliability. The Ford is a very old design. The Sprinter was weird, expensive, and underpowered. It also wouldn't fit in my garage. I cheaped out & didn't get PW/PM/PL. Get the power accessories as walking around to unlock the doors is a pain! I think for the money this is by far the best cargo van. One gripe: GM seems to tune their gen-2 small-block V8's for power rather than low-rpm torque. I have the 4.8 w/3.73 axle. With all the weight I'm hauling it's barely enough. You may have to special order it, but get the 4.10 axle if you have the 4.8
Favorite Features
Great reliability, decent handling and fuel economy (for a cargo van, of course!) Seats are quite comfortable and way better than those in my Silverado. The engine is quite smooth.
Suggested Improvements
Engine needs more low-rpm torque. Really, it also needs a 5 or even 6-speed auto. This could give a lower 1st gear and tighter gear spacing. Some interior bits are cheap, but perfectly acceptable for a cargo van. Engine noise is high, but likely due more to lack of insulation than the engine itself