Used 2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Express-cargo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Express Cargo model:

WOW
By wow 360K

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

All I can say is 360K with no troubles. Engine/ trans /brakes/ electrical all exceptionally reliable. I am religious about maintenance and clean fluids which I believe has paid off. Drives great and very comfortable with seat mounted arm rests and cruise. I would consider no other after the service this vehicle has given me. This vehicle is a 2500, 4.8, 480el, semi floating 8 bolt axle, extended wheel base. It is worked everyday hauling hardwood flooring.

Favorite Features

one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever driven. Pretty easy to service

Suggested Improvements

-drain plug in transmission pan -better radio

Express Van Workhorses
By Joe Flash

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 3500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I own two express vans that is use for my business, A 99, (170k miles) and 2005, (143k miles) 3500 ext vans. I have owned Ford vans prior to the Chevys. Ford makes a good van but my Express vans have more headroom, (no need for a sprinter van) and are more comfortable and durable. I load a lot of weight on my vans and they handle it without a problem. I think they are quality built. I have not had any problems with minor things breaking. But, then again, I do not abuse my vehicles. I work them hard, but I also maintain them. I would just like to say that I am very satisfied with my Chevy Express vans.

Favorite Features

Dash features, rear cargo headroom

Suggested Improvements

Side barn door stop needs to be built stronger.

A good van.
By Happy Owner

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

For a van it handled well and was very comfortable to drive. Overall excellent reliability. A few glitches in the side door hinges and with a couple of the interior lights. Fuel economy varied dramatically by driving habits. Ranged from 12 to 22 mpg city to highway. Drivetrain reliability was excellent, with minimal expenses for maintenance or repairs in about 50K miles.

Favorite Features

Good handling and brakes. Good engine, and reasonable fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo selection could use improvement. Door hinges on side doors bind up, and the recall helped, but didn't entirely eliminate binding. Oh yeah - and we could use faster warmup in the Chicago winters.

Mike's cargo van
By Mike

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2005, but the 08' is identical. I own a carpet cleaning business and the van has 1 ton+ of equipment mounted inside. It has had perfect reliability. The Ford is a very old design. The Sprinter was weird, expensive, and underpowered. It also wouldn't fit in my garage. I cheaped out & didn't get PW/PM/PL. Get the power accessories as walking around to unlock the doors is a pain! I think for the money this is by far the best cargo van. One gripe: GM seems to tune their gen-2 small-block V8's for power rather than low-rpm torque. I have the 4.8 w/3.73 axle. With all the weight I'm hauling it's barely enough. You may have to special order it, but get the 4.10 axle if you have the 4.8

Favorite Features

Great reliability, decent handling and fuel economy (for a cargo van, of course!) Seats are quite comfortable and way better than those in my Silverado. The engine is quite smooth.

Suggested Improvements

Engine needs more low-rpm torque. Really, it also needs a 5 or even 6-speed auto. This could give a lower 1st gear and tighter gear spacing. Some interior bits are cheap, but perfectly acceptable for a cargo van. Engine noise is high, but likely due more to lack of insulation than the engine itself

Decent Work Van
By Tom R

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this van primarily to transport my disabled mother around on weekends. (I had a wheelchair lift unit installed on the side door). It was an attractive choice for me because it's secondary purspose is that it can used as our family's pickup truck. At 10,000 miles I have experienced zero defects. I have found the van to be comfortable and powerful. I loan this thing out to friends and family a lot and get many compliments about how nice it drives. As far as appearance and interior quality, It's a cargo van. I don't expect a luxurious interior and head turning looks. I use this thing to move stuff.

Favorite Features

Smooth powerful V8. Drives great on the highway.