2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Express Cargo model:
WOW
By wow 360K on 12/17/09 15:05 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

All I can say is 360K with no troubles. Engine/ trans /brakes/ electrical all exceptionally reliable. I am religious about maintenance and clean fluids which I believe has paid off. Drives great and very comfortable with seat mounted arm rests and cruise. I would consider no other after the service this vehicle has given me. This vehicle is a 2500, 4.8, 480el, semi floating 8 bolt axle, extended wheel base. It is worked everyday hauling hardwood flooring.

Express Van Workhorses
By Joe Flash on 02/02/09 17:32 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 3500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I own two express vans that is use for my business, A 99, (170k miles) and 2005, (143k miles) 3500 ext vans. I have owned Ford vans prior to the Chevys. Ford makes a good van but my Express vans have more headroom, (no need for a sprinter van) and are more comfortable and durable. I load a lot of weight on my vans and they handle it without a problem. I think they are quality built. I have not had any problems with minor things breaking. But, then again, I do not abuse my vehicles. I work them hard, but I also maintain them. I would just like to say that I am very satisfied with my Chevy Express vans.

A good van.
By Happy Owner on 12/28/08 19:36 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

For a van it handled well and was very comfortable to drive. Overall excellent reliability. A few glitches in the side door hinges and with a couple of the interior lights. Fuel economy varied dramatically by driving habits. Ranged from 12 to 22 mpg city to highway. Drivetrain reliability was excellent, with minimal expenses for maintenance or repairs in about 50K miles.

Mike's cargo van
By Mike on 11/14/07 22:50 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I own a 2005, but the 08' is identical. I own a carpet cleaning business and the van has 1 ton+ of equipment mounted inside. It has had perfect reliability. The Ford is a very old design. The Sprinter was weird, expensive, and underpowered. It also wouldn't fit in my garage. I cheaped out & didn't get PW/PM/PL. Get the power accessories as walking around to unlock the doors is a pain! I think for the money this is by far the best cargo van. One gripe: GM seems to tune their gen-2 small-block V8's for power rather than low-rpm torque. I have the 4.8 w/3.73 axle. With all the weight I'm hauling it's barely enough. You may have to special order it, but get the 4.10 axle if you have the 4.8

Decent Work Van
By Tom R on 10/10/07 09:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this van primarily to transport my disabled mother around on weekends. (I had a wheelchair lift unit installed on the side door). It was an attractive choice for me because it's secondary purspose is that it can used as our family's pickup truck. At 10,000 miles I have experienced zero defects. I have found the van to be comfortable and powerful. I loan this thing out to friends and family a lot and get many compliments about how nice it drives. As far as appearance and interior quality, It's a cargo van. I don't expect a luxurious interior and head turning looks. I use this thing to move stuff.

Good work van, but not much else
By Jimmy Wait on 02/24/07 12:04 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I use this van for hauling, and it does a great job of that because of the huge cargo area. It has decent excelleration for it's size and weight and a fairly comfortable ride. I have had no mechanical problems as of yet and for the most part I like driving it. The only real downside for me is the low grade interior parts. Everything is made of cheap plastic and the exterior metal feels alot thinner and more flexable than the old 1988 Chevy van I drove previously. All in all, I feel it's a good work van for the price.

2005 Chevy Express 3500 Ext 6.0L
By Joe on 09/26/06 19:00 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 3500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I replaced a 1993 Ford E250 with this van. The low employee pricing swayed me away from Ford. It was a better value at the time, however, I was soon disapponted by the large turning circle due to the extended wheelbase frame compared to Ford's EXT model. Chevy's wheelbase and 1 foot extra length makes it hard to parallel park.

Just what the business need
By bulldog carpet clean on 11/10/05 12:53 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Everytime I set foot in the drivers seat I thank all involved with me purchasing such a dependable vehicle. As a carpet cleaner with truckmounted equipment, I need something heavy duty as this van. Carrying about an extra 3 thousand pounds from equipment and water the express van does not skip a beat even riding up a steep hill. That's power!!

Never
By mario on 06/18/05 09:36 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 1500 AWD 3dr Van (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

The van only has 31,500 miles and i already had to take it to the shop 3 times for repair. I don't think Ill ever get a Chevy again. I also have a Chevy S10 that I had to take to the shop 5 times and it only has 34,800 miles on it. All the repairs are on the electricals.

Chevy vans-why they stink
By frank bolsom on 01/07/05 18:21 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Express Cargo 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Plastic, plastic, plastic. Cheap build quality. Fair ride. Horrible mileage. Body parts flimsy and poorly constructed. Lacking in any get up and go. I can't belive it's the only game in town! I am so sorry I might be stuck with this vehicle. The styling is so bad I can't belive someone was actually paid to design this van. It's that bad! Ugly. I am so disappointed in this van. What a sucker I was to get it.