Used 2004 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Express-cargo - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van

View reviews for a specific Express Cargo model:

Starcraft LT Conversion (5.3L V8)
By John K

2004 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 1500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

The van is really an Express RV-base model upgraded with a Starcraft low-top conversion. Great vehicle. Starcraft conversion approach much better than going with the conventional Chevy passenger van. Owned a couple of Ford vans previously, no comparsion, Chevy much superior, particulalry with respect to control and handling. Gas mileage great too after about a 5K mile break in period. Driving about 85% highway and 15% city we're getting a little over 19.5 mpg. Estimate the actual city/highway mileage breakdown would be 16/20. Not bad for 5300 lb full-sized van.

Favorite Features

Roominess, handling, power. Of course we enjoy all the Starcraft conversion amenities: heated leather seats, audio system, rear AC, towing oufit, etc.

Suggested Improvements

None really.

Express Cargo
By Linda Espiritu

2004 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 3500 Rwd 3dr Ext Van (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

We've owned this van and are still driving it, first in a cleaning use for my company where we cleaned new construction homes, and now for special functions at church ,school etc. I enjoy driving the van and being able to help so many people with various needs. It has a lot of room and functionality to offer for large families or groups for serious travel or for fun trips. I would highly reccomend this van to any one who is in need for such a vehicle.

Favorite Features

Good visibility all around. Good lighting inside and including the dash lights. Easy to handle on the road and turning radius is very good too.The windows all around make the traveling more pleasureable for all passengers. The seats are fairly comfortable for lengthy trips.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe some carpet runners between the seats would be nice to have, and on the steps as some times we sit on the steps and the floors, and the back to eat or just rest for a time. Also carpet at the drivers floor and passengers floor and we could have the option to put floor mats in to protect carpet.

Chevy makes a good work van
By ccroceiii

2004 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 3500 Rwd 3dr Van (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Having owned Dodge vans in the past for my contracting business, I was foiled by the 47 inch doorway clearance which did not allow a full sheet of plywood unless angled. Chevy provides access and ease of use. My van has exterior doors on the upper panels that allow access to even the most difficult corners of the custom built shelves. The dealer inadequately tried to explain it's new traction system. I don't know what it does, but have never been stuck in the snow with it. It looks a little strange with angled cut corners and a chicken wire grill. The walls are a bit thin and I know will not stand up to a load shift. Overall, a good truck.

Favorite Features

Traction system, powerful V8 engine.

Suggested Improvements

Styling. The truck looks like it has a headache when you look at it front on. And the front bumper stick out like a big lower lip.

Great car - chevy 2500 -60000 miles
By misu3108

2004 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 2500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this car in April 2004 to do delivery. Now it's almost october and I have 58000 miles on it.It runs great and I'm realy satisfied with it.I started to put synthetic oil and it seems that my gas mileage went up from 13-15 to 15-17 which is great even though I changed the oil about every 11000 miles as the oil light said.I'm trying to get even better mileage by buying tornadofuelsaver, but the consumer report says that it doesn't work.I didn't have any problems with it but I was thinking to exchange it with a Sprinter(diesel) to save more money.The reviews are not as good as the Express has so I'm still thinking about it.

Favorite Features

Power, reliability, bucket seats, design, good interior

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, diesel engine option, interior air sealing

GMC Savana Cargo Van
By bob998

2004 Chevrolet Express Cargo Van 1500 Rwd 3dr Van (4.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great van! Drives like a car, can haul over a ton, great brakes and steering. No rattles or noises -- get 20.2 MPG on the Hwy. The 4.3L six has excellent low-end torque, reliability and economy.

Favorite Features

Drive train -- 4.3L six is a terrific van engine, 4-speed auto with the tow/haul switch is like having two different rear axle ratios. Haul a ton and get 20MPG in a tight, quiet package -- GM got this one right.

Suggested Improvements

none