Used 2013 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews - 51 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Happy after almost 3 years and 20k miles
By Vicki

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Have been happy overall with my leased 2013 Equinox LTZ. Gas mileage in city (LA stop & go? traffic) consistently 20 mpg; freeway high 20's...low 30's in ECO mode.

Only issue thus far has been occasional hiccups in radio/nav system (occasionally doesn't turn on with car; often starts in radio mode rather than usb/iPod where it was when turned off).

In terms of design, really like sliding back seat...lots of rear seat leg room when not hauling cargo. Cargo space is a bit narrow, but has been adequate for my needs. Rear seats fold flat (as long as headrests retracted), creating good space when needed. Not thrilled with plastic door panels...very cheap looking.

Absolutely HATED front collision sensor, and turned both it and the lane indicator OFF shortly after purchase...front collision sensor would apply brakes when accelerating to pass, and also on "twisty road"...apparently it thought I was headed for the cars parked on the opposite side of the street so applied brakes...very irritating and potentially dangerous.

Fit and finish have been great. Absolutely no repairs required outside of routine oil changes/tire rotations. Tires and brakes still ok at 20k miles.

Been a Good Car so far but not Perfect
By DCSFORUM

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the Equinox new 3 years ago and have not had any troubles in 24,000 miles. I knew the 2.4L wouldn't routinely achieve the EPA fuel mileage numbers at typical highway speeds (and I'm frustrated at both Chevy and the EPA for unrealistic numbers) but a quick glance at the data on Fuelly.com shows it's nearly impossible to achieve the highway number (only 3 fill-ups out of 418 got 32 MPG) which is just wrong from a consumer standpoint. I have measured 29.5 MPG on a 500-mile highway run in ECO mode running 65-70 MPH. I don't know how the 4-cylinder will hold up either so I might opt for the 6-cylinder if I had it to do over again. I thought the 2.4L had reasonable power during my test drive but after 3 years of driving, it feels somewhat underpowered.

On the plus side, it's quiet and we have not had any squeaks or rattles. It has run flawlessly with no returns to the dealer for any reason other than oil changes. I think the Equinox looks pretty decent and handles well. Brakes and HID headlights are great. Good amount of room in the back seat. Side airbags are good to have.

Here are my observations on the negative side:
1. The center stack is angled away from the driver so reaching the main knob on the upper right of the radio requires the driver to lean forward away from the seat and I'm 6 ft tall with relatively long arms. This is terrible ergonomic design and is very frustrating over time. That control isn't accessible on the steering wheel so they force you to lean way forward to use it. Extremely bad.
2. I find the seats too firm. The firm seats bother my sciatic nerve and I start having numbness. I had to go buy a seat cushion to alleviate this problem.
3. The Equinox cargo room is much smaller than it should be for a vehicle of this length. The Equinox is the same length as our Buick Rendezvous but the Rendezvous has 3 rows of seating and offers two or three times more cargo space. According to Edmunds specs, the two vehicles only differ in width by 1 inch so I'm just puzzled how the Equinox is so much smaller in the back. It just strikes me that the Equinox is trying to be a small fuel-efficient SUV but it doesn't excel at either end of the spectrum. It doesn't achieve the EPA numbers but also isn't big enough to handle big family trips because of the small cargo area. The cargo area is also narrow enough that you can't put golf clubs back there.
4. As noted above, I'm not sold on the 2.4L engine. It doesn't achieve the sticker ratings and I'm uncertain how well it will hold up over time. I'm not sure we're saving enough fuel to be worth feeling this underpowered. Some people have reported
5. The 6-speed transmission is good at keeping the engine revs low for better fuel economy and I like the manual shift control but it is the worst-shifting new-car transmission I have ever owned. I don't consider it a severe problem but more of a constant annoyance. It's just not nearly as smooth as it should be. The car hesitates momentarily at every shift with first-to-second and second-to-third being the worst.

So, the bottom line for me is that it is a mixed bag. The car has been completely reliable which is ultimately what matters the most to me but I do have a few concerns as noted above.

Car Blows Up After Slow Speed Front End Collision
By John Kolesa

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had extended factory warranty repair work done on a stabilitrac sensor issue. I was told it was a high pressure fuel pump issue.

Less than two weeks after the warranty repair work was done through Carmax, I was in a low speed fender bender in bumper to bumper traffic in Houston. I pulled the vehicle off the road to exchange information and when I walked less than 30 feet from the car the engine caught fire. Flames 4 feet high coming off the hood. In less than a minute after that, the engine exploded and engulfed the front half of the car in flames. The entire car was destroyed in less than the time it took for the fire department to get there. I would not recommend this vehicle to anyone. I got it because I thought it was safe. Coincidence that GM implemented front end collision warning sensors on their new models? I don't think so. I would not put my mother in this car. Another few moments in that car and I would have been burned alive.

2013 Eqinox is in the shop for repair every few months
By nicolepalese

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased my Equinox June of 2013, when I brought it in for my first oil change, I already had an oil leak. Right around my second oil change I heard this horrible banging noise coming from the rear of the vehicle, the car needed a new secondary fuel pump, and sensor. Right before my 3rd oil change my check engine light came on, the car needed a new fuel rail pressure sensor. Now the car just came out of the shop this week due to a humming sound when I would turn on my ac. It turns out the car needed a whole new ac compressor. I have had nothing but problems with my new car. I have purchased 3 other brand new vehicles in the past, and never had any problems with them. Very disappointed!

My first new vehicle
By toody

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV AWD w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I've had my Equinox for over a year now and here are my pros and cons.
Pros:
-I haven't gotten stuck once during the first winter season with my all seasons. I can't wait to drive it with winter tires.
-I like the sliding backseat feature. My parents won't ride shotgun because they like the room in the back!
-Fairly good on gas and very decent on the highways when on eco mode
-Smooth ride, especially on highways
-Blind spot mirrors are very helpful

Cons:
-Wish the backseats would fold flat, it gives it a weird angle when folded.
-Very narrow space from behind
-Some of the interior gives it a cheap look and easily scratches and dents from normal wear
-Steering is sluggish

I love the myLink that it comes with. The screen is large and nicely positioned on the dashboard. The onstar feature is awesome for the fact that I'm not afraid to accidentally lock my keys in the SUV. I have that piece of mind that I can call onstar or use my phone app to unlock. Onstar also has allowed me to start my car from my phone since I park far from work. Only problem is it doesn't start all the time from my phone as it gives me an error message. Must be that odd communication thing. The Equinox has a ridiculously deep armrest storage compartment. You can put a lot of junk in there.

I would love to see the seats fold flat. It's awkward sometimes trying to store large items as it goes in a weird angle. There are no vents in the back so it takes a while for the passengers in the back to receive AC or heat. GM needs to use their space more wisely such as widening that awkward narrow back entry. Steering could be more crisp. It's decent to drive but it could use some work. Clearance could be higher in the front. I find that the front is pretty low and close to the ground and can be prone to scratches