Used 2013 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Everything we expected
By hugheskirby

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our 2013 2LT 2 months ago and just love it! We have 2000 miles on it now and have recorded a best of 33.9 miles/gallon on our second road trip. I like the "eco" mode as it really helps get better mileage. I have also towed our small utility trailer to pick up some gardening items and a tree to plant and was very surprised at how easily it pulled the trailer.

We love the 8-way power leather seats, and sun roof a lot, and the seats are very comfortable on long drives. I am 6'2" and 290lbs, and I have tons of room in this vehicle. I also like the 6 speed transmission a lot, as it helps to get better mileage, and easily handles steep hills.

The only thing I would want changed on our Equinox is a bit more noise insulation for less engine noise and road noise. There seems to be a lot of tire noise on cement freeways mostly.

Bad drivetrain in the 2011's
By lsmithhart

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We initially loved our Equinox, until the breakdowns and dangerous acceleration problems. The engine repairs began at 4500 miles or so, the transmission was repaired at 15,000 miles or so. With 30,000 miles, my wife doesn't feel it is reliable, so she drives the 2007 Mazda. The GM approach to satisfaction? Sorry!

Interior comfort.

Drivetrain!

Good overall value
By rider16

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased this equinox after owning the same car from 2010. Both are 4 cylinder AWD models. I have seen some posts involving engine issues but both my 2010 (50K miles) and my 2013 (12K miles) are both great cars. I get about 29 MPG on both combined driving and neither car is experiencing any engine issues or any other issues at all. My wife is a very aggressive driver and her 2010 still is running original brakes and tires. She never gets 50K on any of her vehicles so this has really impressed me about the car. I have the oil changed by the dealer when the OLM reaches between 30-40% which is still around 6K to 7K intervals. Just had both OLM upgrades and will post the new intervals

Handling is great. AWD runs fantastic in snow. HVAC with multiple fan speeds and entertainment system are great. I also have aftermarket hitches to carry bike racks and this is great as bikes ride safely in the rear and don't mark up the rear door. Also plenty of room in the rear for adult passengers. Very comfortable

So fare none. The 2013 does have a much improved ride over the 2010. Smoother shift points in transmission and better overall handling but both are good rides.

Putrid backup camera
By fairportion

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Wow, big screen display for camera.Finally, my wife has a car w/a camera. Hah! The camera is too dark to see when backing from a garage and then, apparently, it adjusts to the light and is better. Hmmmm? By then I guess you could run over 3 tricycles and a shovel. Likewise, at night, the camera is virtually useless. There is insufficient light from backup lights to illuminate the area you need to see. This thing should be recalled and fixed. NOW! Conversely, my Kia Soul camera works very well in all the same situations. So much for Yankee ingenuity and the $Billion bailout (oh yeah, my 2013 Equinox was made in Canada).Secondly, the luggage space is laughable compared to our RAV4s.

The ride is pretty quiet and smooth, something Honda & Toyota hadn't discovered thru 2012. The hands free Onstar phone is great when wife forgets her cell. Michelin tires. Fabulously well thought out power seat positioning, (though the controls require squeezing one's hands between the door an the seat). Other ergonomics fairly good including leg room length. Very tasteful upholstery & lighting. Digital speed display front and center for driver is a good alternative to analog dial. Keep both.

Backup lights need to illuminate the rear for camera!!! RECALL! Lose the massive plastic covers over the interior wheel wells. No room for luggage. WHY! Redesign the ridiculously tight and limiting driver's compartment. The knee-knocking console is downright claustrophobic and the door panels could be more concave to allow some knee room flexibility on trips. Provide a strap for shorter people to pull down liftgate.

2013 Chevrolet Equinox
By johnnie14

2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had this 2013 Equinox for about one month and I am very happy with it. It has a nice quiet ride, I love the stereo system, love the sunroof. In fact I love everything about it. We are taking it on a 300 mile road trip this next weekend and I am confident of a good ride and great performance. If there is one thing I would have any negative comment about, it would be the gas cap to fill it up with gas is on the passenger side! Other than that, I am very pleased with my new car. We are recently retired and this will probably be our last new car.