Poor gas mileage - please do not disregard
By robertlynnb on
2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
the macysmom9 review is exactly what we have found with our 4 cylinder Equinox. I actually took the car back to the dealer to see if there is some computer reprogramming they can do (they say there is not). Anyway, I just wanted people know that the car does not get anywhere close to the rated 32 mpg. Since the only reason I got the 4 cylinder was for the gas mileage, if I had it to do over, I wish I had gotten the 6 cylinder. I am very disappointed that Chevy can "game" the government tests to get high mpg numbers that most people will never achieve.
By techygeek82
on 12/27/11 11:58 AM (PST)

As OKCTHUNDER states, losing 3 - 4MPG with ethanol fuel, even if it's just the midgrade and not full e85 is going to cost people MPG. I haven't had my 2012 Equniox long enough to judge (still on its first tank) and am getting (as the onboard computer reads) about 21.6mpg. I will say I've done research and will only be filling up at local 'Top Tier' stations.

By okcthunder1
on 10/01/11 08:35 AM (PDT)

I'm curious as to what your mpg is; my last 3 tank averages were 27.7 (60 mile hwy trip on Labor Day), 25.0, and 25.2. That's pretty much in agreement with what the trip computer says as well. My driving is mostly suburban, so I'm very satisfied with the results, although I will concede that 32 on the hwy is probably unrealistic for most drivers. I discovered early on that gasoline with ethanol in it was costing me 3-4 mpg, so I use only Top Tier Gasoline (as recommended by GM-google for more info) that is in fact 100% gasoline. With direct injection (and really for all modern engines), quality and high detergency is critical for proper performance.

By speedypt
on 05/14/12 18:15 PM (PDT)

Update...I have the 2.4L 4cyl....3740 miles now. Lowest MPG tank - ALL city driving - normal driving (not granny) was 23.4 mpg. Best mpg tank so far...trip to Sedona (246 miles RT) I got 30.8 mpg - again...not driving like a granny. I use cruise control a LOT and I don't rocket off the stop lights. I simply could not be happier with my Equinox. I am going to LA in a month...I will report again after that trip since that's mostly flat hills on the way there.

By speedypt
on 03/18/12 00:35 AM (PDT)

Just finished my first tank of about 70% city/25% highway/5% idling in traffic and waiting for my kids. I got 28.1 MPG according to the computer. Just wondering if you all double checked your tire pressures (36 psi for all 4 on mine), used ECO mode and drove like a "granny". I clicked over to the instant while on the highway and saw 32 mpg with the air on and 36-38 with the air off. I got 544 miles out of my first tank - and I put in 17.8 gallons. Which seems to me like I got 30.5 mpg overall. I am very pleased. 2LT with 4 cyl for my 2012 FWD. I don't know what fuel the dealer filled it with for delivery. Hope you all are enjoying your Equinox as much as I am! Traded in my 2006 Crew Cab Silverado LT with 5.3liter V8. I miss that power but not the gas bill.....

By visionrider
on 07/31/12 04:55 AM (PDT)

The best we ever got was 26.2 mpg(hand calculated) on the first tank with the DIC showing 28.6 avg.EVERY TANK after the first our mileage KEEPS going down I just did a 75 mile RT run on the freeway with an average speed of 60 mph the DIC showed 31 mpg BUT when I filled up again at the same pump on the same day I put in 3.34 gal for a real mpg of only 22.4.I am really disappointed with the LOUSY fuel mileage.My 2012 V8 hemi 2wd crew cab gets 18.5 real mpg on this same loop.I wish I had not taken the extra cash instead of the ability to return this gas hog after 30 days.We love the Nox but the mpg sucks and I never expected to get the 32 mpg Chevy advertises but I really expected 26 -28 highway mpg.