New Equinox LS is a real value
By mfj949e on
2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)
In general the 2012 Equinox LS seems to be a great small SUV for the price. With only 1,000 miles on the vehicle I really appreciate the comfortable seats and tight ride. Of course time will tell. The only negative is the somewhat disappointing fuel mileage. I was able to squeeze 29 mpg on a road trip and that's 3 mpg less than the EPA/GM calculated highway mileage. Other than that this SUV seems to be all that it claims to be.
Favorite Features
I particularly like the OnStar System, for which I receive a 6 months free subscription and the XM Satellite Radio for which I receive a 3 month free subscription. I will probably purchase the OnStar Systems but not the XM Radio. The seats are extremely comfortable & we really appreciate their design.
Suggested Improvements
The fuel mileage must be increased to be closer to that which is EPA advertised. Prior to buying the Equinox LS, I have been able to top the EPA estimate on highway trips by driving the speed limit and avoiding "jack rabbit" starts. That's not the case with the Equinox. The other disappointment is the manual shift feature on the automatic 6-speed transmission. It won't down shift to first gear when coming to a full stop. Coupling the manual shift to a 4 cylinder engine doesn't offer as much engine-braking as it would with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine.
By mfj949e
on 11/17/11 11:52 AM (PST)

My latest MPH experience is 32.98 MPG! Again, this was calculated manually & was based on driving 250 miles, then refueled with 7.58 gallons of gasoline! Miles driven were about 70% highway (65 mph) and the remainder small town driving. Again, I am very pleased with this vehicle.

By mfj949e
on 10/27/11 11:30 AM (PDT)

I posted the mfj949e Review on 10/24. I've calculated, manually & accurately, the fuel mileage since I purchased the vehicle with each tankful of fuel. 10/2 = 24.86 mph/75% highway; 10/7 = 28.34 mph/50% highway-50% small town; 10/17 = 22.62 mpg/40% highway-60% small town; 10/26 = 28.33 mpg/50% highway-50% small town. Total, average mpg = 26.61. Now while this isn't world class fuel mileage & certainly doesn't meet EPA "estimates"; it is very acceptable in my opinion. Good job GM!

By mfj949e
on 04/30/12 06:27 AM (PDT)

I now have over 4,000 miles on my Equinox. Total MPG to-date is 26.2 MPG. This includes in-town and highway driving. Approximately 75% of driving is in-town with 25% highway driving. Everything operates as it should. FYI my dealer sent me a certificate for one free oil change. While the Chevy Maintenance Manual indicates it does not require a change until the Engine Oil "percentage" indicates 0% left OR 1 year, whichever occurs first (AND the oil must meet GM's DEXOS oil specs), my 50+ years of driving experience tells me the "factory fill" oil should be changed prior to Maintenance Manual recommendations (break-in contamination, etc.). Therefore I had the oil changed at about 3,000 miles. I was pleasantly surprised to see the retail price for the oil change (using DEXOS oil) was only $40.00 (about a $10 increase over "regular" oil). I think I'll settle on an engine oil & filter change interval of 5,000 miles instead of 10,000 miles. In my experience oil can easily become contaminated with dirt (air intake leaks past the air filter),moisture (oil pan condensation) and the oil's chemical thermal plasticizer breakdown.

By mfj949e
on 06/06/12 11:34 AM (PDT)

I now have over 5,500 miles on my Equinox. I recently returned from a trip to Pittsburgh PA driving through West Virginia; in the mountains. Overall MPG (calculated by me manually, not relying on the Equinox's computer), in the mountains was 29.19 mpg. I am therefore very pleased with this. I generally drove the speed limit which was often 75 mph and exceeded it downhill. The vehicle's 2.5L engine did struggle on steep uphill climbs, with the transmission downshifting & causing the little 4-banger to turn 4K rpm. It did keep up with traffic; however the high rpms caused the engine noise to increase significantly. However, this was a small price to pay for the value-per-dollar price, very comfortable seats and quiet ride. If GM could ever design & manufacture a reliable turbo-charger, that would enhance the performance of the 2/4L engine while not significantly increasing fuel consumption. Overall, therefore, I am still pleased with the Equinox. As a side note, the Dexos 1 oil required for the Equinox in order to meet the "extended" oil drain period is indeed a special formulation. Certain oils (i.e. Mobil) are GM Dexos "certified" oils which means their oils are approved through GM marketing department. Certain other oils, (i.e. Valvoline) meet the GM Dexos specifications but are not "certified" by GM. What does this mean? "Certified" Dexos oils are more costly than oils which meet GM Dexos specifications, because GM charges a premium to the oil company to be GM "certified". The oils which meet GM's specs are just as good & are covered under GM's engine warranties. Therefore using GM "certified" oils will cost you much more for an oil change! Check with your Chevy dealer or oil change vendor and get the details on the oils being used in writing. Buyer beware!