2012 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews 7

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

2012 Equinox Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Great vehicle all around, but...
By candurandu

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I use the Equinox for work and drive it in all conditions like rain, snow and total darkness. Like others have said, acceleration is adequate and MPG is so-so. The exterior look is handsome, if somewhat generic and reliability has been outstanding. The only real beef I have is a personal taste issue and it has to do with interior color choices. My Chevy has a black interior with a weird gray fabric on the seats and backrest all set off with red stitching. Really? Someone looked at this design and decided middle America would go crazy over this tonal mishmash? I think many sales have been lost due to this corporate decision as it appears to not be very stain resistant.

Favorite Features

Style- clean cut, if generic Utility- does everything I ask it to. Comfort- fits my 6'4" body very well. Very reliable- not an issue in 25,000 miles I have a base model for work, the fancier levels must be quite comfy

Suggested Improvements

less chaotic interior color choices One more power outlet up front MPG just Ok lock/unlock mechanism confusing- it's in the central panel, boomerag-shaped and not intuitive.

Poor gas mileage - please do not disregard
By robertlynnb

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

the macysmom9 review is exactly what we have found with our 4 cylinder Equinox. I actually took the car back to the dealer to see if there is some computer reprogramming they can do (they say there is not). Anyway, I just wanted people know that the car does not get anywhere close to the rated 32 mpg. Since the only reason I got the 4 cylinder was for the gas mileage, if I had it to do over, I wish I had gotten the 6 cylinder. I am very disappointed that Chevy can "game" the government tests to get high mpg numbers that most people will never achieve.

MPG Overstated
By macysmom9

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First of all, let me say that I love my Eqinox on all levels except for the MPG. You would have to be going down hill, 45 miles per hour with your foot off of the gas pedal to get 32 MPG, as advertised. I have owned this Equinox for 4 months. I drive at least 80% highway miles and always go the speed limit. I have never gotten better than 25.6 MPG, the average is 22.3 MPG. I bought the 4 cylinder model thinking that the gas mileage would be better. Honestly I should have kept my Tahoe. If you are looking for a car that gets good gas mileage....look at something other than an Equinox. I seriously think the EPA needs to evaluate this vehicle again and post the true MPG.

ECO Mode is a bit squirrelly
By pawcoboss

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a 4 cylinder Equinox. Have less than 500 miles on it. Good looks, great value, very comfortable, not going to win any races. Mileage claims I knew going in were significantly overstated but that's O.K. 30 years ago I bought a 1981 Cadillac Eldorado with the V-8-6-4 engine. State of the art technology @ the time. The only trouble was that the car seemed to be driving you rather than you driving it since it would decide when to run on 8 or 6 or 4 cylinders. A real technical flop for GM as it was discontinued after one year. Driving the new Equinox in the ECO mode reminded me of this- shifting into 5th or 6th gear and slow to respond on the downshift. I've since turned it off.

Favorite Features

Styling, Handling, Value, Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Owner's manual states all dimensions of ECO Mode:lower idle, quicker torque converter lock-up, slower converter unlock, different shift points, etc, all aimed at enhancing mileage I presume. Would like to know incremental value of selecting ECO mode vs. just leaving it off without the exotic engineering built in to the transmission software. With it off, it drives more predictably and more pleasurably.

Worth the price
By lanehalli

2012 Chevrolet Equinox LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a Chevy Equinox base model with the Bluetooth package the only added feature. After nearly 800 miles, I am very happy with my purchase. The Equinox delivers fine performance (even the 4 cylinder moves enough with it's smart 6speed transmission). The car steers, brakes and handles with superior results. As for gas mileage, I get around 16 mpg around the city, but 31-32 on moving highways, so I am satisfied. I would think a driver would get around 20 mph around a normal suburban town as the Equinox uses tons of gas starting and stopping in city traffic. The standard features the car is equipped with are more than adequate, as I love the Onstar Navigation and blue-tooth.

Favorite Features

On star, XM radio, blue tooth, and computer dash system. Realize to keep these options you need to add $35 bucks a month to the price of the Equinox. Handling, braking and drivability. I love the gas mileage on the highway as it far outperforms my Toyota four cylinders. And I fell that the base model is comparable with Toyota's Limited RAV features at a much better price.

Suggested Improvements

I think the doors on the Equinox need a stiffer hinge, as they have easily closed on my children several times. You have to make sure the door is FULLY open so that it does not close. I wish the XM and Onstar had longer trial periods. Also there is a significant blind side on this car to the right rear that makes highway lane changes and right merges a bit more challenging than the average car