2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:
First 1000 miles
By bannon on 11/10/11 07:24 AM (PST)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Put my first 1000 miles on it, and so far no complaints. Fuel mileage over all is 24 mpg, getting around 29 mpg on the highway and 22 mpg in the city. I driver around 70 mph on the highway to give you an idea. Ride is smooth and quite! Plenty of power for this size of vehicle from a 4 cylinder engine. Chose the Equinox over the Terrain due to the cool blue/white interior lighting, the red of the Terrain is tough to take on a long trip. Now will see how it holds up over the years and miles.

Happy Sofar with the 2012 Equinox
By valed4313 on 11/04/11 12:50 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Overall I'm quite satisfied with my purchase. Nice to have leather seats when it's 13 degrees in the mornings. And we really love the remote start. I went all out with features on this vehicle and I'm not at all sorry that I did.

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE
By rumblev on 11/02/11 18:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I was dying for an Equinox and nearly bought a 2010 and boy I am glad I didn't! There is a huge comfort difference! I was worried about backseat space for my 9 and 5 year old but there is more room than I imagined and the trunk space is more than I need as well. The driver and passenger is beyond comfortable and I love the touchscreen radio and the controls on the wheel. My husband couldn't understand why I wanted one but now he loves it too! Gas for me so far was what I did in a 2005 toyota corolla ce. To me its a great vehicle inside and out! I don't think I have ever ridden in a more comfy vehicle. I will try to post when I have put more miles on it (so far 400)

Looks good, but think before buying
By mp1983 on 10/24/11 11:25 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV AWD w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So I recently bought a 2012 equinox 2LT, pretty much fully loaded. One thing I did not realize was how low a profile to the ground that the model has. There is a rubber apron under the front bumper that drops the profile of the car to close to the ground--I'm wary of driving it in the new England winter weather, afraid I'll bottom out on ice and snow. I've easily scraped it on sidewalks or pulling up to a curb in a parking lot. Another issue is tough rear visibility. The rear window is quite small and it is difficult to see driving in reverse. As much as I like my first new car purchase, part of me is regretting not noticing these details before I signed.

New Equinox LS is a real value
By mfj949e on 10/24/11 05:58 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

In general the 2012 Equinox LS seems to be a great small SUV for the price. With only 1,000 miles on the vehicle I really appreciate the comfortable seats and tight ride. Of course time will tell. The only negative is the somewhat disappointing fuel mileage. I was able to squeeze 29 mpg on a road trip and that's 3 mpg less than the EPA/GM calculated highway mileage. Other than that this SUV seems to be all that it claims to be.

Nosey Drive and not true to its MPG
By luckyhands on 10/19/11 10:18 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I just purchased a 2012 Chevy Equinox 1LT 4 cyl FWD last week after test driving a bunch of cars. I was down to two vehicles (Veloster and Equinox). As a single parent I chose the Equinox for the fact I was thinking about a family vehicle for me and my two elementary daughters. 1st of all, it get's nowhere near the 22/32 as listed. I took a road trip with 95% freeway miles and I average about 26mpg. Wow, what a GYP! 2nd, there is a loud noise while driving over 55mph and get's loader when I reach 65mph. I took it in to service dealer and they said they cant find why its making a noise but they think it's was the tires. [violative content deleted]! I should of got the Veloster. Hope I can trade it back in.

Great vehicle all around, but...
By candurandu on 10/02/11 15:46 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV AWD (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I use the Equinox for work and drive it in all conditions like rain, snow and total darkness. Like others have said, acceleration is adequate and MPG is so-so. The exterior look is handsome, if somewhat generic and reliability has been outstanding. The only real beef I have is a personal taste issue and it has to do with interior color choices. My Chevy has a black interior with a weird gray fabric on the seats and backrest all set off with red stitching. Really? Someone looked at this design and decided middle America would go crazy over this tonal mishmash? I think many sales have been lost due to this corporate decision as it appears to not be very stain resistant.

Poor gas mileage - please do not disregard
By robertlynnb on 09/12/11 13:53 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/2LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

the macysmom9 review is exactly what we have found with our 4 cylinder Equinox. I actually took the car back to the dealer to see if there is some computer reprogramming they can do (they say there is not). Anyway, I just wanted people know that the car does not get anywhere close to the rated 32 mpg. Since the only reason I got the 4 cylinder was for the gas mileage, if I had it to do over, I wish I had gotten the 6 cylinder. I am very disappointed that Chevy can "game" the government tests to get high mpg numbers that most people will never achieve.

MPG Overstated
By macysmom9 on 08/30/11 09:01 AM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

First of all, let me say that I love my Eqinox on all levels except for the MPG. You would have to be going down hill, 45 miles per hour with your foot off of the gas pedal to get 32 MPG, as advertised. I have owned this Equinox for 4 months. I drive at least 80% highway miles and always go the speed limit. I have never gotten better than 25.6 MPG, the average is 22.3 MPG. I bought the 4 cylinder model thinking that the gas mileage would be better. Honestly I should have kept my Tahoe. If you are looking for a car that gets good gas mileage....look at something other than an Equinox. I seriously think the EPA needs to evaluate this vehicle again and post the true MPG.

ECO Mode is a bit squirrelly
By pawcoboss on 08/22/11 13:42 PM (PDT)

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Just bought a 4 cylinder Equinox. Have less than 500 miles on it. Good looks, great value, very comfortable, not going to win any races. Mileage claims I knew going in were significantly overstated but that's O.K. 30 years ago I bought a 1981 Cadillac Eldorado with the V-8-6-4 engine. State of the art technology @ the time. The only trouble was that the car seemed to be driving you rather than you driving it since it would decide when to run on 8 or 6 or 4 cylinders. A real technical flop for GM as it was discontinued after one year. Driving the new Equinox in the ECO mode reminded me of this- shifting into 5th or 6th gear and slow to respond on the downshift. I've since turned it off.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox Suv in VA is:

$128 per month*