Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Disappointing
By Zachary A. Horn

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car was great for the first few years I owned it. I bought this car new with 15 miles on it in early 2012. I drive about 30,000 miles a year between work and personal use, and performed all recommended maintenance. Around 50k or 60k miles the car started running rough in between oil changes. When I started checking the oil levels more frequently I noticed it was using 2-3 quarts of oil in between oil changes (performed every 5,000-7,000 miles even though the owner's manual recommends 15,000). At 80k the timing belt broke. At 85k it used 3 quarts 1,500 miles after an oil change. It is currently at the dealership having the engine rebuilt. Fortunately I have 15k of warranty left.

Favorite Features

Nice mpg, comfortable cab, and smooth ride. I love the standard XM radio.

Suggested Improvements

Apparently these cars have a reputation for falling apart around 60k miles. Numerous owner boards report the same pattern I describe above. They start using oil, and it is all downhill from there. Fortunately I am dealing with a good dealership that has been proactive in trying to fix the car and cause as little inconvenience to me as possible. But that doesn't make up for the fact that a 3 year old car with less than 100k miles on it has to have the engine replaced/rebuilt. The engine's poor reputation and the fact I put a lot of miles on a vehicle has left me with a car barely worth what I owe on it under a 5 year repayment plan. As soon as it is fixed - it is gone.

It is a very under powered vehicle
By 389gto

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2012 Equinox new that year. I like the looks of this vehicle. While on a highway trip It felt very busy driving. I was trying to adjust the throttle pedal to slight hills for climbing power. I tried the cruise control it helped some. The transmission shifting too low gears when you want to pass. It was better to pull over and let people pass.

Favorite Features

I like the looks. The interior is ok too

Suggested Improvements

I believe a 4.3 liter V-6 would do the trick like the old s-10's. at least a 4 liter and 4 speed transmission. I think the 4 cylinder cars are okay, but not such a big suv.

2012 Equinox - just ok
By s_l_w

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We love the way the Equinox looks, but looks can be deceiving. Our 2012 Equinox has been in the shop way too often for a fairly new car. The main issues we've had are (1) the hub bearings had to be replaced, (2) the Check Engine light came on due to a faulty gas cap, and (3) the transmission jerks at low speeds. Replacing the hub bearings fixed the issue of the popping noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. Replacing the gas cap did not fix the problem, so the dealer just replaced a faulty valve in the fuel system. We still haven't gotten a solution for the jerking transmission and the dealer says they didn't find anything wrong with it. These repairs are such an inconvenience!

Favorite Features

Lots of room inside the cabin and in the rear storage area, decent gas mileage, exterior looks nice

Suggested Improvements

More power, remove red stitching on seats, add ventilation to the back seats, add dual zone climate control to the front seats

Defroster Issue
By heinemann

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Defroster, heat blowing on the windshield on high heat (85 degrees), high fan, with the air conditioning button off, isn't sufficent to defrost windshield and melt freezing rain and snow on the upper half and the far left side of the windshield. Dealer says there's no problem. Been a GM buyer many times before but this is the last one even through I'll give up GM credit card $$.

Favorite Features

I honestly can't say any.

Suggested Improvements

Use Hyundai, Ford and others examples to design an exterior that's has more style, impression. Price is to high for what a buyer gets in design and features compared to others I looked at.

2012 Eqinox Just OK
By grngob

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have owned my 2012 Equinox - 4 cylinder/FWD - since may of 2012. I have never gotten more than 29.5 MPG highway, not close the 32 Chevy quotes. (In fact, I got 22 MPG on one tank - some city miles spoem highway). Very disappointing. The FM radio has reception issues and fades in and out on occaision. It is a nuisance more than anything.

Favorite Features

The Equinox has a nice ride and fits what I bought the SUV for. It is a bit tight in the cargo area, but OK for me.

Suggested Improvements

A 4 cylinder engine should get much better milage than even the 32 Checy claims the Equinox should get. Improved gas milage would be a huge plus for this vehicle.