Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LT SUV Consumer Reviews - 19 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Been great so far
By Chuck Hoover

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought my 2012 new, it now has 42000 miles on it. It has NEVER been in the shop for anything except oil changes and tire rotation.I have a 4 cyl.FWD will get 33 mpg on highway going 65..about 28 going 78. about 20 in stop and go city driving. It does make a jumpy transmission shift if you hit the gas while it is downshifting on occation not always. Has not been great in snow but didnt have the right tires on it. Just now put better tires for snow on it last week.I drive to Florida 2 times a year from Pa. it is very comfortable.Change oil every 5000 miles.After reading about the poor oil consumption I will start watching it now. Havent had any oil problems yet.

Disappointing
By Zachary A. Horn

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car was great for the first few years I owned it. I bought this car new with 15 miles on it in early 2012. I drive about 30,000 miles a year between work and personal use, and performed all recommended maintenance. Around 50k or 60k miles the car started running rough in between oil changes. When I started checking the oil levels more frequently I noticed it was using 2-3 quarts of oil in between oil changes (performed every 5,000-7,000 miles even though the owner's manual recommends 15,000). At 80k the timing belt broke. At 85k it used 3 quarts 1,500 miles after an oil change. It is currently at the dealership having the engine rebuilt. Fortunately I have 15k of warranty left.

Nice mpg, comfortable cab, and smooth ride. I love the standard XM radio.

Apparently these cars have a reputation for falling apart around 60k miles. Numerous owner boards report the same pattern I describe above. They start using oil, and it is all downhill from there. Fortunately I am dealing with a good dealership that has been proactive in trying to fix the car and cause as little inconvenience to me as possible. But that doesn't make up for the fact that a 3 year old car with less than 100k miles on it has to have the engine replaced/rebuilt. The engine's poor reputation and the fact I put a lot of miles on a vehicle has left me with a car barely worth what I owe on it under a 5 year repayment plan. As soon as it is fixed - it is gone.

It is a very under powered vehicle
By 389gto

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I purchased the 2012 Equinox new that year. I like the looks of this vehicle. While on a highway trip It felt very busy driving. I was trying to adjust the throttle pedal to slight hills for climbing power. I tried the cruise control it helped some. The transmission shifting too low gears when you want to pass. It was better to pull over and let people pass.

I like the looks. The interior is ok too

I believe a 4.3 liter V-6 would do the trick like the old s-10's. at least a 4 liter and 4 speed transmission. I think the 4 cylinder cars are okay, but not such a big suv.

2012 Equinox - just ok
By s_l_w

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We love the way the Equinox looks, but looks can be deceiving. Our 2012 Equinox has been in the shop way too often for a fairly new car. The main issues we've had are (1) the hub bearings had to be replaced, (2) the Check Engine light came on due to a faulty gas cap, and (3) the transmission jerks at low speeds. Replacing the hub bearings fixed the issue of the popping noise when turning the steering wheel at low speeds. Replacing the gas cap did not fix the problem, so the dealer just replaced a faulty valve in the fuel system. We still haven't gotten a solution for the jerking transmission and the dealer says they didn't find anything wrong with it. These repairs are such an inconvenience!

Lots of room inside the cabin and in the rear storage area, decent gas mileage, exterior looks nice

More power, remove red stitching on seats, add ventilation to the back seats, add dual zone climate control to the front seats

Defroster Issue
By heinemann

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LT 4dr SUV w/1LT (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Defroster, heat blowing on the windshield on high heat (85 degrees), high fan, with the air conditioning button off, isn't sufficent to defrost windshield and melt freezing rain and snow on the upper half and the far left side of the windshield. Dealer says there's no problem. Been a GM buyer many times before but this is the last one even through I'll give up GM credit card $$.

I honestly can't say any.

Use Hyundai, Ford and others examples to design an exterior that's has more style, impression. Price is to high for what a buyer gets in design and features compared to others I looked at.