2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV 2.4L 4-cyl. 6-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

2012 Equinox Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Good Compact SUV
By carguy07054

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have 13K miles. Good fuel economy. Best so far was 30.8MPG on a 600 mile trip driving @ 65-70MPH. Average 25.5MPG in mixed driving. Lot's of room inside. Comfortable seats with good support. Good ride and suspension is well tuned.

Favorite Features

Lots of standard equipment for the base model LS like bluetooth, laminated glass, noise cancellation, and adjustable 2nd row seats.

Suggested Improvements

Make rear cargo privacy shade standard. Center information display menus a bit confusing, it could be simplier.

Not what I expected!
By algoma

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Even the blind spot mirrors don't really help. The blind spots are still there, especially with the design in the back. If the back seat head rests aren't in your blind spots, then its the blindness from not being able to see out the rear windows. There is also a hesitation with the engine when driving down the road. I wish I had my the van I traded this in for. I have driven earlier models of the Equinox before, and the blindspots aren't an issue like they are with this model. Not happy with the gas mileage either. The interior isn't roomy when it comes the front seating area. If you drop something in between, you might as well forget about getting it back.

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the blind spots! Make it roomier in the front seating area or at least make the middle counsel removable.

Good Overall Value and Style
By wavesherwood

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Great versatility. Beautiful vehicle in and out. Only problem we have had so far is the rough engine idle which dealer says is unduplicatable but they did update computer program. that helped some, but we are still experiencing some intermittent rough engine idle especially when sitting at stoplights. Blind spots and camera depth perception makes backing up tricky.

Favorite Features

Rear back-up camera, stereo and blue tooth capabitilities, solid handling and the beautiful distinctive Crystal Tint Red exterior.

Suggested Improvements

Improve back-up camera depth deception, blind spots and fine tune the engine idle problems. Also, a little wider track would lend greater handling response and turning stability. Go Chevy engineering!

Great Car But Has Rough Idle at Times
By sos7

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I got my 2012 Chevy Equinox back in April of 2012. I love the car but at times the car has a rough idle, and is even worse with the "ECO" button on. It doesn't get the gas mileage that GM has promised.

Favorite Features

The heat and air condition is great, and the audio jack to in my car so I can listen to music on my iPhone is great!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the idle!!

MPG ratings not accurate
By gk125963

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am finding the MPG ratings to be way off. I have never even come close to the 33 MPG highway, and am averaging 21 MPG in combined city/highway driving. My driving habits are such that I try to conserve gas, but it does not seem to make a difference.

Favorite Features

Nice dashboard and interior. Sporty looking.

Suggested Improvements

MPG needs to be revised.

Best Choice We could Have Made
By samme2007

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought a Jeep back in Oct. Completely unsatisfied. Started shopping around and came across the Equinox. I wanted a car that was made in the us or has us workers for the car. I know that Chevy was most certainly the best option. I am completely satisfied and I love my car so much more than I could have ever liked the Jeep Compass.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage. We average 27.4 mpg. AMAZING! Compared to the 15-18 we were getting in the Compass. Space: I love the extra space this car has, the console swallows my arm reaching down into it. All of the cup holders the door middle and back seat cup holders. We love all of the power outlets and the AUX center being hidden.

Suggested Improvements

Honestly I have not found anything that I can think of that the car needs. We are sitting at 4,000 miles on the car and we are completely satisfied. The bluetooth is one thing I wish was a little different, it always syncs with my fiance's phone and I have to manually change it. That is one improvement that we could figure out something that gave us the notification as to which phone we could sync up. Other than that, we have no other improvements we can think of. Overall we will return to Cheverolet from here on out as long as they remain a Canada/US based company.

Bad milage
By sheila428

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I just purchased this car 2 weeks ago. I purchased it because i believed the gas was great. Well, it's not! i am only getting about 16 or 17 mpg and the tank is not a 18.8 gal. I filled it up and it was only 14.8 gal, which means that the tank size is probably only about 15 or 16. What a hugh lie. I am so upset right now. This was one of my hugh reasons for purchasing it. Please Chevy stop with the lies. It's not a good look. I should have purchased the Crv or sorento. I will be traveling next week and the bill is going to kill me. What a mess of lies.

Favorite Features

I do like the style and features inside.

Suggested Improvements

Make the gas tank the size you say and the gas what you say it is. The back seat does not go back that much.

The Great Car in this price
By ardavan

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love this car, the best car in this price. It's very comfortable, has a good handling, you can trust him on the way with a lot of meanders

Bad gas Mileage-Transmission Jumps!
By ongarvey

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am leasing this vehichle and it states gas mileage that isn't correct for all states. Apparently in an E-85 gas the fuel ecomonmy is terrible so thinking It was a smart buy because my car was only getting 16mpg ...Now this only gets about 17mpg combined city and highway not even close to 26 combined. On top of that something is going on with it, it jumps into gear sometimes and when using cruise it's not a smooth transition when using the button to accel

Suggested Improvements

The manufacturer should have to tell you or you would expect the dealer to be real about it. I am on a very tight budget and the repairs on my old car was nickel and diming me to death. I justified the purchase on newer car, no repairs for 3 years and better gas mileage!

First and Last GM product!
By old_yogi

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LS 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My Equinox was delivered to my home (Fort Gratiot, MI) 8 March 2012. 9 March 2012 I drove it to Indianapolis, during the drive there the transmission would not downshift in time to stop the engine from lugging when going up a grade. I have been told that there will be new software to correct this problem in May 2012. while in Indianapolis the "Malfunction Light" came on, OnStar (another story) told me if I didn't get the vehicle in for service within one day that the warranty could be voided. I found a dealership on Saturday that informed me the "cam actuator" was defective and that the redesigned cam actuator was on backorder, backorder, and that I should not drive the Equinox any great dis

Suggested Improvements

GM sold me a vehicle with parts it knew would probably fail, causing me to be stuck in Indianapolis for 5 days. Now there is a rubbing sound when I turn the steering wheel. I have had the Equinox just over 1 month and have just over 1000 miles on it. None of my previous VW, Toyota, Ford ever had to go for warranty work.