Used 2012 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ SUV Consumer Reviews - 4 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV

View reviews for a specific Equinox model:

Why would you need a HORN?!
By connie

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We have owned out 2012 Equinox since Dec. of 2011. Beginning in Jan. of 2015 the horns have gone out 4 times. Thanks to the extended warranty we purchased when we bought the car , they have been replaced 3 times. The first time they went out the dealer said it was a very unusual happening , this was January 2015. Mar. 2015 they quit working again and were replaced with the comments that they didn't think they had ever replaced them twice on a vehicle like this. May 2015---out again. This time I made a call directly to GM and was told that this hasn't happened before. I really don't care about before but do care about my car. After explaining the horn troubles twice they decided that it might be water but DUH I live in northern Iowa and the roads do get wet! They then transferred me to a senior advisor and I retold my story. Her solution was that I had bought the extended warranty so no problem--get them fixed. I said I had 50,000 miles left but at the rate they horns were going out I would have to return to the dealer 25 more time. Her response was simply that the warranty would cover them!! Who cares--each time it is a 20mile drive each way , and about an hour repair time...WHO is reimbursing me for that? She then suggested that I not use the car wash, the same one I had washed it in for the first 3 years of ownership and the horns were fine . Again MY PROBLEM not theirs! The solution that was finally given my dealership was to drill holes in the horns for water to seep out..so after the last car wash I did not have horns for 2 weeks while I waited for the water to drain.
Second complaint--- at 59,000 miles the seat is cracking. I was already very unhappy with the leather seats due to the little tiny holes in the leather that fill with any little piece of whatever is on them . The only way to get them clean is to poke each little hole with a toothpick. Not satisfied but I know it is me getting the stuff on the seats so I was tolerating this. But torn seats !! Not happy.
It has only twice in 3 years met the advertised 30 mpg. 21 to 26 is much more normal-again disappointing!
Needless to say an Equinox will not on my list of vehicles to purchase again!

Where do I start
By stmyers

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 LTZ equinox with 14k miles, I can not count the times I have had to take it in for problems. This past week, my check engine light came on. Dealer said it has to do with the air filter we put in (k&n) we replaced the filter back to the orig. one and the light came on again. Called a different dealer and they said they were too busy to get my car in for at least two days... Do I just drive the car around with the check engine light on? Then, Today, I went to use my remote start and the remote start is not working. For as much as they cost, you think GM would get it right the first or second time... I'm very disappointed with GM and more so with the dealership I purchased the car

Equinox LTZ
By norwin

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought the 4 cyl LTZ in May 2012 and we are happy with the performance and styling of the vehicle.I was a little leery of buying a 4 banger but after a 900 mile trip was pleasantly surprised with performance and gas mileage. The first tank (in ECO mode) got 31.4mpg at 65 to 75mph with ac on,2 people and luggage on board. Sure, its not going to perform like the big boys, but I feel comfortable with it's power in traffic and never feel like I have to "get over get run over." Subsequent mileage checks for the type of driving we do are in 28-29mpg range.

The LTZ has many nice features and is very nicely equipped for a car in this price range. We like them all, the leather memory seats,on star,onboard navigation,rear vision camera and the list goes on. If you are truly interested in the Equinox,grab a book at the dealership and check it out. The LTZ comes with several upgrades as compared to the LS and LT models and then you can decide which one is right for your needs and wants.

Sure, I like the LTZ but I also think GM missed the boat on a few things. It would have been nice if they would have included a power front passenger seat and a built in garage door transmitter. Two things I really don't like are the driver info center is a little bit cranky and the fuel tank door is on the passenger side, but these things are not a deal breaker.

Better equipped and built than the competition
By labluebabe

2012 Chevrolet Equinox SUV LTZ 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We test drove the new Mazda CX-5, Ford Escape, Nissan Rogue, Hyundai something and a few other SUVs. The top of our list was the Equinox, Escape and CX-5. The Ford and Chevy were our two favorites, but at the end of the day the Equinox was cheaper for the fully loaded version and came with a 100k mile/5yr warranty, vs the 60k on the Escape. We got the LTZ loaded with FULL LEATHER seats, not partial leather in the Titanium (beware! you can find full leather Escape Titaniums but MOST of the Titaniums are PARTIAL leather where just the middle insert is leather!).

To anyone looking at new SUVs, be sure to test drive BOTH the V6 and 4 cylinder Equinox, there's a huge difference in power!

We love the 264hp V6, 3500lb towing capacity and amazing legroom in the back seat. The center electronics in the 2013 Escape are harder to use, whereas in the Equinox its easy to find everything +has hard buttons for the most frequently used tasks. Nav and bluetooth calls are super easy. I also like how I can send a Google map STRAIGHT to my car from my phone - how awesome is that? The microphone is amazing - when you make or receive a call you just talk normal like the person is sitting next to you. It's awesome to be able to talk and drive without fumbling for your phone. The collision detection and lane change systems are ingenious, and the backup camera with park assist is invaluable.

We were willing to forego the higher mpg 4 cylinder for the V6, as we like having passing power - but like everyone else we wouldn't mind if the V6 got 30mpg. We're averaging about 20mpg right now with mixed driving, which isn't bad for a powerful SUV. We would like to see side step bars, the Equinox isnt hard to get into for adults but we have a 3yr old and it would help him to have the step. He manages to get in on his own, just has to exert a bit more energy (being a toddler we dont mind him getting a little tired!) Oh, OnStar could be a bit cheaper, we like it has 6mo free but $30/mo is a bit steep. They have a cool app for your Android / iPhone that lets you start your car remotely.